A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

sealing center brake light in avant

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default sealing center brake light in avant

Hi,

I have to take out the rear center brake light in my avant. It seems the was some caulk between light and the metal part of the gate to seal off water comming though the gate. The manual did not say anything about replacing the caulk. Do I need to put a bead of household caulk there or just leave as is?
Would it make water leaking under the rear gate lining?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beep-beep
Hi,

I have to take out the rear center brake light in my avant. It seems the was some caulk between light and the metal part of the gate to seal off water comming though the gate. The manual did not say anything about replacing the caulk. Do I need to put a bead of household caulk there or just leave as is?
If you are planing to use any caulk, I would use caravan caulk not household caulk.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replace mine last year qnd ther was no caulk under the old or the new one. Only a small foam gasket.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by life4sk8
I replace mine last year qnd ther was no caulk under the old or the new one. Only a small foam gasket.
Did you replace yours due to the read center LED intermittently throwing a code? Seems there is a defect in the C6 Avant center rear LED soldering.

I think I saw an extensive DIY on another forum that explained how to remove the rear window trim to get to the light - and even how to re-solder the bad connections.

Did you do it yourself?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remove the red glass and get to the led. The connector was rotten due to the salt and water on the quebec road in the winter.... I tey to fix it but it was to far away. So I end up by buying a new one....
Old 12-02-2015, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Did you replace yours due to the read center LED intermittently throwing a code? Seems there is a defect in the C6 Avant center rear LED soldering.

I think I saw an extensive DIY on another forum that explained how to remove the rear window trim to get to the light - and even how to re-solder the bad connections.

Did you do it yourself?
I have the shop manual and removed it myself (after removing the trim). I cleaned the connector and it worked without showing code after this. I did not try to take the light apart.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beep-beep
Hi,

Yes, in fact mine was dripping out of one of the lights at the bottom of the gate. I kept hearing water sloshing in my tailgate every time I opened or closed it. First one of the LEDs blew and than the whole light went. I had to replace unit and after, took the old one apart and corrosion was significant. Wasn't much left of the little foam rubber gasket in fact I only knew there was a gasket there after looking at the new replacement. Thought I solved the water in the tailgate problem until I opened the gate again yesterday after about 6 months. I can't imagine the water getting in anywhere else so I'm also thinking about some sealant because all other seals around the gate are intact and making contact.