A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

msds filters

Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msds filters

just wondering for those that have installed the msds air filters in your S6, do you feel it was worth it? have you had any problems with the MAF's getting oiled up? Marty told me they're lightly oiled from the factory so i wouldn't have to worry about oiling them improperly myself. i wasn't planning on doing a tune or exhaust in the near future, we'll see, but for those that have done just the filters, have you noticed any noticeable gains?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VONBOTTLE
just wondering for those that have installed the msds air filters in your S6, do you feel it was worth it? have you had any problems with the MAF's getting oiled up? Marty told me they're lightly oiled from the factory so i wouldn't have to worry about oiling them improperly myself. i wasn't planning on doing a tune or exhaust in the near future, we'll see, but for those that have done just the filters, have you noticed any noticeable gains?
I have K&N filters in which is pretty much the same as the MSDS filters. There is no perceivable difference in performance and no problems with the MAF sensors. I cleaned and oiled them once without any problems. I did that on my old Passat many times and never had any problems. You just spray the oil on the dirty side of the filter and don't over do it and you'll be fine. With that said however, save yourself the money and just leave the paper filters in.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically the only issues you would have is if you cleaned it and put on too much oil. Then it could get pulled into the intake and onto the maf.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't think there'd be much difference, but all i've read have been from those who've used the filters along with tune and/or exhaust but none with just the filters. most of the driving i do is around town so i'm definitely not going to see any difference going from stoplight to stoplight. i figured it's only about $100 more for the msds filters than new stock paper filters, so not much of an investment, but if you're not seeing any perceivable difference, then stock filters are probably fine.