A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI WONT POWER ON!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI WONT POWER ON!!!!

I have a 2005 Audi A6 and my MMI wont work. The screen is black, the radio wont come on or anything. The CD changer still operates as normal. I believe it has something to do with my battery but Audi disagrees. I went in for two oil changes and each time they told my battery failed inspection. I didnt worry about it because the car still ran. I was told that certain systems would shut down to preserve the battery. One day it just would not come on. At first the side mirrors stopped shifting down automatically when I put the gear in reverse. Next the MMI went black. I am tired of riding in silence and I have no idea what the problem is and I don't to take it to the dealership and pay god knows what just for them to tell me what the problem is!!!! SOMEBODY HELP
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I changed the battery but didn't code anything because the MMI wont power up. I was told I had to do it through there although Im not sure that is true.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by krazarr
I changed the battery but didn't code anything because the MMI wont power up. I was told I had to do it through there although Im not sure that is true.

You don't use the MMI to code a new battery, you do it with your vag-com (VCDS).
Look here, 7th screen - http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/recode_screen.html
If you don't code your new battery, the car thinks it still has the old one so will carry on shutting things down until it is told there is a new battery.

Has it been cold where you are?
If so read this - http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Stereo/Ra...%20degrees.pdf

and this - http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/MMI/MMI%2...%20degrees.pdf

Full list of TSB's - http://www.uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Audi%...TSB%20List.htm

Last edited by royclark; 03-29-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by royclark
You don't use the MMI to code a new battery, you do it with your vag-com (VCDS).
Look here, 7th screen - http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/recode_screen.html
If you don't code your new battery, the car thinks it still has the old one so will carry on shutting things down until it is told there is a new battery.

Has it been cold where you are?
If so read this - http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Stereo/Ra...%20degrees.pdf

and this - http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/MMI/MMI%2...%20degrees.pdf

Full list of TSB's - http://www.uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Audi%...TSB%20List.htm

Ok I may sound slow but...where can I get Vag-Com n how much is it? Once it is reprogrammed will everything turn back on? None of the lights on the cluster (cd, fm/am, nav, car, setup) illuminates anymore. If I do take it to the dealer do I just have them recode the battery?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

if I were you; don't have a vag, don't understand how to program the car, etc...I would just go to the dealer and they will be able to do it very quickly for you.

every audi dealer and good Indy audi mechanic has a vag com and they need to pair the battery to the car. however this is not guaranteed to solve your issue, but most likely will
Old 03-30-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
if I were you; don't have a vag, don't understand how to program the car, etc...I would just go to the dealer and they will be able to do it very quickly for you.

every audi dealer and good Indy audi mechanic has a vag com and they need to pair the battery to the car. however this is not guaranteed to solve your issue, but most likely will
I agree. Just go to the dealer it's the easiest thing to do.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to run under $300 for the new battery and recoding.

But you should get yourself a ross tech vag com. Check ebay but watch out for the fake one or buy one direct with support for one year with ross tech.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ross-Tech-VCDS-VAG-COM-HEX-CAN-USB-Diagnostic-Tool-/281082907129?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item4171d8c9f9&vxp=mtr
But if you do research you could find the battery for $150

Last edited by eazy211187; 03-30-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My radio mmi isn't working and is completely black. when it first started the screen came on and just the audi mmi logo screen came in but after a while it would go black and nothing else functioned the entire time. I would turn off the car and turn it back on and the screen would do the same but a light thumping sound came from the speakers as if it was the amp trying to work but wouldn't. then a day or so later i turned the car on and nothing came on the screen was black and the console buttons don't function period but still you'll hear the light thumping sound as if the amp is struggling to work. Does anyone know what it might be? my feeling is the amp and i remember not long before the issues the left side (driver side rear) of my rear trunk panel where the amp is at had some water and i had to use a towel to soak it up. Do i need to replace my amp? is the amp capable of completely shuting down the MMI from working if it goes bad? It's a 2005 a6 3.2 liter quattro 4 door sedan
Old 03-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99

My radio mmi isn't working and is completely black. when it first started the screen came on and just the audi mmi logo screen came in but after a while it would go black and nothing else functioned the entire time. I would turn off the car and turn it back on and the screen would do the same but a light thumping sound came from the speakers as if it was the amp trying to work but wouldn't. then a day or so later i turned the car on and nothing came on the screen was black and the console buttons don't function period but still you'll hear the light thumping sound as if the amp is struggling to work. Does anyone know what it might be? my feeling is the amp and i remember not long before the issues the left side (driver side rear) of my rear trunk panel where the amp is at had some water and i had to use a towel to soak it up. Do i need to replace my amp? is the amp capable of completely shuting down the MMI from working if it goes bad? It's a 2005 a6 3.2 liter quattro 4 door sedan
Old 03-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eazy211187
It's going to run under $300 for the new battery and recoding.

But you should get yourself a ross tech vag com. Check ebay but watch out for the fake one or buy one direct with support for one year with ross tech.

Ross Tech VCDS VAG COM HEX+CAN USB Diagnostic Tool | eBay

But if you do research you could find the battery for $150

Quick Reply: MMI WONT POWER ON!!!!