A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

I did 130mph (Video). What was your max?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

I probably did over 130 MPH in a preproduction RS4 when I attended the Audi Driving Experience on the Circuit de Catalunya track in Barcelona. But we weren't looking at the speedometer since we needed to pay attention to the track and where we were going. Also did high speed in a R8 V8 on the Inferon Sonoma track, but that track limit your top speed. On public roads, not more than 5-10 MPH over the speed limit, depending on road conditions.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The fastest I've driven so far on public roads is 174 mph in Germany during my European Delivery trip with the RS5. That was a blast.
Wow! That must have been something!!!

Most Autobahns in Germany are great straight roads and Germans drive like pilots. The first time I was in traffic in Germany I was shocked by how aggressively they drive but they are very well educated. They ALL drive with an awesome PRECISION and you rarely see an accident. My first time driving in a German town I almost thought I was going to have a collision with a tram on a turn. So close and at a considerable speed!!! I freaked out!!!! LOL.

If you like to drive, you should plan on visiting Germany and go on an long inter-city trip. Some of their Autobahns have limits thought. Got flashed once! Was not the one driving
Old 02-14-2017, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A6Gary
I probably did over 130 MPH in a preproduction RS4 when I attended the Audi Driving Experience on the Circuit de Catalunya track in Barcelona. But we weren't looking at the speedometer since we needed to pay attention to the track and where we were going. Also did high speed in a R8 V8 on the Inferon Sonoma track, but that track limit your top speed. On public roads, not more than 5-10 MPH over the speed limit, depending on road conditions.
How do you get that opportunity?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
Wow! That must have been something!!!

Most Autobahns in Germany are great straight roads and Germans drive like pilots. The first time I was in traffic in Germany I was shocked by how aggressively they drive but they are very well educated. They ALL drive with an awesome PRECISION and you rarely see an accident. My first time driving in a German town I almost thought I was going to have a collision with a tram on a turn. So close and at a considerable speed!!! I freaked out!!!! LOL.

If you like to drive, you should plan on visiting Germany and go on an long inter-city trip. Some of their Autobahns have limits thought. Got flashed once! Was not the one driving
It really is all about proper driver education, but most countries have discovered that speed limits are a great revenue source. It's done in the name of safety, but most of it is really BS. The money goes into general funds instead of being invested into actually improving safety. Speed limits make sense in populated and dense areas, but on a rural highway in the middle of nowhere? About 2/3rd of the German Autobahn has no speed limits. It's all pretty much outside of populated areas. Once you approach cities and towns there are speed limits that are often electronically controlled. During the day when traffic is high, the speed limit is lower and at night it's higher or even lifted. It makes a whole lot more sense. It also costs about $3000-$4000 dollars to get a drivers license, which involves mandatory driving lessons etc. That's how it should be everywhere.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-14-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
It really is all about proper driver education, but most countries have discovered that speed limits are a great revenue source. It's done in the name of safety, but most of it is really BS. The money goes into general funds instead of being invested into actually improving safety. Speed limits make sense in populated and dense areas, but on a rural highway in the middle of nowhere? About 2/3rd of the German Autobahn has no speed limits. It's all pretty much outside of populated areas. Once you approach cities and towns there are speed limits that are often electronically controlled. During the day when traffic is high, the speed limit is lower and at night it's higher or even lifted. It makes a whole lot more sense. It also costs about $3000-$4000 dollars to get a drivers license, which involves mandatory driving lessons etc. That's how it should be everywhere.
Totally agree.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

People ask "how fast do you go on the track?"

They don't really understand the response about the straightaway being the most boring part of the experience. Foot on the floor, giving or taking pointbys, checking gauges, relaxing shoulders, braking zone coming up, BRAKE...

Oh, and it doesn't take much to ruin your day when you're driving at high speed.

Watch carefully at around 1:28. Car gets just a bit unsettled, probably hit a bump or depression in the road, then its over.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

^ Not sure where this was, but this reminds me. On the German Autobahn there are speed limits if the surface is uneven and signs on the side of the road alerting drivers to the fact that the road is bumpy. It does take proper infrastructure to drive fast.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if there are any posting restrictions in this forum, as I am a new Audi Q5 3.0T owner.

I do have a pretty highly modified little Mazdaspeed 3 as my "fun car" and have had it for quite a few years. At an "undisclosed" location, I was able to see 160 mph on the speedo and the data log running at the time showed 158 during that tuning session. The car seemed to have a bit more left, but wind buffeting was "exciting" in a bad way at that point, so I backed out.

Factory 155 mph limit was removed as a part of the tune. The car does have Y rated summer tires.

It was a public road and there was no traffic in sight. I have not attempted to repeat the run. We got the data we were looking for.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by urs6_ma
People ask "how fast do you go on the track?"

They don't really understand the response about the straightaway being the most boring part of the experience. Foot on the floor, giving or taking pointbys, checking gauges, relaxing shoulders, braking zone coming up, BRAKE...

Oh, and it doesn't take much to ruin your day when you're driving at high speed.

Watch carefully at around 1:28. Car gets just a bit unsettled, probably hit a bump or depression in the road, then its over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbChftpIk2Y

I don't think that will buff out.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hit 120 in my B7 A4. I will NEVER do that again. That was 35 over on that 85 MPH stretch of road between Austin and San Antonio.

Quick Reply: I did 130mph (Video). What was your max?