A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Humming/Whining Noise 2006 A6 4.2 Quattro

Old 04-01-2015, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming/Whining Noise 2006 A6 4.2 Quattro

Within the last few days I have started noticing a annoying humming/whining noise starting at the 25mph mark and continues to get louder the faster I go.

I just got an oil change in the last month, and did also get a tire rotation. I run 3 aggressive tires and one Michelin tire (not ideal but how it was when I purchased), and prior to the rotation the off tire was in the rear left position and now is in the front left. I have not noticed anything up until the last 5 days or so, and last Friday I got an alignment which showed I had some uneven wear on the tires, so I am thinking (hoping) that the noise I am hearing is due to different treads running than before the alignment.

Has anyone else had this issue and does this sound reasonable? Or is it something else I should be cautious about and get checked right away?

I recorded a video for the sound from my phone but cannot get it to convert to an approved setting for upload.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As an add on to this, I have now noticed that the noise is more vibrant as I am slowing down, particularly in the 40 down to 20mph range. It almost sounds like a 10hp boat motor if that makes sense.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like it's the tires. Speed related humming/whining is usually the tires, especially when they are rotated and/or are old.

Time to get a new set if this annoys you too much.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the response!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no worries, just you wallet getting ready to empty...
Old 04-03-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I posted this on another thread as I have noticed some updates to this in the last couple of days, here is a better description:

AFrancis, if you do not mind me asking, did the noise you heard almost sound like a low speed boat motor? I have a 2006 A6 4.2 and recently started hearing this noise in the last 5-7 days. It seems strange though because as the car is parked in my garage, I can somewhat hear a buzzing sound, but nothing really kicks in until I start accelerating. Once I hit 15-20mph I can hear it, and it gradually become louder as I go faster.

I just had a tire rotation and alignment, and am starting to wonder if that had anything to do with it. It almost sounds like a fan is grinding on something; but I do not have any other issues as you stated as well.

I just do not want to make anything worse by letting it go on; I go to my Uncle's mechanic in Toledo (I live in Akron, about 2.5 hours) because he gives me unreal price breaks, but was just there last Friday and did not want to have to run back up so soon.

Any thought?

And thank you in advance for any help.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rstrata57
I posted this on another thread as I have noticed some updates to this in the last couple of days, here is a better description:

AFrancis, if you do not mind me asking, did the noise you heard almost sound like a low speed boat motor? I have a 2006 A6 4.2 and recently started hearing this noise in the last 5-7 days. It seems strange though because as the car is parked in my garage, I can somewhat hear a buzzing sound, but nothing really kicks in until I start accelerating. Once I hit 15-20mph I can hear it, and it gradually become louder as I go faster.

I just had a tire rotation and alignment, and am starting to wonder if that had anything to do with it. It almost sounds like a fan is grinding on something; but I do not have any other issues as you stated as well.

I just do not want to make anything worse by letting it go on; I go to my Uncle's mechanic in Toledo (I live in Akron, about 2.5 hours) because he gives me unreal price breaks, but was just there last Friday and did not want to have to run back up so soon.

Any thought?

And thank you in advance for any help.
Does it increase with speed or RPM? There could be two unrelated issues going on here...
Old 04-06-2015, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by FormulaElement
Does it increase with speed or RPM? There could be two unrelated issues going on here...
The sound amplifies as my speed increases, but it does not change due to RPM.

After reading some other thread, I have done some quick tests and noticed that when I turn the steering wheel to the right the sound amplifies pretty significantly, and if I turn it to the left nothing happens, if anything the sound decreases.

The noise starts becoming noticeable around 19 mph, and lingers whether I am speeding up slowing down or breaking.

Thank you very much for your help and response; looking forward to hearing what you think it may be.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Wheel bearing?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Wheel bearing?
That is what I am thinking based on research and testimonials; sounds like front left wheel bearing.

My major concern, as well as every other Audi owner, is that there is not something wrong that will cost me thousands of dollars.

Thank you for the response; if anyone else has any other thoughts all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Humming/Whining Noise 2006 A6 4.2 Quattro