hitch on '06 A6 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion

A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007-present

hitch on '06 A6

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member

Default hitch on '06 A6

Goodday, does anyone have recommnedations for getting a hitch? Is class 1 the only option available? Are any retractable or hdden? I am willing to modify my bumper cover if will result in better towing options.
Cheers
dknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey,

I recently installed a hitch on my 05 A6. I could only find one that fit at the time and that is the draw-tote 24836 (Found it on amazon for $130), I did look for a hidden hitch but did not see any. I am pretty happy with the hitch so far, used it to tow my jet ski home from the dealer. It is pretty simple to install just goes on the exhaust mounts and one other bolt into the outside house usually where a tow hook goes. I would highly recommend it, also installed trailer wiring (4 plug style) myself if you need help with that.

Hope that helps!
hermanesfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
AudiWorld Newcomer

*correct draw-tite
Old 02-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanesfd View Post
I am pretty happy with the hitch so far, used it to tow my jet ski home from the dealer.
It sounds like future tranny issues.
eazy211187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:44 AM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy211187 View Post
It sounds like future tranny issues.
I would not think the combo of light driving and light towing will be putting that much stress. I guess its what individuals feel comfortable with. I do not have any first hand experience ...yet.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Former Vendor

The Class 1 trailer hitch is the only option for a 2006 Audi A6. Curt manufacturing makes a good class I for the A6, which can be found here. This hitch can still tow up to 2,000 pounds of gross trailer weight (GTW), so it's no slouch. We also sell trailer hitch kits which include both the hitch and the applicable wiring harness.

Happy towing!

Last edited by HitchAnything; 03-04-2014 at 08:57 AM.
HitchAnything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitchAnything View Post
We also sell trailer hitch kits which include both the hitch and the applicable wiring harness.
For the kit, the site says "no avaiable products under this category" when I put in my year, make, and model - 2006/A6. Any other suggestion for getting a wirting kit?
I am looking to purchase soon.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknj View Post
For the kit, the site says "no avaiable products under this category" when I put in my year, make, and model - 2006/A6. Any other suggestion for getting a wirting kit?
This is what i used:
Amazon.com: Hopkins 46255 Power Taillight Converter: Automotive Amazon.com: Hopkins 46255 Power Taillight Converter: Automotive
Old 03-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #9
Former Vendor

Quote:
We could easily make a kit (i.e. combine the hitch and wiring harness together) for you. We just need to know what hitch and wiring harness you need.

http://www.hitchanything.com/Trailer-Wiring/

If you go here you can see the different types of wiring harnesses for your 06 Audi. If you're not sure, check out this article we did explaining the different types of trailer wiring:

http://www.hitchanything.com/trailer...ram-guide.html

Of course, if you still don't know what wire to get, I'm happy to help. If you let me know what hitch and wiring harness you want, I can combine them to save you some money.
HitchAnything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm actually not sure which wiring harness is most suitable. I'm looking at a 5 x 8 utility trailer. I guess it would be a 4 way, unless someone has a suggesion for an additional accessory? I'm pretty sure my vehicle uses LED taillights, so is there anything special there?
Old 05-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi All,
I'm still trying to get the wiring set for the hitch. The tail lights on my '06 A6 are LED, which may be different then the 2005?
Does that make a difference as far as the taillight converter is concerned?
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Hi All,
I'm still trying to get the wiring set for the hitch. The tail lights on my '06 A6 are LED, which may be different then the 2005?
Thanks!
No it does not, get the normal converter and it will work. You just have to make sure you connect the correct wires. On my converter you don't end up using the brake wire because the blinker wire acts as brakes because the led taillights act as both break lights and blinkers for the car
Old 05-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks!
2005 is also LED
1 OF 1 IN THE UNITED STATES - 2015 A6 TDI Prestige with 19" Sports Package with Season Dedicated Tires - Oolong Gray Metalic, Nougat Brown Interior, Dark Brown Walnut Inlays, Black Headliner, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision Assistant with Pedestrian Detection. Summer Tires - Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Winter Tires - Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, Eurocode Sway Bars and Links

RIP - 2005 A6 4.2 - (February 2005 - August 2014) (142,000 miles)

C6 TSB Library link (Thanks to Dr. Cold for his help in setting this up) http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/
KevinGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #14
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanesfd View Post
No it does not, get the normal converter and it will work. You just have to make sure you connect the correct wires. On my converter you don't end up using the brake wire because the blinker wire acts as brakes because the led taillights act as both break lights and blinkers for the car
Just so I am clear, is the following correct?
1. Connect one turn signal from the car to a turn signal wire on the converter
2. Connect the other turn signal from the car to a turn signal wire on the converter and also to the running lights wire.
3. Dont use the brake light wire / ground it out.
4. Connect power wire from the converter to the 12V battery.

Last edited by dknj; 06-02-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Just so I am clear, is the following correct?
1. Connect one turn signal from the car to a turn signal wire on the converter
2. Connect the other turn signal from the car to a turn signal wire on the converter and also to the running lights wire.
3. Dont use the brake light wire / ground it out.
4. Connect power wire from the converter to the 12V battery.

Everything looks good except for #2. You can not use the turn signal wire for the running light wire. If you do this you'll only have the lights when the blinker is on. The running light wire needs to be connected to the lights below the blinker (non led) so it will get constant power so the running lights will work regardless of if the blinkers on or not.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #16
Audiworld Junior Member

i have been flat towing a vw golf chumpcar behind my 2006 A6 4.2 for 4 years 200-300 km per trip without any major problems other than the tow lights occasionally malfunction at night - one side or both running lights go off. doesn't appear to be a bad wiring connection and I thought it might be the additional load above the usual LEDs at night. everything works fine again when the tow lights are disconnected.
red rabbit racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #17
Audiworld Junior Member

makes sense, thanks all.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #18
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitchAnything View Post
The Class 1 trailer hitch is the only option for a 2006 Audi A6. Curt manufacturing makes a good class I for the A6, which can be found here. This hitch can still tow up to 2,000 pounds of gross trailer weight (GTW), so it's no slouch. We also sell trailer hitch kits which include both the hitch and the applicable wiring harness.

Happy towing!
How about for an '08 S6? is there a bolt-in part # i can reference on your site?
rjfjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #19
Audiworld Junior Member

This is what I've had on my 06 for 2 years:

Wiring:
Amazon.com: Hopkins 46365 Short Proof Power Converter: Automotive Amazon.com: Hopkins 46365 Short Proof Power Converter: Automotive

Hitch
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2006300947
daredevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a6, audi, audiforum, audiworld, dknj, forums, hitch, towing