A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

General G-Max AS-03 tire - Review

Old 07-14-2012, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default General G-Max AS-03 tire - Review

After a bit of research on these tires I could not find a lot of information on the web but I still decided to buy them based on my needs. After driving for couple of thousand killometers, I thought to put few of my thoughts down for anyone else who may be considering the same tires.

These tires are UHP all season tires (whatever that means) Their threadwear rating is relatively high at 480, which was partially the reason why I considered them.
They look very aggressive on the car, and sidewalls also look nice.

Prior to these tires I was riding on Hankook V12s and these tires were amazing. The grip was great, handling and steering response were excellent. In my opinon, they were the best tires I have ever owned in terms of performance. The down side was that they wore very fast, and replacing them that often meant spending a lot of money, which I was not prepared to do. I also use a designated set of winter tires for almost half a year, and Hankook only lasted me for two seasons and not much driving (maybe 20-25K KMs - not miles).

After researching a bit, I figured that General is owned by Continental, and the tire has high wear rating.

Fast forward to present.
I like the Generals a lot. Let me just be very clear. They are NOT summer performance tires, and you can tell. Right after the switching from Hankooks to Generals, I could tell the big difference in handling, response and even stopping. All these factors were not as good as on hankooks.
Having said that, Generals are not bad by any means. They are simply not "as good" as the V12.
Although the "performance" isnt at the same level, they still perform very well and I quickly got accustomed to that. Now I feel very comfortable pushing the car when needed (or wanted).

On the flip side, switching to AS-03 did provided something that I thought was lost forever. They brought back the comfort, and completely got rid of the harshness that I was experiencing. General's go over the cracks in the road with zero transfer to cabin, and they deal with all the road imperfections and hwy joints very well. Going over large dips can sometimes feel a bit mushy, but I think that simply putting more air in them would solve that.

My car is lowered, and I battled the harshness of ride for a long time. I even considered changing my suspension back to factory at one point. Everyone I was talking to was saying that they were not experiencing the same problems, and this was all due to tires. I knew that tires can make a lot of difference in the ride quality, but never knew it would be this much. These are by far the most quiet and most comfortable tires I have ever owned. And for that, I like them MUCH better than Hankooks and I finally again enjoy driving my car.

Picking the right tires is very personal and everyone will have different priorities and needs. If hard core performance is what you are looking for, than these may not be for you. But if you are looking for a well balanced, every day comfortable tire, that Generals are a great choice.

If you want more detailed info on any of the particular points feel free to let me know and I will do my best to give you a point of view.

Cheers,

Last edited by olikoli; 07-14-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Geb
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What psi are you running on these?

Originally Posted by olikoli
After a bit of research on these tires I could not find a lot of information on the web but I still decided to buy them based on my needs. After driving for couple of thousand killometers, I thought to put few of my thoughts down for anyone else who may be considering the same tires.

These tires are UHP all season tires (whatever that means) Their threadwear rating is relatively high at 480, which was partially the reason why I considered them.
They look very aggressive on the car, and sidewalls also look nice.

Prior to these tires I was riding on Hankook V12s and these tires were amazing. The grip was great, handling and steering response were excellent. In my opinon, they were the best tires I have ever owned in terms of performance. The down side was that they wore very fast, and replacing them that often meant spending a lot of money, which I was not prepared to do. I also use a designated set of winter tires for almost half a year, and Hankook only lasted me for two seasons and not much driving (maybe 20-25K KMs - not miles).

After researching a bit, I figured that General is owned by Continental, and the tire has high wear rating.

Fast forward to present.
I like the Generals a lot. Let me just be very clear. They are NOT summer performance tires, and you can tell. Right after the switching from Hankooks to Generals, I could tell the big difference in handling, response and even stopping. All these factors were not as good as on hankooks.
Having said that, Generals are not bad by any means. They are simply not "as good" as the V12.
Although the "performance" isnt at the same level, they still perform very well and I quickly got accustomed to that. Now I feel very comfortable pushing the car when needed (or wanted).

On the flip side, switching to AS-03 did provided something that I thought was lost forever. They brought back the comfort, and completely got rid of the harshness that I was experiencing. General's go over the cracks in the road with zero transfer to cabin, and they deal with all the road imperfections and hwy joints very well. Going over large dips can sometimes feel a bit mushy, but I think that simply putting more air in them would solve that.

My car is lowered, and I battled the harshness of ride for a long time. I even considered changing my suspension back to factory at one point. Everyone I was talking to was saying that they were not experiencing the same problems, and this was all due to tires. I knew that tires can make a lot of difference in the ride quality, but never knew it would be this much. These are by far the most quiet and most comfortable tires I have ever owned. And for that, I like them MUCH better than Hankooks and I finally again enjoy driving my car.

Picking the right tires is very personal and everyone will have different priorities and needs. If hard core performance is what you are looking for, than these may not be for you. But if you are looking for a well balanced, every day comfortable tire, that Generals are a great choice.

If you want more detailed info on any of the particular points feel free to let me know and I will do my best to give you a point of view.

Cheers,
Old 08-16-2012, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am currently running 38F and 36R. I did at one point go down to as low as 34 all around, and while comfort was amazing, car was a bit sluggish to respond to acceleration, breaking and steering.
Current set up seems to do the trick.
Originally Posted by Geb
What psi are you running on these?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just switched from Generals that i had on for 26k (which is great for me) to the cont DSW ( I have had this tire on another car) I will wait to do a write up after i get one of my Hub rings replaced
Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would be curious to hear the difference between DSW and Generals...

Originally Posted by CHIO
I just switched from Generals that i had on for 26k (which is great for me) to the cont DSW ( I have had this tire on another car) I will wait to do a write up after i get one of my Hub rings replaced
Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm getting ready to dump my worn Conti DWS and just ordered a set of Toyos newest A/S tire - Proxes 4-Plus. Should have them on by next week and will report initial thoughts. They have a 560 tread wear rating!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

UHP A/S means Ultra High Performance All Season.

I currently run Yokohama YK580's and I experienced the same thing as you, a notable decrease in performance but a huge increase in comfort, noise, ride quality and especially tire wear.

I run mine at 40psi front and rear.

Turborusty