A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

headlight help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default headlight help

I have searched for this but I end up going down some road that leads me away from my focus (squirrel!!).

I just bought an '06 A6 Avant with HIDs. They seem weak and I want them brighter. The polycarbonate wind screens are oxidized as well.

1) Is there a higher wattage bulb 45-55w that drops in?
2) Is there a specific aftermarket LED headlight assembly that will work with my vehicle?
3) Is there a specific aftermarket HID set w/LED DRL that will work with my vehicle.

Looking at Spyder's website, I see they all state "not compatible with HID" whatever that means.

Can someone recommend some parts for me? ;-)

I sure am enjoying this Audi.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizzyhawk
I have searched for this but I end up going down some road that leads me away from my focus (squirrel!!).

I just bought an '06 A6 Avant with HIDs. They seem weak and I want them brighter. The polycarbonate wind screens are oxidized as well.

1) Is there a higher wattage bulb 45-55w that drops in?
2) Is there a specific aftermarket LED headlight assembly that will work with my vehicle?
3) Is there a specific aftermarket HID set w/LED DRL that will work with my vehicle.

Looking at Spyder's website, I see they all state "not compatible with HID" whatever that means.

Can someone recommend some parts for me? ;-)

I sure am enjoying this Audi.

Thanks.
If it were me, I'd be first cleaning the headlight lens cover and then replace the battery with OEM one. The actual HID do degrade over time and I've seen these last, so you might be on original bulbs which are 1/2 the brightness that they should be. Just order off Amazon and you'll be happy.

As for aftermarket LED kits/housings, they all seem to be very hit and miss, with more issues than they are worth. If you want LEDs, get OEMs from 2010 model year and you'll need to do some VCDS coding, but they will be a direct fit.

BTW, Search the forum, since most of what you asked is covered. Good luck
Old 05-27-2016, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

The reason the aftermarkets are not for your vehicle is that you have the self-leveling and steering HID lights. The aftermarket lights do not have the necessary actuators if you put them in you will get an error due to the missing motors. The connectors to the headlight may also not be compatible.

I agree, you should refurbish the plastic lenses using one of the many available kits and then get new bulbs.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am struggling to find 2nd hand genuine HID headlights for my A6. One with the park light built-in to it. I have found one without the park light but they don't work for my car. Any recommendation where I can buy this light please. Tried Ebay with success. If anyone needs HID headlights without the park light, I can direct you to the right direction. Many thanks Eugene from New Zealand.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eugene@formtec.co.nz
I am struggling to find 2nd hand genuine HID headlights for my A6. One with the park light built-in to it. I have found one without the park light but they don't work for my car. Any recommendation where I can buy this light please. Tried Ebay with success. If anyone needs HID headlights without the park light, I can direct you to the right direction. Many thanks Eugene from New Zealand.
Did you try Shokan?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I haven't. Will try them. Many thanks.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by eugene@formtec.co.nz
Eugene, do you have a part number? I can see if I can get one local at a wrecker and I can get a quote to ship to NZ...I get a discount through work. Lmk
Old 05-28-2016, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you very much. Part numbers are as follow;
4F0941029EH(HID, park light built-in), LH
4F0941030EH(HID, park light built-in), RH

Thank you very much again.

Cheers