A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Most common problems for 3.2 fsi Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaElement
Do you have a source for the Italian tune-up removing carbon?? I've read that it doesn't create enough heat to actually remove carbon. Can't remember where though...

Anyways everyone should invest in a catch can for their FSI engine. It will save you a lot of money in the long run, just dispose of it legally...
My primary source of info on the Italian tune-up has been the local Audi mech's at one of the nearby dealer's and also a VAG tuner shop; who happens to track a number of cars. Also, if you do a search on AW or other VAG forums, you'll see that there are a LOT of threads that this as recommended form of carbon clean, or at least carbon mitigation.

The Italian Tuneup is mostly for those that baby their cars more than they drive them.
Hit WOT once or twice to redline every 500 miles or so and you'll never need one.

Commuting or daily driving like a Grandma for extended periods of time is why you even need to do one in the first place.

Its called the Italian Tuneup because Ferrari identified that the super rich that were buying their super cars and were never taking them past low rpm's because they didn't want to "hurt their baby". Ferrari was the first to recommend at the dealership level to perform WOT runs to clean out the oil and pcv passages, etc.

Porsche learned this the hard way with their first wasserboxer regarding air cooling passages in the block that they decided to use for pcv routing instead. Many, many complaints ensued from the "hurt their baby" crowd and it was fixed by letting the dealership techs go out and rip on your car for a little bit.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was Really good diary" of the engine raj. When there is not possible to take X ray on the carbon buildup, i have to clean it before is start make sympoms. Engine of the world is not the FI), but , the dealer never talk about this problem, so when they produce this engine first time in 2004, they dont See the problem in the test period. But high RPM , redline driving are most bad, Build up carbon, and after clean it is best to take care of it like "Commuting or daily driving like a Grandma for extended periods of time is why you even need to do one in the first place" And not Do the 5-10 min driving with cold engine. 98k stay on trip clock now, so i must do it asap😊👍
Originally Posted by raj99
My primary source of info on the Italian tune-up has been the local Audi mech's at one of the nearby dealer's and also a VAG tuner shop; who happens to track a number of cars. Also, if you do a search on AW or other VAG forums, you'll see that there are a LOT of threads that this as recommended form of carbon clean, or at least carbon mitigation.

The Italian Tuneup is mostly for those that baby their cars more than they drive them.
Hit WOT once or twice to redline every 500 miles or so and you'll never need one.

Commuting or daily driving like a Grandma for extended periods of time is why you even need to do one in the first place.

Its called the Italian Tuneup because Ferrari identified that the super rich that were buying their super cars and were never taking them past low rpm's because they didn't want to "hurt their baby". Ferrari was the first to recommend at the dealership level to perform WOT runs to clean out the oil and pcv passages, etc.

Porsche learned this the hard way with their first wasserboxer regarding air cooling passages in the block that they decided to use for pcv routing instead. Many, many complaints ensued from the "hurt their baby" crowd and it was fixed by letting the dealership techs go out and rip on your car for a little bit.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one tried just to spray mist of water, on the wormed up, hot engine into air intake on 3.2L?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by sergem78
Any one tried just to spray mist of water, on the wormed up, hot engine into air intake on 3.2L?

TDI Decarbonization With Water Mist - YouTube
I personally wouldn't shoot pure water down my air intake...however, if you read earlier in the thread, I did recommend Methanol injection, which is essentially a 50/50 mix of meth and water, which is 'misted' into the air intake...

<I>Methanol Injection – Typically referred to as “Meth” it’s been around a LOT longer than the illicit drug, and is basically a raw form of octane. What it’s used for is to both cool the incoming air (making it denser and therefore holds more oxygen for combustion) as well as boost the octane rating, which equates to more power. Methanol is mixed 50/50 with distilled water, and uses a special tank to hold it in, with its own pump and delivery system. The methanol is injected into the air intake around the throttle body, misting the incoming air. The methanol mist in the air cools it through evaporation, and since it’s a combustible liquid, it helps take place of the washing that non-DI engines get, by coating the backs of the valves and pulls the deposits into the fuel system rather than it baking and hardening there, as well as giving more horsepower and performance out of the car at the same time. Methanol is not very expensive, but is dangerous due to high octane and ability to burn, hence mixing 50/50. A typical use system will go through a small (1 liter) tank every 1-2 tanks of gas.</I>
Old 11-30-2020, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Hmm, FWIW my father used distilled water in the Navy for precisely the same purposes on big diesel engines. For us, you need to start with a hot engine and then a fine controlled mist into the intake stream.