A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

HVAC Blows very hot air on side vents

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
Well my fix disables the heater which means you can set your A/C to blow cold/cool air but not hot air. But if you want just air (not cold/not hot) then you can press the ECON button on your A/C controller to turn the compressor off.
Rather if the ECON button is on or off Iam geting very hot air from the upper and side vents after the car reaches 90*C.....
If I fix it you way there will be no temperature adjusting and no warm air, right...?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Found video about evaporator core...?Is it related with my problems?
Or maybe air-con/heater air blower motor?

Jeeeez.....
Old 01-01-2016, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default AC temp variance from LHS (cool) to RHS (warmer)

Originally Posted by A6Riddler
Nice write-up......

I’ve done as shown in your post and it’s made a small amount of difference, but not fixed the fault – but they were clean anyway no gunk on them.

I get the same issue every time I use the car be it hot or cold outside, set the CC to LO – LHS front dash vent (Ice Cold) RHS front dash vent (warm, not hot) middle vents the LHS is slight cooler than the right but neither feel cold certainly not Air-Con cold –

Before I go spending cash on changing the whole pump unit – is this what you were experiencing before the fix ? as mine isn’t intermittent it’s every time ?

I’ve had the car re-gassed, not too sure if it was cleaned but this made no difference at all ? – When I turn the ECON button on /off I can hear the compressor kit in and the revs drop slightly when it’s running so I guess this is working, as I do get Ice cold air from the far LHS vent.

Changed the Air filters under the back of the dash, but this only improved air flow not temp. ?

Or is there anything else that can be done to ‘find’ the root of the issue ??

Thanks ……….

Hey riddler, sorry this thread is old but I'm positive I have the same issue on my A6 2007 3.2

Lhs vent cold but as you say the more you move to the rhs it looses its cool

My mechanic apparently by passed the valve by clamping hose and said it was not at fault, I'm still not convinced and thinking of cleaning or replacing the valve controller, no error codes detected and all flaps and valves "showing " operation

I als had them try the control unti but no change

Next step they said was to remove the dash and check all valves,

Would love to know if you ever resolved your issue and if anyone else has or had the same symptoms,

Thanks all
Old 05-07-2016, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was performing the fix to clean the valve pump, which I have done once before. However after I put everything back together I noticed a lot of coolant had leaked onto the floor from under the car. What could I have done to make this happen? there were no leaks before, I opened the expansion tank cap when I was doing this as well so that nothing would over flow from the valves as I was cleaning it. I'm really dumbfounded as to what I could have done. I'm hoping some how stuff just over flowed when I wasn't paying attention and I didn't create a leak, I don't see how I could have all I did was remove the cover and then put it back on.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thx rstoer for this fix!
&, kelisko, I had the exact same result as you. My middle front screw broke also! Like yours, it didn't take hardly any force. It just snapped. But, no leak yet..

I had been "dealing" with the hot air for the last couple of months, mostly shutting my vent went hot air blew out.

While I didn't find much "gunk" on the pistons or on their cylinders, it seems to have done the trick!

I thoroughly value this forum. It's guided me to purchase a great car, be able to change out the upper cam tensioners for $400-500, without pulling the engine, change out the trans filter & fluid for $250 & fix this HVAC issue in short order, for free!
Without this forum, it'd be tough to have this car.

Last edited by LarryJa; 05-10-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryJa
Thx rstoer for this fix!
&, kelisko, I had the exact same result as you. My middle front screw broke also! Like yours, it didn't take hardly any force. It just snapped. But, no leak yet..

I had been "dealing" with the hot air for the last couple of months, mostly shutting my vent went hot air blew out.

While I didn't find much "gunk" on the pistons or on their cylinders, it seems to have done the trick!

I thoroughly value this forum. It's guided me to purchase a great car, be able to change out the upper cam tensioners for $400-500, without pulling the engine, change out the trans filter & fluid for $250 & fix this HVAC issue in short order, for free!
Without this forum, it'd be tough to have this car.

I agree. I love this forum too.

I think you will eventually have to replace the unit with an updated one. I ended up replacing mine back in January with the updated fixed unit, during my 55k service: ( https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...moval-2895182/ )

Name: Heater Control Valve Unit
Description: Common cure for intermittent heat with the A/C on
Brand: Genuine VW/Audi
Mfg Part #: 4F1959617B
Previous Revisions: 4F1959617 4F1959617A
Ordered here: https://www.ecstuning.com/ES394118/

A few pictures during the replacement. It's a little tricky but doable.

Showing Old vs New unit

Old unit removed, three hoses, two wire plugs

New unit installed

You will have to cut this plastic tie to be able to lift the unit off it support.

The support.

But it's easier to just pull the unit out of its housing and insert the new unit in the old housing which I recommend.

This youtube video helped:
Old 05-23-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rstoer
Like many others, the air conditioning on my 2006 Audi A6 (3.2 V6) was intermittently blowing hot air from the outside vents. By now, the cause of this has been well documented as being a pump valve unit that sits between the rear of the engine and the firewall. According to Audi TSB #2013883-5, changing to an updated unit, with a B added to the original part number (4F1959617[B]) is the recommended fix. They also recommend a set of mounting parts (4F1998617). These parts alone run over $300.
Since mine worked for five years before failing I wondered if it couldn’t be repaired, but I searched all over the internet and couldn’t find anyone who even tried. So I took a shot at it, and YES IT CAN! I’ve been testing the repair for several days now and I’m convinced the problem’s gone. Here’s the best part - it takes less time and effort to repair the existing valve than to replace it. Removing one plug and six T-10 Torx screws is all it takes to disassemble the unit to the point that it can be repaired. The repair consists of cleaning some caked–on substance from the two solenoid plungers and housings. This takes well under an hour and you’ll hardly get your hands dirty. No messing with anti-freeze, hoses, or the like.

Here’s what to do…

Caution: Do this only when the engine is cold so there's no pressure in the cooling system.

Fig 1: Remove the plastic cover between the back of the engine and the firewall (not shown) by lifting the spline from the front edge and gently pulling the cover towards you. With that removed you’ll be able to see the location of the pump valve unit (yellow arrow). One plug and those two little cans are all that have to be removed.

Fig 2: First remove the rear plug* by placing a small screwdriver where indicated by the green arrow. With the front of the blade under the plastic edge, gently press down. When you hear it click the plug will slide right off. The red arrows on my photo don’t show up too well but you can see the three #10 Torx screws across the front edge. There’s three more across the back. Remove the six screws.

* Update: Someone contacted me to say that he successfully used this method, except he left the coil assembly in the car because he had trouble removing the plug. It's true, the items that require cleaning can be accessed by just removing the six Torx screws. The coil assembly (the yellow and brown item in fig's 4 & 7) can be left in the car, tethered by the wires. Just make sure those two bronze washers (one inside each coil) are accounted for before allowing it to dangle about in the car.

Fig 3: With the plug and screws removed, lift the two cans and the socket for the plug you just removed as one unit. Wiggle gently if needed, but it should lift off pretty easily. Be careful as one or both of the plungers may come up with the housing, making the plunger springs vulnerable to falling off. The photo shows one plunger & spring still in place.

Fig 4: This shows all the parts you’ve disassembled. (I took this photo after cleaning everything).

Fig 5: This photo shows the solenoid plungers, springs and washers. Note the caked-on substance on the un-cleaned plunger. I found areas of this on both plungers and the brass sleeves the plungers fit in. It’s what causes the sticking, and a good cleaning of these surfaces is all that’s needed to effect a cure. Just make sure you get it all off. I used Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze fine-Cut Cleaner because that’s what I had. Anything similar would work.

Fig 6: On the housing I used a jeweler's screwdriver to gently scrape off most of the sludge, and the Fine-Cut Cleaner on a Q-Tip to get the rest.

Fig 7: Here’s everything cleaned up and ready to be reinstalled. When you reach this point, place the coil assembly right-side up (mine's shown upside-down), and insert a washer into each hole. Then place a solenoid housing over each coil. Finally, slip a spring onto each plunger. The nine parts should now comprise three sub-assemblies.

Fig 8: I found no crud on my valve base but check it and clean as necessary. Insert the plunger/spring assemblies into the valve base (only one is shown in place here). Press each one down and see that it pushes all the way in and springs back freely. Then fit the coil assembly over the plungers, making sure it seats properly on the base. Reinstall the six Torx screws and tighten. Snap the plug back into place on the coil assembly and you're ready to test.

Assuming all is well, reinstall the plastic cover and spline. That’s it!
Hopefully, this will save someone some money. These cars are expensive enough to maintain (nice to drive though).
This is really useful and thanks.

I have a 2007 A6 2.7 TDI. Rightmost air vent randomly chucks out furnace temperature air, mainly on long journeys. Once it starts it will not stop. If I close the vent then the hot air just comes out up the windscreen vents. It was unbearable in the middle of winter, was dreading it happening in the summer.

Have just cleaned the plungers, very simple job after the fantastic picture series above. I used a Cape Cod cloth from my watch box to really polish the metal surface (even after removing the crud the surface was slightly matte and had higher friction when running a fingernail over it.) Seems to be fine so far.....fingers crossed.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

FYI guys, I took it to another mechanic and they found it straight away, heater tap solenoid , $1500 later it now pumps out at the vent 5 degrees
Old 06-14-2016, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is awesome! Same problem, and I've found the same dirty. Just followed every step - I really expect this helping.
Thanks a lot for the great explanation!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by haha bye
does any body know the BOSCH part number for the valve unit?? I think it may be cheaper through bosch and maybe they have an updated unit.
You don't need a new unit. 4 or 6 torx bolts open the top. Pull out the 2 cylinders wipe the grime off. Replace. Problem solved. 20 minute job

Quick Reply: HVAC Blows very hot air on side vents