A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Extreme oil leak after dealership.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme oil leak after dealership.

I bought my 2006 A6 4.2 S-Line 7 months ago, I discovered after 2 months, that the car had a small oil leak, nothing major. I usually drive about 1,000 miles a month, so every two months I would have to add 2 quarts. About a month and a half ago, I took the car in for an oil change, and to replace my oil pressure sensor. I got a call from the dealership that the car had a catastrophic oil leak. I told them do not worry about it because it wasn't too bad, and I could not afford it. I noticed after that that I was gradually adding oil more, and the car was leaking more. For example, last Thursday I put in two quarts of oil, and noticed that while I was in the gas station, that the amount of oil that came off within 2 minutes, is what usually would be a whole day before Audi worked on it. This past Tuesday I had to add TWO more quarts of oil, now I am starting to see that it is getting crazy, the car is just leaking oil like crazy. The next day I added one more quart of oil, and after the car sat for about 4 hours I drove for about 2 miles and got the warning again. So I added another quart. I drove on the highway for 40 minutes and it is already telling me to add more oil.

I called the Audi dealership of Hoffman Estates, and described the issue. They told me to bring it in Friday, and they want to charge me $150 to check where it is coming from. My concern is I don't want them to try to pull a fast one on me. It seems pretty suspicious that after I got the car worked on by them, it starts leaking like no tomorrow. My oil leak is coming from the front of the engine, somewhere around the bottom 5-6 inches.

Did the techs need to go around this area when replacing the oil pressure sensor? Did they need to go around here to do the oil change? If so, for any of these questions, what could it be?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Hey God,

Is this the same car that had the low oil pressure light come on 2 and 1/2 months ago and you kept on driving it despite forum members warning you that you were damaging the car and that you really needed to fix it before the problem got worse; but instead you decided to keep driving it and adding oil? Now after driving the car, which already had more than 165k miles, with the low oil pressure light glaring at you, you want to blame the mechanic that told you that you have an oil leak? In response to being told that have an oil leak you told the mechanic not to worry about the oil leak; and you are now surprised that the oil leak is gradually getting worse and you want to see if you can blame the mechanic for the problem? While you may be God, us mere mortals take responsibility for our decisions.

Last edited by KevinGary; 10-23-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The OP needs to get this fixed ASAP. If you don't like the dealership get an Indy to do it. I presume it's not under any sort of warranty anyway. There's not much point trying to blame the mechanic, you already know that there's a leak and he just pointed it out. Then fix it please before it does any further damage. Don't shoot the messenger. It'll be difficult to prove that the oil change caused it to leak more oil when the part was already defective.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That was me, the oil leak that my car had was really small. a few drops over night. I used the car and realized that the light would come on if I went over 2k rpms. I have driven on that for 20 minutes without the light even turning on. I took it to the pep boys down the street to do a pressure check, they said the pressure was fine, and told me that I just needed to change that. I took it to the Audi dealership, they told me that the pressure was fine, I just needed to change the sensor. Then they told me I had a catastrophic oil leak about an hour later.

So my question, if you would have read correctly is; did the mechanic have to go around this area at all to perform an oil change or change this sensor? maybe he left a nut loose, maybe he put a defective o-ring.

I had mechanic screw me over before. I had a euro mechanic change a valve cover on my other car, and after that my car started to leak oil like crazy (not as intense as this) I took the car back to them and they "fixed" it, but little by little, it still kept going. I took it to them twice after that, they did not want to admit to messing up the car. Which they not only messed up, but they kept loosing parts too. I'm missing my splash guard, and the plastic piece for my intake. So the last time I took it they wanted $150, I did not pay because they kept loosing my stuff. I took the car to another shop and sure enough they had to replace the valve cover because it was a poor quality valve cover that was bent up. The valve cover was "fixed" with silicone. After this shop did their work, The car has been fine.

So at the end of the day, I just wanted to see if the dealership made a simple error. I said no because it's a dealership, and we all know they like to add a bunch of stuff you don't need done. A small oil leak of a few drops a night is not catastrophic.
Originally Posted by KevinGary
Hey God,

Is this the same car that had the low oil pressure light come on 2 and 1/2 months ago and you kept on driving it despite forum members warning you that you were damaging the car and that you really needed to fix it before you made the problem worse, but instead you decided to keep driving it and adding oil? Now after driving the car, which already had more than 165k on the clock, with the low oil pressure light glaring at you, you want to blame the mechanic that looked at the car and immediately said hey buddy you have an oil leak? In response you told the mechanic not to worry about the oil leak and you are now surprised that the oil leak has gradually become worse and you want to see if you can blame the mechanic for the problem? While you may be God, us mere mortals take responsibility for our decisions.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have an appointment to bring it in to the dealership in the morning tomorrow, no warranty. I am not saying it is their fault, I am just wondering if they made a mistake on not tightening something, or putting a defective o-ring. Because if they made a mistake, then it's not as serious as I thought, and we just have to fix a simple mistake.

Originally Posted by Comfy
The OP needs to get this fixed ASAP. If you don't like the dealership get an Indy to do it. I presume it's not under any sort of warranty anyway. There's not much point trying to blame the mechanic, you already know that there's a leak and he just pointed it out. Then fix it please before it does any further damage. Don't shoot the messenger. It'll be difficult to prove that the oil change caused it to leak more oil when the part was already defective.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by joe the god
That was me, the oil leak that my car had was really small. a few drops over night. I used the car and realized that the light would come on if I went over 2k rpms. I have driven on that for 20 minutes without the light even turning on. I took it to the pep boys down the street to do a pressure check, they said the pressure was fine, and told me that I just needed to change that. I took it to the Audi dealership, they told me that the pressure was fine, I just needed to change the sensor. Then they told me I had a catastrophic oil leak about an hour later.

So my question, if you would have read correctly is; did the mechanic have to go around this area at all to perform an oil change or change this sensor? maybe he left a nut loose, maybe he put a defective o-ring.

I had mechanic screw me over before. I had a euro mechanic change a valve cover on my other car, and after that my car started to leak oil like crazy (not as intense as this) I took the car back to them and they "fixed" it, but little by little, it still kept going. I took it to them twice after that, they did not want to admit to messing up the car. Which they not only messed up, but they kept loosing parts too. I'm missing my splash guard, and the plastic piece for my intake. So the last time I took it they wanted $150, I did not pay because they kept loosing my stuff. I took the car to another shop and sure enough they had to replace the valve cover because it was a poor quality valve cover that was bent up. The valve cover was "fixed" with silicone. After this shop did their work, The car has been fine.

So at the end of the day, I just wanted to see if the dealership made a simple error. I said no because it's a dealership, and we all know they like to add a bunch of stuff you don't need done. A small oil leak of a few drops a night is not catastrophic.
without actually being there and visually seeing EXACTLY what was done, there's no way to confirm anything. Could the change of the sensor potentially cause a greater leak to appear...sure, but then again it cold be that you had a leak and any change of environment would only have made it worse, regardless. I'm with the rest of the responders on this thread...you need to DIAGNOSE why you are leaking oil vs. simply 'topping up'. All you've done is simply address the symptom vs perform any root cause analysis on addressing the problem.

At the current time, you have a severe leak somewhere, without pictures/videos, it's near impossible for anyone on this forum to assist. Furthermore, a good mechanic will know right away where it's coming from and potential resolutions. BTW, I've NEVER seen an oil leak remain the same over time, it never gets less and always gets worse...so what's happened to your vehicle is in fact pretty normal.

BTW, I know a lot of folks here bash dealers, but I for one have had GREAT experiences at a dealer I've frequented from time to time. Not only addressing an issue correctly, but offering follow-up support which has been very welcome. Plus their lead tech is super well versed in the cars and has been able to save $$ and time, by not simply 'trying this or that' but fixing it right the very first time. To me that is of value. I don't mind 'wrenching' myself...see my previous C5 and current C6 work, but for some jobs the headache(s) and time is not something I want...so I leave it with an expert.

Synopsis: you had a leak, it got worse, you need to step up and fix the problem.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joe the god
I am just wondering if they made a mistake on not tightening something, or putting a defective o-ring. Because if they made a mistake, then it's not as serious as I thought, and we just have to fix a simple mistake.
Stop wondering, you have already admitted to gross negligence in treatment of the engine and now you are trying as hard as you can to blame someone else. Raj is correct, it's a pre existing condition that you ignored by pouring quart after quart of oil. Lord, NOT GOD, only knows what permanent damage you have done. The fact that you did not think the horrible oil leak status before you went to the dealership was worth fixing says legions about your skill and judgement. It appears your definition of a really bad leak is when the oil floods out of the engine faster than you can pour it back in.

The oil sensor is a simple fix, it's impossible to badly screw up. I garantee they started the engine and looked for leaks after changing. Bad o rings do NOT leak immediately. They leak after many hot cold cycles, get hard and then leak. I doubt there is even an oring for the sensor, most likely a copper or crush gasket.

As Kevin said, us mere mortals take care of our Audis and avoid being in a state of denial, which is not a river in Egypt.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle

As Kevin said, us mere mortals take care of our Audis and avoid being in a state of denial, which is not a river in Egypt.
Showing my age, but this made me think of Da-Bears. Being a life long Mets fan I have spent many years on Da-Nile. Being a NY Giants fan it looks like I will be on Da-Nile for the rest of the football season as well. Sorry for the diversion.

Perhaps God will realize that Da-Audi needs to be cared for and that he can't blame Da-Mechanic for his own carelessness.

Last edited by KevinGary; 10-24-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crank shaft pulley gasket, unlikely leak that much oil

oil filter housing or valley gasket leaking from the top out the front is definitely possible

oil/coolant cooler exchange is highly possible

upper oil pan is a possibility, extremely expensive to repair

lower pan could be leaking, but if so should be the obvious source of leak
Old 10-24-2014, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm not trying "as hard as I can" to blame the mechanic. I'm just simply stating that I bought a car a few months ago, and noticed a small leak of just a few drops over night, nothing major, just like 2 or 3 drops. I had them work on it, and they told me it was catastrophic (in my opinion it was small) but I couldn't afford that, because I just replaced the engine speed sensor, the oil pressure sensor, and did an oil change. I noticed that in the 2 months that I had the car back from them, little by little I started noticing more oil, but within the past 2 weeks is where it has been too much. I just recently lost my job, and just got engaged, so money is an issue for me. So, my initial thought is maybe they made a mistake. I'm no mechanic, therefore I do not know too much, which is the reason why I joined this site, to gain knowledge from people who know more than me. Little by little I learn. I do know that with my older A6, I have been screwed by a mechanic who specializes in euro cars. I have a friend that is a Honda tech, and he even admits that sometimes mistakes happen. I (who does not know about this kind of work) thought, "hmm what if they did not tighten something all the way, or what if an o ring or something is bad." That's why I asked on here. I never thought it would be possible for an oil leak to go from just a few drops to leaking a quart of oil in a day.

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Stop wondering, you have already admitted to gross negligence in treatment of the engine and now you are trying as hard as you can to blame someone else. Raj is correct, it's a pre existing condition that you ignored by pouring quart after quart of oil. Lord, NOT GOD, only knows what permanent damage you have done. The fact that you did not think the horrible oil leak status before you went to the dealership was worth fixing says legions about your skill and judgement. It appears your definition of a really bad leak is when the oil floods out of the engine faster than you can pour it back in.

The oil sensor is a simple fix, it's impossible to badly screw up. I garantee they started the engine and looked for leaks after changing. Bad o rings do NOT leak immediately. They leak after many hot cold cycles, get hard and then leak. I doubt there is even an oring for the sensor, most likely a copper or crush gasket.

Quick Reply: Extreme oil leak after dealership.