A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been 2 weeks since I changed out the right side tail light assembly of my 2005 A6 and I have had no problems. The anxiety of waiting for that miserable alarm to go of has also subsided. It's nice to have my old car back.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same deal on the left-side for me. I swapped the part and it's been fine so far for several days. Soo nice.

...It would be nice if we could get into where the LEDs are housed without destroying the part, as I'm sure we could fix it for very little in that case.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3rd... It has been a week since I replaced the Left side assembly and no problems.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just finished replacing the five bulbs and the housing. I noticed that the two contact points between the grey housing and the red main part, were somewhat oxidized. I gave them a quick scraping with the tip of a screwdriver but didn't have anything to spray them with. If the problem is not solved that would be my next step.
I'll post back in two weeks.

PS. removing the housing is easy as long as you know how...
Although it is already posted elsewhere I figure I'd add to the waste of electrons...
Remove the round plastic cover found inside the trunk right on the edge of the light about two thirds from the top.
The light assembly is now lose but you need to wiggle it as the left side is anchored with two ball joint type pins. Don't try to make it come off from the right side only or you risk breaking the light assembly.
Once it pops out, it'll be very clear how to put it back and remove it next time
Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately that did not work. I gave it another try with a little of sandpaper (220) on the two connectors but I doubt that the problem is there.
I may have to change the electronic inside the lamp.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I've had the same problem. It's some weird ghost in the machine randomly causing a short. Let us know if theres a part to replace on the inside I suspect you'll only find the entire light assembly is available.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Before breaking down and buying the entire light assembly, I want to validate the suggestion made a few posts above that the issue may be with the ground.
To me it makes sense, because the warning is always for Break Light and Turn Signal at the same time. It seems reasonable to think that the only common part is the ground.
However I need to figure out where exactly the problem is before I may attempt a fix.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by agw2
Before breaking down and buying the entire light assembly, I want to validate the suggestion made a few posts above that the issue may be with the ground.
To me it makes sense, because the warning is always for Break Light and Turn Signal at the same time. It seems reasonable to think that the only common part is the ground.
However I need to figure out where exactly the problem is before I may attempt a fix.
The brake lights and the turn signal lights are the LED array (exactly the same LEDs), so if one fails, so does the other. Certainly it would be nice to know what's causing the LED array to fail.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For whatever it's worth: I had the exact same problem with my 05 4.2. Dealer replaced the entire assembly under warranty, thankfully.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Have the same problem on my a6 I just picked up. I am going to do my 55,000 service this weekend and was going to check out grounds. (I also feel this is the problem) By the way, it is my understanding that LED's last forever. I think it is just a prizmatic lens powered by a standard bulb. I'll update after I figureout what is happening. (In my opinion anyway) This site is going to save my bacon!! Great info source. Hope all of you enjoy (utilize) it as much as I do(will)!!

Bob

Quick Reply: Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage