A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

J model 3.2L saloon Two issues MMI and The dreaded.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J model 3.2L saloon Two issues MMI and The dreaded.

I was a member here many moons ago. It seems I dont even have that email account anymore. I have had several A6s and I am on my second D2 back in the US. Having been working in a small audi repair shop I have driven most audis and liked the c6 except one issue.

04 140000 KM not MI on the clock. My test drive was a smooth silent engine except for the normal FSI clicking. But.... The oil was stone black and looked burnt!
Hlaf way home I took a nap and when I started the car. Clack clack clack... Hmm.. what is that noise... Oh yes.. I know... F***. The timing chain sliding over either a collapsed guide or a broken one. Every start it was doing it. I just changed oil and I had some issues.
1.Audi dealer closest to me needed the "Shaken" which I dont have yet in order to look up which oil filter I need.. They couldnt even use the vin and last I checked all 3.2 FSI use the same filter. Also "Autobacks" IE autozone does not carry it soo000.
I cleaned the fliter with kerosene and ordered a new one.
2. I used cheap stuff 10w30 because its going to be drained in three weeks.
3. post change the oil felt good Ie its not as thin as the stuff from before. but it was still black as coal. The only thing I can think of is the dity filter dirtied up the oil.
4. I have only started it twice since the change so I dont know if the clack clack clack will subside but after it did after last start I went for a test ride. It was silent.
So I am ordering some tensioners just in case. I am praying there is a trick so I dont need to buy a cam tool. A bit short on cash as I just bought it. I know I need the cam locks for sure. and I have never done it in the car.
I should mention proper 5 40 and mann filter are coming.

MMI.... Its all in japanese. I set the radio to english so the Car interface, set up and media are english but the map info and vics stuff is all japanese.

The setup and car buttion and return and setup button trick dont work.

1. 2 external av sources. the japanese MMI book says they are not avalable in japan... Do I really need to ask some expert and code this out with vagcom. I do not have a hexcan cable yet or vagcom software $$. Note: I have coded an A5 for a few things in vcds.

2. I have a useess minidisc player in the glove box. Can I just remove that and use the cable/ optical for mp3 exct.

3. I have a NTT docomo adapter in the arm rest. Can I with some resistors or maybe just a soldering iron convert the plug to usb and then code it up in vcds later to play media? Note: Docomo back then was like motorola and ATT together now they are like ATT here and no longer make phones. I had a phone to try for mp3 but its in the scrap bin...

4. DVDs? This I think there is info googleable but why not ask.

Well those are the major items. Otherwise the car is great. Just a dent in the passenger door and some womens nails got some of the paint...
Any major concerns I should know abaout. This car scares me because a soft coding issue caused an 08 to be totaled. The car would lock and even if opened it would not take a key. After several attempts by the dealer to diagnose it they gave him his money back!

Final note: I am good for a good ball busting but I left this forum due to snobby users in the d2 and c4 platform discussion. Do not tell me to search. I would have never posted if I could find the answer. I searched for two days now on the cable adaptation and only found a connerctor for the old old phone jack and one that you have to have a box for to connect to the mmi through the glove box. I want to use my arm rest for the phone even if I have to run fiberoptic and a new cable in. It is where it was meant to be.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I did not think this was important info but more digging lead me to say this I have a useless minidisc changer and I have the older audi TV.

Lets say for giggles n s.... That I connected some sort of circut to interface a cheap bluetooth.
There is a guide by a guy named 3dogs1monkey on youtube but hes all over the place.
But after seeing him connect a rasberry pi I am sure that I can connect a bluetooth or usb to interface with the TV unit. and after re viewing other videos.
I think I could maybe cut the Minidisc player to run usb or hdmi.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

UPDATE: I enabled my AV source using the menu. The write ups say you press and hold both setup and return. I saw a video that shows setup first then hold return as well. It opened the menu and I was able to turn on aux.

Now after more digging. I found that there is indeed a way to pin into the harness in the trunk without having to destroy anything. I plan on cutting the NTT docomo adapter. I connected a docomo phone and it fit but the phones busted. I plan on cutting the plug wiring up a usb and patching av cables into the usb so no farting around needed. telematics will work along with the AV source.

But! I am not sure whats what I know theres a red cable and a white exct but what pin numbers are the ones for MY CAR. From what I know MMI 2G high, with older tv reciever. I have lots of cables heatshrink and solder.

I am sure its easier than converting a 100 non bose to a bose symphony 2.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Moded,

Sounds like your either in NZ or Oz, either way you've bought a JPN marker A6 and you'll need to convert it before you can see English settings in your MMI, this should assist:
or

If not, in the VCDS menu there's an option to change the language as well.

When you state you have a "minidisc player", do you mean CD player in the glove box...if so that's pretty common and useful if you need to update your MMI to the latest version:
https://a6retrofit.com/mmi-software-...1-5570-5-5-70/

Good luck with the new car.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default thanks

Yeah I actually live in JP. 3 radio stations... And a real mini disc in the glove box. Mini disc is a CD player but mini. It fits next to the 6 disc CD and can hold 3.
I already read and saw those. I really am now just looking for the points to solder rca inputs to the TV tuner giving me audio and video. Lot of optics back there. My problem is I an trying to get the whole thing audio and video. I already enabled the av inputs I just need to find the correct pins to solder to. Just like the backup cam.
I believe its pin 19 on a plug I've never seen.

On a positive I got the offending passenger trim off and I'm warming resin to do a carbon fiber overlatly.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hahaha found er.

I have no clue why someone with Audi TV would buy all those cables.... Found the plug. Just looking for pins. None of my junk has it and my heatshrink is missing in action. I may buy some junk vag stuff from a bone yard. Component cables are the way to go. Cheap n dirty. If I had mmi 3g maybe I'd do better but I don't have it.