A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI Screen scrambled

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Screen scrambled

I have a 2006 A6 Avant. My MMI screen comes on but only shows a cloudy white screen or a screen with orange or white lines on it. At first the problem was intermittent, but it has not worked properly in about a month now. All the funcations work perfectly. Radio, CD, etc. I just can't see anything on the screen.

Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? I did install a Dennison Icelink to hook my iPod up to the stereo, so I'm going to check those connections later today. That was installed 3 years ago and its been working fine up until recently.

I took it to my dealer who thinks it is a harness that needs to be replaced and he wants $600 to do it. I'd prefer to resolve this myself if I can. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smd1973
I have a 2006 A6 Avant. My MMI screen comes on but only shows a cloudy white screen or a screen with orange or white lines on it. At first the problem was intermittent, but it has not worked properly in about a month now. All the funcations work perfectly. Radio, CD, etc. I just can't see anything on the screen.

Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? I did install a Dennison Icelink to hook my iPod up to the stereo, so I'm going to check those connections later today. That was installed 3 years ago and its been working fine up until recently.

I took it to my dealer who thinks it is a harness that needs to be replaced and he wants $600 to do it. I'd prefer to resolve this myself if I can. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

There is a TSB - http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/MMI/MMI%2...20flickers.pdf

One on ebay for 2G - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-MMI-2...item1c2be428de

Last edited by royclark; 11-01-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. What exactly does a TSB mean? Is this something that Audi is covering because it is a known problem or will I still have to pay for the repair?? Thanks!

Steve
Old 11-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

TSB= Technical Service Bulletin. These are typically covered during the warranty period if the customer complains about the symptoms described and they are reproducible. If you are out of warranty then they will not cover it. Unless you are barely out of warranty and have had the dealer service the car since new they might do a good will fix. Otherwise there'd be charge.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. What exactly does a TSB mean? Is this something that Audi is covering because it is a known problem or will I still have to pay for the repair?? Thanks!

Steve
A "TSB" is a Technical Service Bulletin which is released to assist technicians in solving customer issues or complaints. They are not covered under warranty and are provided as information only to assist in the repair of a known problem. We can get you the harness in a few days for $114.58 and as long as you know what you are doing you should be able to swap it out on your own. My assumption is the $600.00 quote from the dealer is due to the labor required to get to the harness. Please let us know if we can assist you in any way.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
TSB= Technical Service Bulletin. These are typically covered during the warranty period if the customer complains about the symptoms described and they are reproducible. If you are out of warranty then they will not cover it. Unless you are barely out of warranty and have had the dealer service the car since new they might do a good will fix. Otherwise there'd be charge.
I should have clarified, unless your vehicle is still under warranty, the TSB's are not covered.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As you have installed a Dennison Icelink the first thing to do is to check that the cables are still a good conection, they could have worked loose.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am experiencing the same issue with my MMI screen (white to light gray color with some horizontal dark gray lines) on 2007 A6. Did you fix it?
What were the faulty parts? Thanks!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by todorake
I am experiencing the same issue with my MMI screen (white to light gray color with some horizontal dark gray lines) on 2007 A6. Did you fix it?
What were the faulty parts? Thanks!
I did fix it. I ended up having to take it to my Audi dealer because the area that needed to be accessed was so tight to get to that my regular mechanic wouldn't do it. I don't remember what parts were replaced, but they got it fixed and I think I had to pay about 1500.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would love some more info on this resolution