A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Intake Valve flap stuck open/closed 08 S6

Old 12-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Valve flap stuck open/closed 08 S6

Hey guys.
My 08 S6 just had the carbon cleaning done and while in there, the mechanic noticed my flaps on the intake were failing. One actually fell off and was sitting on the valves. Thank God it was caught!!!

Anyhow, I bought a new intake from ECS, got a good deal on a brand new me complete with new motors and bolt on ready. Had my repair Indy install the new intake and within 30 mi, the code pops up on the dash, showing intake valve stuck open and another code saying stuck closed.
The shop hooked up computer and verified that motors work as they should. No issues. Even went so far as swapping back to old valve motors and it did the same thing, code back on the dash.

I did do research on here and most people who had issues, had them bc it was vacuum line related. On the 08, it is fully electronic. And of course, all electrical connections are solid.

I've spent nearly $1000 trying to diagnose what the hell is going on and why that light shows the dash. Am I missing something here??? Two shops have looked at it, no prevail. My last stop is the dealership where I fully expect to get raped.

Anyone had a similar issue? Can anyone help me?
Old 12-09-2016, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be obvious, but did your Indy shop use VCDS to scan your car?

I'm curious if they tried clearing the codes through VCDS to see if they come up again

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 12-09-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

He used whatever the dealership uses to scan codes. And the program also allows you to activate each sensor/motor, etc so you can test. The motors acted when called upon. So they def function as they should.

The second shop told me to go to the dealer and perhaps it needs a software update???
Old 12-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also. I have a scanner at home and have been able to clear codes. But the Light and code comes back within 15 miles or so. I'm at a loss here.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1BADBURB
He used whatever the dealership uses to scan codes. And the program also allows you to activate each sensor/motor, etc so you can test. The motors acted when called upon. So they def function as they should.

The second shop told me to go to the dealer and perhaps it needs a software update???
I do not know much about the V10 but it could be it needs an update or an ECU flash but can't say that for sure.

Sorry, I don't know too much about the topic... just trying to point you in some sort of direction since no one else replied to your post.

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 12-10-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlifephantom
I do not know much about the V10 but it could be it needs an update or an ECU flash but can't say that for sure.
Explain why exactly it would need "an update or ECU flash"? I'm sure the OP would like to understand why you think that'll fix the issue... Since, I can't think of a single reason why that would fix the issue.

Nightlifephantom, before you start giving erroneous advice on topics you have no idea about, perhaps you should spend the time and effort learning about them.

OP, there have been a couple of issues related to your dilemma that I've seen presented in the forum.

Did your mechanic follow the steps listed here: https://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/a/...-valves-422163. There's an actuator that can be damaged that controls the flaps and such.

Did you see this thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...losed-2900353/

Last edited by raj99; 12-10-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Listen to Raj, he knows what he is talking about
Old 12-10-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Listen to Raj, he knows what he is talking about
+2. Definitely listen to Raj and Kevin. They have way more knowledge about these cars than most.

Raj, I apologize if I gave the OP any wrong info or if that sounded stupid but I was simply trying to point him in some sort of direction since no one had the time to respond to him. Also, since the OP stated his Indy shop replaced his intake and everything works according to them with vag AND he also took it to a second shop, sounded like they pretty much knew what they were doing and only the dash lights were coming on.. to me sounded like could be some sort of computer related issue. But I was actually hoping someone more knowledgeable about the issue would chime in, which is what happened here. Thanks

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 12-10-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To all that replied, thank you very much! I truly appreciate it.
Raj, I searched the forum for past threads and couldn't find anything. I'll take a look at your treads u posted and see what's up! Thanks again!!
Old 12-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok looked at both links. I'm positive that my mechanic (both of them) have properly installed the intake manifold. Hooking up Vag, he can manipulate the motors and valves so it tells me that everything was done right. Also, one of the links shows the motors that is vacuum operated. Mine is electronic, by wire. Of course we checked connections and they are all clean and solid.

It was actually mentioned to me that I should get an ecu flash by the dealer. So Nightlife is on to something as well. Plan to head to dealer tomorrow to ask them what their thoughts are. Car performs perfectly, actually better response after the carbon clean up. I bought it used with 103k on it. Never had the carbon cleaning done before. And that intake manifold was literally minutes away from dropping a flap into the cylinder. Thank my lucky stars it didn't happen...

Will report back with what dealer suggests. Thanks again guys.

Search this Thread