A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Mid-head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid-head gasket? Pic added

I have an oil leak on my 06 3.2 that I have been trying to track down. It started when it got cold (Lake Tahoe cold) so I thought it was the timing chain covers.

I pressure washed everything to visually verify that was the case. It was not. The oil was coming from the head on the drivers side. So I thought it was the valve cover gasket. When I was replacing it I was able to get a better view and it looks like it is coming from the mid head gasket?? Not sure what to call it. If you were to replace the gasket for the spark plug valleys it looks as though there is a gasket mid head. Below the cams above the cylinders.

I have the spark plug gaskets and need to change them out as well but I didn't want to take it apart with out that other gasket. What is that gasket called? I don't think it is the actual head gasket or I would have all kinds of problems.

Where the screwdriver is pointing.
Attached Images  

Last edited by dakinejb; 02-08-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dakinejb
I have an oil leak on my 06 3.2 that I have been trying to track down. It started when it got cold (Lake Tahoe cold) so I thought it was the timing chain covers.

I pressure washed everything to visually verify that was the case. It was not. The oil was coming from the head on the drivers side. So I thought it was the valve cover gasket. When I was replacing it I was able to get a better view and it looks like it is coming from the mid head gasket?? Not sure what to call it. If you were to replace the gasket for the spark plug valleys it looks as though there is a gasket mid head. Below the cams above the cylinders.

I have the spark plug gaskets and need to change them out as well but I didn't want to take it apart with out that other gasket. What is that gasket called? I don't think it is the actual head gasket or I would have all kinds of problems.
Are you referring to the cam girdle? It goes around the spark plug holes and around the exhaust solenoids. There are a total of 4 oil control solenoids, 2 intake, 2 exhaust. They are all interchangeable.

Part# 06E103650A

Parts# 06E103649A
Old 02-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No not there outside the head.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Maybe the oil seperator gasket under the intake? I have oil pooling in that "valley" area
Old 02-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where the screwdriver is pointing
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2017, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That's the cam guide frame interface to the head. It's an RTV seal around the outer edge and a rubber gasket to seal to the spark plug tubes. You'd need to pull the guide frame, run a bead of RTV around the edge, and re-install. It's a pretty significant amount of effort ,but could possibly be done without pulling the engine given that yours is the 3.2. I've got an S6 with the 5.2 and wanted to do the same to resolve an oil leak but have no hope of removing the cam timing chains given the proximity to the firewall.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by froggers4
That's the cam guide frame interface to the head. It's an RTV seal around the outer edge and a rubber gasket to seal to the spark plug tubes. You'd need to pull the guide frame, run a bead of RTV around the edge, and re-install. It's a pretty significant amount of effort ,but could possibly be done without pulling the engine given that yours is the 3.2. I've got an S6 with the 5.2 and wanted to do the same to resolve an oil leak but have no hope of removing the cam timing chains given the proximity to the firewall.
Perfect thanks. Ill probably tackle it this weekend.