A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage

I'm having a strange problem, and I wonder if anyone can help me figure out how to fix it.

About 3x in the last week as I've been driving I'd hear a beep and a message shows up on the small dash display indicating that the driver's side rear turn signal light has a problem. Immediately followed by the same beep and a message indicating that there's a brake light problem. As soon as I see this message, if I turn on the left turn signal, I get the rapid blinking and the rear signal does not operate. Further, the brake light does not operate.

Now, when I turn off the car, and then turn it on again, the error has cleared and everything operates properly. All lights seem to match those on the other side. I cannot replicate the problem on command. It happened today, and a couple of times during the week last week with limited regular driving. However, I drove 330 miles yesterday and it didn't show up once then.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on or how to resolve the situation? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem before. It turned out to be a faulty bulb holder in the rear light assembly. Got it replaced and no problem since.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Any idea what it might run to take care of 1 month out of warranty?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

had the same problem, turned out to be the whole LED cluster in was dying. had to replace the entire housing because the LEDs are part of the lights housing. $350 in parts & labor.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ugh, any ideas if I could replace it myself to save money if that's the case? It seems like there's some short that if it could be solved wouldn't present a problem again. What do I know though (not much).
Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RydeOdie
had the same problem, turned out to be the whole LED cluster in was dying. had to replace the entire housing because the LEDs are part of the lights housing. $350 in parts & labor.
Ditto I had the same issue and replaced mine last week when I was in Georgia. Its wierd that you have to replace the entire assembly when the leds go bad.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
Ugh, any ideas if I could replace it myself to save money if that's the case? It seems like there's some short that if it could be solved wouldn't present a problem again. What do I know though (not much).
I can do a write up for u on how to take out the tale light so you can replace it yourself and save on labor. But if you're under warranty it should be covered.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would love the write-up and any part numbers that may be involved if you have them. Unfortunately my car is just 1 month out of warranty at this point, so I guess it's out of pocket for me. It's a true shame that the whole panel might be considered bad when it's a small portion of it that's a problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the similar problem with different reasons.

First my read brake light was out, then my rear fog lamp and then my rear reverse light.

But once in a while the warning light on the dash would not come on and when I checked the lights they were working fine.

Took it to dealer and they checked the fault codes via VAG-COM.

Results were the rear light connector was bad. The connectors were replaced under CPO warranty and never had any problems ever since.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting. Does anyone know how they "go bad"? It seems like maybe a wire might short or similar, and perhaps it's not circuitry or such that goes bad. Under warranty I'm more than happy to have Audi replace it, but on my own dime, it would sure be nice to be able to fix it if possible.

Quick Reply: Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage