A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Installing Navigation CD Reader

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Let us know if your have any additional questions, but hopefully what we've provided gives you a great start. BTW you'll probably want to update your mmi firmware and obviously get the latest nav maps, as well.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Raj99 for all your help. I pretty much now understand everything that was instructed now.
The screen you are referring to seems to be red monochrome... There is no assortment of colors. If you change to Navigation it is Blue and Phone is green. There is not a multiple colored screen.
I now understand the DVD reader concept. That last letter is just a newer rendition of the same DVD reader. I know I probably should not but I just got to take a look at the antenna configuration. I am pretty handy and will be careful with that air bag!
It's nice to know I will not have to visit a dealer for code work and you are right about getting a dvd reader for approximately $150. It really is almost plug and play like you said other than the antenna but there is a way around that by optioning to buy a antenna for the trunk as you say.

I will let you know how it turns out.

This is probably the most technical car I have ever owned. Got to thank the wife! It is habit forming the few times down the road so far!!

While reading a lot of threads, I realize you you have a CD for the Navigation and I would be most happy to contribute to the worthy cause if you would be kind enough to send me a copy of it if it is compatible with my Navigation system. Just let me know and thanks again for all the valuable help! Peace, Wingding
Old 02-26-2015, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The C6 is a GREAT car. Enjoy it and definitely read the sticky which shows the recommended maintenance one should perform when buying it used...I've contributed a bit to it as well in my time here:
filters - fuel, cabin, tranny, oil, etc...
fluids - tranny, differential, center, oil, etc...

It's a great group of folks on the forum and looking forward to your contributions as you move forward with ownership. Bear in mind, these cars tend to be temperamental at times and the 3.2 models & 4.2 FSI are susceptible to carbon buildup on the valves. I also sent you a private msg re: getting the DVD nav sorted.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

raj99,
I just picked up a dvd reader [4E0919887C] for $96 ... Im thinking it was a good deal.
I was wondering if getting a later letter C> E or N makes any difference?
I understand these were later models... But is there any difference? Or are they basically the same units?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wingding
raj99,
I just picked up a dvd reader [4E0919887C] for $96 ... Im thinking it was a good deal.
I was wondering if getting a later letter C> E or N makes any difference?
I understand these were later models... But is there any difference? Or are they basically the same units?
They are basically the same...just the newer model years had the later designations. Good luck with the install
Old 03-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, I have got down to installing the DVD reader. I seem to come to a halt after taking off the C pillar cover and the end piece across the back of the rear window. This is what I found after taking the c pillar cover off. I see what appears to be a blue [antenna wire?] But cannot find the other end coming from the shark fin antenna. Do I need to dig further?

2nd photo shows the extra wires that where tie wrapped together. One definitely fits the back of the DVD reader.. But the other three???
Where is the 2nd connection? and does either the green or brown on have anything to do with the navigation DVD reader hook up? Where is the antenna wire connection?
Attached Images   
Old 03-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is a look at the top after taking off the end piece across the top of the rear window. There does not seem to be any coiled up blue antenna wire to make any connection. Just the blue wire behind the C pillar. Im figuring that is part of the equation. The diagrams with the hand drawn pictures does not seem to indicate where the antenna wire coming from the shark fin would be unless this is it behind the C pillar. Do I have to make a connection to the shark fin antenna or is the blue wire [antenna wire?] behind the c pillar that connection and I must buy a additional length to go to the trunk dvd reader?
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You'll need an extender from the blue fakra to your nav unit - so essentially a female to female fakra extension cable.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...hough-2873553/
Old 03-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you,Raj99. OH I figured out that second connection in the trunk... Seems the 4th wire in my hand which seems like a loop actually disconnects and that is the 2nd plug in to the back of the DVD Navigation reader.

Ok, looks like all I need is that extra piece you have mentioned... Hopefully a local auto store might have this ...or I will have to send away online for it.

Raj99, That antenna wire is already connected to the shark fin...? Or do I have to get in there and plug the end in?
Old 03-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That was a informative thread in your last post... I tried to do a search for Navigation DVD reader install but that particular thread alluded me. Some nice photo's too! I was wondering what those green and brown connections were for... Oh by the way... that...'Loop' I disconnected from the 2nd navigation DVD reader ..what was it used for?

Quick Reply: Installing Navigation CD Reader