A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

HVAC Blows very hot air on side vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I cleaned my control valve actuators a few months ago, & everything is still working fine.
When i did it, I also broke my front center screw. I had a little initial weepage, but a little further tightening on the other 5 screws, carefully, sealed that.
No issues since.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryJa
I cleaned my control valve actuators a few months ago, & everything is still working fine.
When i did it, I also broke my front center screw. I had a little initial weepage, but a little further tightening on the other 5 screws, carefully, sealed that.
No issues since.
The funny thing is I have no clue who figured out this was the cause. It wouldn't show up on any VAG scan or code. I'm guessing a dealer would replace the entire United and charge 3k dollars. I found a guy from Poland who knows Audis like nobodies business. Charges less than half what dealer charges and uses genuine Audi parts with the emblem ground off. Lol some inside connection. I honestly would never buy an Audi again. Overengineered pretty arm candy.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This problem finally got me too. Like described "Intermittent cold AC out the middle front vents and 'fiya!' out the outer front vents plus rear vents". Tried the reset Hi 5sec then Lo 5sec procedure and nothing. Removed the valves while cars was at ambient temp in the morning and no mess or anything shooting out. To my surprise the pistons were not that dirty like shown here but I cleaned every single component. Total time was less than an hour. Installed everything back together and problem is gone. It has been almost a full week this coming Friday and all good. Thanks a million RSTOER.

Last edited by jujuC6; 09-16-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Great video

Thanks for the video! Really good!

After suffering the same problem I today undertook the fix.

When I removed the valves and pistons etc, none of them looked dirty at all I have to say. However there was water in the centre of the coils where the piston and spring sit, is this normal? Everything was wet, and wondering if there was sufficient lubrication if the piston sits in water all the time?

Any advice would be great.

I'll see how it goes, it's being doing it a lot lately, I've got 2 long drives tomorrow and Friday so I'll see if just taking it apart and putting it back together again solves it for a while!

Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am having this exact problem. With auto set on high, air temp from driver side mid vent near driver door was 140-150 degrees (F) +/-. Center vents were around 130. Pass. Vent around 140. With auto set to low. Center air temp was around 35. Pass. Around 35-40. Driver side over 100. With auto temp sent to 70 the center and pass. Side air themp is cool. The driver side is scalding hot. Makes the dash too hot to touch around the vent. Settings are set to sync.
This was after I changed the HVAC pump under the cowl. Does anyone know how to access the flap doors? Car is a 2008 A6 Quattro 3.2
Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have a slightly different ventilation problem not related to having the AC on. its a 2008 tt 2.0t. couldn't find a related thread in that forum so I'll ask here. Issue: when the outside air is cool, i open the vents and even with the dial all the way to the blue side, the air comes in warm no matter what vent its going through, foot, face (I believe, I'll check each one) and dash. All i want to do is let the cool air in.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Witchhunt
The funny thing is I have no clue who figured out this was the cause. It wouldn't show up on any VAG scan or code. I'm guessing a dealer would replace the entire United and charge 3k dollars. I found a guy from Poland who knows Audis like nobodies business. Charges less than half what dealer charges and uses genuine Audi parts with the emblem ground off. Lol some inside connection. I honestly would never buy an Audi again. Overengineered pretty arm candy.
Hi.
I am from Poland and have serious issue with heating in my car.Could you give me his name, address or any contact, please...?Thanks!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by John Roselli
I was unable to remove the plug as it felt as if it was welded on. So I unscrewed the six screws using a hex head wrench. MISTAKE. I was able to get them all out, cleaned the pistons, and yes they were full of gunk. When I tried to screw them back in I stripped 3 of the heads half way down, and had to use an extractor to get them out. When and bought 3 Phillip head screws and finished the job.

Works great now! Thanks for saving me 800 bucks! PLEASE use a TORX wrench though!!!!!
Same problem. What size screws are they?
Old 03-15-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi

I have the same issue, and started to do this, but looks like I was loosing alot more than an egg cup of coolant. I assume its full of coolent, and it wont just pump out will it?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Banned

Default YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW UNIT????

Originally Posted by Witchhunt
You don't need a new unit. 4 or 6 torx bolts open the top. Pull out the 2 cylinders wipe the grime off. Replace. Problem solved. 20 minute job
U don't need a new valve unit? What don't you understand? One wrench A rag? And an hour. ????? That unit is probably 500 bucks minimum. Send me plane ticket and I'll fix it. Plus id love to see your town!!

Quick Reply: HVAC Blows very hot air on side vents