A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Experience with aftermarket windshields?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with aftermarket windshields?

Didn't find this as a search topic, so here's a new thread.

Ok, got a nice 12" crack in my windshield and will need to replace it this month for inspection.

Any experience with aftermarket windshields on our A6s? Ok, stay away?

No insurance coverage for glass so I'm going to be out of pocket with this one. With my GMs I haven't had any problems with aftermarket windshield which were usually about 1/4 of what GM would have charged me to install OEM glass, not sure if Audi would be any different.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have no experience w/newer AUDI windshields. Put 2 in my 1st '95 S6 that were Pilkington's and they had slight waviness in top right quadrant in front of passenger.
I've attached a link to Milburn Audi (NJ) online parts catalog. Their catalog is available online but the discount only shows up if you've registered as a customer. The person who set up their online parts operation is Carson Heter, a very knowledgeable & friendly young man.
Let us know how Safelite etc. glass houses compare pricewise.
Good Luck!
https://millburnaudiparts.com/parts/...&siteid=218119

Last edited by stuffinder; 08-16-2014 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've looked at online sources and the prices are reasonable for OEM windshields ($345 if I remember correctly), the problem I think would come from trying to get an installer to install parts that aren't theirs.

Thanks for the tip on the aftermarket experience, I'll keep that in mind. I'm just afraid of going to the Audi dealer and finding out they'll want $1000 to change a windshield when I could get a quality aftermarket for $300.

I guess I'll break down and call the local dealer near my employer, maybe I'll be unexpectedly, pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wake96c4
I just replaced mine out of pocket with non-OEM windshield and I could not be happier. The original was badly pitted and driving into the sun was crazy. The new glass was sourced from Pilkington and I don't see any waviness.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, got a nice 12" crack in my windshield and will need to replace it this month for inspection.

No insurance coverage for glass so I'm going to be out of pocket with this one. With my GMs I haven't had any problems with aftermarket windshield which were usually about 1/4 of what GM would have charged me to install OEM glass, not sure if Audi would be any different.
Local Audi dealer up here uses Safelite. I've used them before on other vehicles and was impressed. Here's an older B8 link.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ement-2770502/
Old 08-16-2014, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't you have insurance that cover glass?.. over here in Sweden we change oem windshield for like.. 300$ includes everything.. 😊
Old 08-17-2014, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

did mine recently and the cabin noise is horrible.
going to have to replace it again once i figure out which company can come closest to the original thing.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got the car CPO and that dealer put a non-OEM one in. The intermittent wipers did not work well. OEM windshield installed and everything was back to normal. The window for the sensor was off/not aligned just right. Go OEM if you can IMO.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've had mine replaced by safelite twice in the last two years. First time went with the premium option which included a solar coating. It was for $499 or so and I believe is the same manufacturer that BMW uses - Gobain or something. The next time, didn't go with the premium option and it was the same glass (or atleast it looked the same to me) - for $350 installed. No problems with it - and the rain sensor works fine as well.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
I've had mine replaced by safelite twice in the last two years. First time went with the premium option which included a solar coating. It was for $499 or so and I believe is the same manufacturer that BMW uses - Gobain or something. The next time, didn't go with the premium option and it was the same glass (or atleast it looked the same to me) - for $350 installed. No problems with it - and the rain sensor works fine as well.
Interesting fact I found while getting a safelite quote. I priced the windshield install at home and came up with $350 for the non-solar window like you mentioned. Checked for an installer around where I work and the same windshield is $50 more installed.

Going to get it done next week, need to get the car inspected by 9/1.

I'll give my impressions when done.