A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having this issue also.
Since it is difficult to reproduce I thought I would investigate further before taking it to the dealer.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought I'd ask again if anyone knows what might be going on. It seems like a short of some sort and since it is so intermittent, I wondered whether I might be able to just fix it myself if the whole unit isn't bad because my A6 went out of warranty in February. Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem.

Dealer replaced wiring connector for the rear lights and deleted code using vag-com.

Rear fog lamp
Left rear reverse lamp
Left rear brake lamp out were all showing up at once in the dash info panel.

Do you need the part #s? If so I will post them after looking at the service paperwork.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you for the offer. I would love the part numbers! Hopefully I can figure out how to get in there, check the connections and replace it myself.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same problem

I'm having the same problem with my 2005 only on the left side. Never saw any instructions for removal or part numbers from the threads above, did anyone ever post, hate like heck paying the dealer for this, what happened to the $4.95 bulb, oh yeah those are in my '93 miata...
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like you and I have exactly the same issue, the same side and everything. With help from others we should surely be able to avoid hitting the dealer. I ordered the stupid $4 trim removal wedge (+ $8 shipping) which I think will be necessary to get in there safely from Equipment Solutions. Once it's all figured out, I'll be happy to work it up for wiki, though as my first repair I will certainly look to those that have the knowledge. Someone might be writing something up/getting parts this weekend per some PMs. I'll report back.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, I'm not sure if its the whole taillight assembly or just wiring. I'm guess the tailling is going to be around $130 from the dealer, but my concern is a) how to remove it and b) don't want to drop $130 if its not the problem, but i'm not ready to drop $350 as quoted above to fix the problem.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had this exact same problem about 6 months ago. I took it to my mechanic first.....I stop by his shop to check up on it and he's disembowled the car's 5 fuse boxes (it is 5, right?) trying to find the problem, to no avail. I finally bit it and took it to Audi and they fixed it. I'll check the invoice to see what it says and how much and get back with you.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same issue - dealer blaming light package

I have this exact same issue on my 2005. It's constant. The dealer, however, in my case, will not diagnose this problem unless I remove the trailer light kit that has been installed in car. They are saying blaming it for lack of anything else - codes or otherwise - that arise.

Turning off my car and restarting it fixes the bulb out issue - but - then it recurs again. It almost never does it in cold weather however - only warm or hot weather - so - the dealer again is claiming it's a conduction issue from the light package and they won't look at it unless I remove the light package (but they won't take out the light package themselves - they want someone else to do it).

I would hate to think that I have spent a year trying to fix this problem when it could be a bad bulb housing - as stated in this thread. I have bought load equilizers to install on the wiring in the back to try to fix the issue - if it still recurs then I'll have to insist that the dealer fix the bulb housing. I have 1,500 miles to go on my A6 before it is out of warranty so time is of the essence for me.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I greatly look forward to hearing what the issue is. It's hard to imagine that it's related to your trailer light kit given that it's the exact same issue. I look forward to hearing what parts were needed to fix the issue and try to do this myself!

Quick Reply: Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage