A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

I was recently reminded just how well my A6 holds its own.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was recently reminded just how well my A6 holds its own.

Last weekend I found myself traveling in Southeast Ohio and I saw a hand printed sign under a highway sign with directions to a local Porsche Club rally. I was way ahead of schedule and I've been looking for a 928 GTS so I decided to do a drive by and see if I could increase my Porsche knowledge any. As I was pulling up there was a group of Porsche drivers leaving so I followed them to some of the most diabolical surface streets I've ever run across. It soon became obvious that this group was out on a fast lap of this particular roadway and amazingly I didn't have a great deal of trouble keeping up with them. I just sucked the suspension down to Dynamic and parked my nose on the back bumper of a 911 and stayed there like I was hitched to it. After a mile or two I backed off but maintained my sensible distance until I couldn't stand it any more. At this point I would back way way off and see how long it took me to catch up. Man, I was having a blast until we pull back up on the main drag and back into the Club meeting grounds.

The poor 911 driver I was following got out and slammed his door and wanted to know what I had done to my A6 that allowed me to push it the way that I had been. I explained how I found their mini-rally and that I had more fun in the past thirty minutes then I have had since the A6 was new. I apologized if I had closed up a little tight in some of the curves to which he replied all he could see in his rearview mirror was 4 Rings and on a couple only two Rings. It was funny how the Audi was looked over closer by the Porsche drivers after the word filtered out about how well it handled that stretch of road. It really didn't help any when I showed them that all 4.2 liters of V8 were mounted forward of the front axle and I needed to check my air filter to see if I took off any yellow paint from the 911 in front of me. I confessed to upgrading the brakes but honestly that s all I've done to it then realized I was still in full A/C mode and had an almost full Mountain Dew in the cup holder. One of the engineers I met in this group explained to me that this car should not be able to keep up with the caliber of cars I was running with this morning. Since we were standing beside my car at this time I put my index finger to my lips and motioned for him to quiet down because now one had ever explained to my car that it couldn't do what it does. He looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and then realized what I had said and he laughed so hard he had to go tell others in his group not to say anything negative around my car.

I made some good friends there and took a couple of them out for spin in it. The old A6 made some believers out of that air-cooled bunch.

I've been invited back next year if I find the 928 I've been looking for. I may not look any further for it.

How about it? Has anyone else impressed other drivers with aspects of Audi unbelieveibleness?

Cosmo
Old 11-15-2015, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

The 4.2 is a great engine!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story! Audi's have always been underrated in so many ways. And +1 on the 4.2. Within a 1/4 mile my 06 4.2 has managed to keep a car length or so pace with my friend's 04 E55 AMG believe it or not. I think that says a lot.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmobeauregard
Last weekend I found myself traveling in Southeast Ohio and I saw a hand printed sign under a highway sign with directions to a local Porsche Club rally. I was way ahead of schedule and I've been looking for a 928 GTS so I decided to do a drive by and see if I could increase my Porsche knowledge any. As I was pulling up there was a group of Porsche drivers leaving so I followed them to some of the most diabolical surface streets I've ever run across. It soon became obvious that this group was out on a fast lap of this particular roadway and amazingly I didn't have a great deal of trouble keeping up with them. I just sucked the suspension down to Dynamic and parked my nose on the back bumper of a 911 and stayed there like I was hitched to it. After a mile or two I backed off but maintained my sensible distance until I couldn't stand it any more. At this point I would back way way off and see how long it took me to catch up. Man, I was having a blast until we pull back up on the main drag and back into the Club meeting grounds.

The poor 911 driver I was following got out and slammed his door and wanted to know what I had done to my A6 that allowed me to push it the way that I had been. I explained how I found their mini-rally and that I had more fun in the past thirty minutes then I have had since the A6 was new. I apologized if I had closed up a little tight in some of the curves to which he replied all he could see in his rearview mirror was 4 Rings and on a couple only two Rings. It was funny how the Audi was looked over closer by the Porsche drivers after the word filtered out about how well it handled that stretch of road. It really didn't help any when I showed them that all 4.2 liters of V8 were mounted forward of the front axle and I needed to check my air filter to see if I took off any yellow paint from the 911 in front of me. I confessed to upgrading the brakes but honestly that s all I've done to it then realized I was still in full A/C mode and had an almost full Mountain Dew in the cup holder. One of the engineers I met in this group explained to me that this car should not be able to keep up with the caliber of cars I was running with this morning. Since we were standing beside my car at this time I put my index finger to my lips and motioned for him to quiet down because now one had ever explained to my car that it couldn't do what it does. He looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and then realized what I had said and he laughed so hard he had to go tell others in his group not to say anything negative around my car.

I made some good friends there and took a couple of them out for spin in it. The old A6 made some believers out of that air-cooled bunch.

I've been invited back next year if I find the 928 I've been looking for. I may not look any further for it.

How about it? Has anyone else impressed other drivers with aspects of Audi unbelieveibleness?

Cosmo
what tires do you have?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Mizarc
Great story! Audi's have always been underrated in so many ways. And +1 on the 4.2. Within a 1/4 mile my 06 4.2 has managed to keep a car length or so pace with my friend's 04 E55 AMG believe it or not. I think that says a lot.
I'm really surprised on this one. I've got a friend with an 06 E55 and that thing is a beast. I've pushed my car, but his just has unbelievable and consistent acceleration. Mind you, he does have a pulley and tune

My dad just picked up a Q5 3.0T and that thing has some pep as well...I asked him if he'd like for me to look into a tune for him...he grinned, but also said no, since he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone
Old 11-29-2015, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll agree about the unbelievableness of Audi. I've got an '08 A6 Avant (only a 3.2L), but with the adaptive suspension and summer tires (not all-season) on the 19" RS4 style rims.

I also have a 2002 911 Carrera 4S and I will say that since I know the Audi's handling a lot better than the 911's (I've had an A6 Avant since 2003 and it's my DD), I feel like I can push it more than the 911. I somewhat like the fact that I can get off the gas a bit on the Audi in a turn, as opposed to keeping the gas on in the 911.

PS - Good luck with the 928!