A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

HVAC Blows very hot air on side vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks ! Great post. We had ours repaired at the dealer last year but I expect that it will happen again someday. Next time I won't spend $800!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rstoer: Amazing work! Thank you very much for your article! I´ll try it asap
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Nice write–up.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great post, I did this service and it worked great, unfortunately my issue was with low refrigerant.

I'd like to add one thing, may sound obvious but you should only perform this service when the car is cold, if the car is just slightly warm the pressure will cause you to lose coolant when you open the system.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newa6er
Great post, I did this service and it worked great, unfortunately my issue was with low refrigerant.

I'd like to add one thing, may sound obvious but you should only perform this service when the car is cold, if the car is just slightly warm the pressure will cause you to lose coolant when you open the system.
I added your warning about only attempting this on a cold engine to Step 1. Good catch. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up......

I’ve done as shown in your post and it’s made a small amount of difference, but not fixed the fault – but they were clean anyway no gunk on them.

I get the same issue every time I use the car be it hot or cold outside, set the CC to LO – LHS front dash vent (Ice Cold) RHS front dash vent (warm, not hot) middle vents the LHS is slight cooler than the right but neither feel cold certainly not Air-Con cold –

Before I go spending cash on changing the whole pump unit – is this what you were experiencing before the fix ? as mine isn’t intermittent it’s every time ?

I’ve had the car re-gassed, not too sure if it was cleaned but this made no difference at all ? – When I turn the ECON button on /off I can hear the compressor kit in and the revs drop slightly when it’s running so I guess this is working, as I do get Ice cold air from the far LHS vent.

Changed the Air filters under the back of the dash, but this only improved air flow not temp. ?

Or is there anything else that can be done to ‘find’ the root of the issue ??

Thanks ……….
Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A6Riddler
Nice write-up......

I’ve done as shown in your post and it’s made a small amount of difference, but not fixed the fault – but they were clean anyway no gunk on them.

I get the same issue every time I use the car be it hot or cold outside, set the CC to LO – LHS front dash vent (Ice Cold) RHS front dash vent (warm, not hot) middle vents the LHS is slight cooler than the right but neither feel cold certainly not Air-Con cold –

Before I go spending cash on changing the whole pump unit – is this what you were experiencing before the fix ? as mine isn’t intermittent it’s every time ?

I’ve had the car re-gassed, not too sure if it was cleaned but this made no difference at all ? – When I turn the ECON button on /off I can hear the compressor kit in and the revs drop slightly when it’s running so I guess this is working, as I do get Ice cold air from the far LHS vent.

Changed the Air filters under the back of the dash, but this only improved air flow not temp. ?

Thanks ……….
Your issue does not sound exactly like what's described in this thread. When this valve is defective (and all else is well) ice cold air will blow through the center vents but the outer vents intermittently blow HOT air (not warm, but RED HOT). I'm sorry, but I have no idea what's causing the problem you're experiencing. The procedure I described definitely did cure my issue as it's been over a month with no reoccurence. Before I couldn't drive more than twenty minutes without it showing up.

Last edited by rstoer; 05-24-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same exact symptoms as you. I VCDS'ed the HVAC system and then gauged the low pressure side and determined my gas was low. Added leak trace gas myself and now it blows ice cold. These cars have a history of leaking gas at the refrigerant pressure circuit. Are you sure they properly re-gassed the system?

Nice write-up......

Thanks ……….
Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi – Thanks

Not too sure what they did when it was re-gassed, I did see them connect some pipes to the front of the car but left it with them and picked it up a few hours later –

I would guess as the LHS door vent is Ice-Cold that some things working correctly ? It just gets warmer as I move over to the RHS ? – are there any actual flaps that control the air flow, and possibly one is stuck ?

Does anyone have a exploded diagram of the system they can post pls ?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's possible a blend flap is stuck but I doubt it. So the cooled air enters the condenser on the drivers side and leaves on passenger side. All the coolness is used up on the drivers side and the middle before it reaches the passenger side. Another way to confirm this is to raise the temperature setting enough that the outer vents blow warm air, this will allow the condenser to use all it's cooling power in the middle two vents only, if the middle vents now blow cold air (colder than when the temp setting is low and LH outer is cold, and RH outer is warm) this shows the systems works but is too weak to cool all four middle vents. A VCDS really makes this diagnostics easy since you can see the pressure, temp and humidity readings.

My guess is that A) they didn't properly fill your system with gas, or B) they did properly fill your system and with gas, and now under full pressure your system leaked gas, it didn't leak everything so it still works, but it leaked enough to make it weak. Again there is a TSB on the pressure sensor leaking.

Hi – Thanks

Not too sure what they did when it was re-gassed, I did see them connect some pipes to the front of the car but left it with them and picked it up a few hours later –

I would guess as the LHS door vent is Ice-Cold that some things working correctly ? It just gets warmer as I move over to the RHS ? – are there any actual flaps that control the air flow, and possibly one is stuck ?

Does anyone have a exploded diagram of the system they can post pls ?

Quick Reply: HVAC Blows very hot air on side vents