A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI 2G Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. Glad everything worked out for you!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm preparing to do this update, got the CD's burned. I have to check if I have the NAV 5 CD but i'm not sure about the Bluetooth update due to the fact that I don't think i have Bluetooth. It looks like it has a telephone button but no phone.. I think it was disabled? How can I can i check if i have Bluetooth capability so I don't mess anything up.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A phone is a telephone?? If your in the US you have bluetooth, if you have MMI high, i'm about 75% sure you have the bluetooth.

The updates CD's here won't let you mess anything up, just run the bluetooth CD first update then the other CD. Then run the bluetooth CD again. Run both CD's until there are no further updates. (Took me 3 times with the bluetooth(CD 1) and twice with the MMI(CD2)
Old 02-22-2015, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So after messing around with the MMI today I was able to disconnect whatever old phone profile was on and successfully connect my phone, you're completely right! I had Bluetooth all along. My only issue is that I checked my NAV CD and I still have version 4. Is there any known way around this?
Old 02-22-2015, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mok$$
So after messing around with the MMI today I was able to disconnect whatever old phone profile was on and successfully connect my phone, you're completely right! I had Bluetooth all along. My only issue is that I checked my NAV CD and I still have version 4. Is there any known way around this?
Essentially updating the MMI is akin to updating the drivers and firmware on your PC, but the reason you want to update is for better and newer software...in this case, newer maps.

Last edited by raj99; 07-22-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went ahead and finally did the update. For the first update, I had the car idling for the Bluetooth disc. It took the longest with one update taking around 30-45 minutes. The disc itself had 2 updates. The first one was about 5-10 minutes with the second one taking longer. I did have to run the disc twice.
The second disc didn't take more than 15 minutes with a bunch of little updates. I also had to run this disc about twice I believe. Overall about 90 minutes needed to get things updated. I will say that during disc 2 the car randomly turned off but the update succeeded without issue.
Don't take my word on this, but I think you can probably even perform the update while driving. I didn't actually try it while driving although I did get to the "OK to Update" screen while driving so I'm guessing you can do it. The car does a very good job of keeping voltages constant across all systems; that's why you're able to start the car without the MMI momentarily turning off compared to other cars that momentarily turn off the stereo when you start the car. I did not try turning the car on though.

After the update my climate controls and battery level were missing. Both of them were added back via the hidden menu. A restart of the MMI was needed after each change.

So what did I gain with the new update?
  • My contacts now actually sync via Bluetooth. No more empty phonebook.
  • No more "Accept" dialog box when you first start the car. Instead you're greeted with the MMI splash screen (which you can customize by the way) and that's it. Also when you turn MMI off (press and hold the volume button) the splash screen shows up instead of just a blank screen.
  • Changing between Radio/XM stations has a fade in/fade out effect. So transitions between stations is nice and smooth. It might not sound like a big deal but it's really nice.
  • Voice Command: My voice command button now actually works. I haven't been able to actually successfully get it to make a call or something but never the less, the button now does something and you can talk into it and it understands whatever commands you can give it, but I haven't been able to get it to make a call.. Yet.
  • More stability? Initially after getting updated things were a little wonky but now it's all settled in and things seem to be working just fine. I think it's also a bit more responsive, but it might be a placebo effect. I never did have any issues with my MMI so this update just adds some features for me. It also do have AMI settings added in the hidden menu.

I burned my CD's at 16x (the lowest my CD burner supports) on Sony CD-R discs I bought from Target. I think it's been a worthwhile upgrade so far so good. I do have the discs burned if anyone wants them that has had bad luck burning them. I can ship them for free as long as you agree to ship them to the next person gratis to help everyone get updated assuming there's enough interest in that sort of thing.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great job - enoch861!

I am temped to upgrade mine now. But the MMI is working fine for me; not sure worth the effort and risk to do the upgrade. I had twice the front audio shut off while the rear audio worked fine in the past. But it returned to normal the next morning. Not sure what the cause was; I was thinking bugs in the AMI system - maybe?!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would do it, it fixes bugs and can even correct random issues regarding the software being old. When i used to turn my car on, my MMI would restart twice before actually working (I could see the lights turn on and then off twice)

After the update it doesn't do it anymore and works flawlessly.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by first.octopus
Great job - enoch861!

I am temped to upgrade mine now. But the MMI is working fine for me; not sure worth the effort and risk to do the upgrade. I had twice the front audio shut off while the rear audio worked fine in the past. But it returned to normal the next morning. Not sure what the cause was; I was thinking bugs in the AMI system - maybe?!
Thanks!
I did my update as a spur of the moment thing while working on something else in the house. I had 2 hours in the house and thought what the heck? Quickly downloaded and burned the CD's... an hour and a half later, all updated. Leave your car outside or in the garage or whatever, start update, go back in the house and do whatever you were doing. Bluetooth update 1: come back after 5 minutes. Bluetooth update 2: come back after 30 minutes or so. MMI update 1: come back after 15 minutes. MMI update 2: might as well stick around since it's really fast. I also wouldn't say there's a lot risk doing the update. The only way I can tell you can really screw up is if you run CD2 first instead of CD1 and that would only kill Bluetooth.
I forgot to mention I also used to have a weird audio issue where when you started the car it would kind of cycle between bass speakers first and then play audio normally. That whole process lasted about 2 seconds max. I don't think it does it anymore since I haven't heard it to that.
There are probably other improvements but honestly it's hard to tell without a changelog or being extremely familiar with every little nut and bolt of the MMI. A lot of the changes are also probably behind the scenes so you'd never be able to tell.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FormulaElement
Alright, took the battery cable off for a while then put it back on. Didn't seem to help the HVAC controls to show up but i did put in the bluetooth CD again and it showed a update. It updated from 0 to 1130 (again). It did this before but I don't know why it was showing as no updates available until I took the battery cable off for a bit. It now shows up as installed.

As far as the HVAC controls showing on the MMI screen went, I looked online and found a thread on AZ and SinCity had the same thing happen to him. Anyways you have to enable the hidden menu in the MMI or dig around VCDS and enable 'Air Condition'. That will make the controls show up on the MMI screen again. All is well again!
What did you have to do or can you supply a link to that thread you found? I'm having the same issue, when you adjust the temperature or heated seats nothing comes up on the screen like it did and when you push setup it doesn't do anything then.

Everything else went perfectly.

Quick Reply: MMI 2G Software Update