A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

NEED 3.2 QUATTRO ENGINE OR REBUILD

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Asap806
Idk what a Bentley is unless ur referring to another car
It's a repair manual
Old 02-08-2014, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Idk what a Bentley is unless ur referring to another car
FWIW, the Bentley manual is the go to guide for pretty much ALL Audi repair. Trying to do an engine swap/rebuild without one would be near impossible...unless of course you've done numerous past installs.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/audi/
Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
FWIW, the Bentley manual is the go to guide for pretty much ALL Audi repair. Trying to do an engine swap/rebuild without one would be near impossible...unless of course you've done numerous past installs.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/audi/
Gotcha. This is all I found so far.
Audi A6, S6
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
including Avant, quattro
Repair Manual on DVD-ROM
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Gotcha. This is all I found so far.
Audi A6, S6
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
including Avant, quattro
Repair Manual on DVD-ROM
yep, that sounds right. here's what you need: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/aud...009-ebahn.html
Old 02-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
yep, that sounds right. here's what you need: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/aud...009-ebahn.html
Cool. Yea that's what I found. Man just seen pics of the timing chains on a 4.2 and I feel so over my head... Lol
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing i want to caution everyone replacing an 3.2 engine that had valve to piston contact: replace it with a complete engine. Do not reuse the intake manifold from your blown engine. It will have metal pieces in it. I found out the hard way when i bought an engine as a stripped short block and had to reuse my intake manifold. About 1k miles later the replacement engine ingested the metal and two cylinder walls looked like they imprisoned some wild cats :-)) so i had to replace the engine block and that's when i did a full timing job and now it rums great.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by odoboyusa
One thing i want to caution everyone replacing an 3.2 engine that had valve to piston contact: replace it with a complete engine. Do not reuse the intake manifold from your blown engine. It will have metal pieces in it. I found out the hard way when i bought an engine as a stripped short block and had to reuse my intake manifold. About 1k miles later the replacement engine ingested the metal and two cylinder walls looked like they imprisoned some wild cats :-)) so i had to replace the engine block and that's when i did a full timing job and now it rums great.
Thank you for the heads up cause I got an engine on its way from getting rebuilt. I'm not sure if I have to worry so much with the intake cause the engine went in my garage and haven't been able to get it running since besides a couple starts with starting fluid. Wonder if I can clean my intake just to play safe?
Old 03-01-2014, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the heads up cause I got an engine on its way from getting rebuilt. I'm not sure if I have to worry so much with the intake cause the engine went in my garage and haven't been able to get it running since besides a couple starts with starting fluid. Wonder if I can clean my intake just to play safe?
Not sure if you managed to see the internals of the engine after it was torn apart, if it was. If there was piston to valve contact then it's very likely there will be debris in the manifold. If the valves were just slightly bent then you could be fine and that engine could actually be repaired.
in my case, i shopped around for the manifold but all that i could find were removed from a blown engine, somewhat to be expected. So i tore mine apart ( cannot be split in half like the 4.2) and filled it with water and industrial degreaser. I let it sit a bit and then i moved the internal flaps back and forth and them took a garden hose and gave it a long thorough rinse. After it dried i shook it again while moving the internal flaps to make sure nothing was lodged in the internal flaps. The procedure was quite ghetto but it did the job.
by the way, who is rebuilding your engine? I have another 3.2 in parts thst i'd like to reassemble but the cost of puston rings and the bearings makes it not worth it. Just wondering if anyone makes rebuild parts for these engines as i was not able to find anything other than the dealer and even then was not sure which parts to get as there seem to be multiple variations of the same rod bearing for example.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by odoboyusa
Not sure if you managed to see the internals of the engine after it was torn apart, if it was. If there was piston to valve contact then it's very likely there will be debris in the manifold. If the valves were just slightly bent then you could be fine and that engine could actually be repaired.
in my case, i shopped around for the manifold but all that i could find were removed from a blown engine, somewhat to be expected. So i tore mine apart ( cannot be split in half like the 4.2) and filled it with water and industrial degreaser. I let it sit a bit and then i moved the internal flaps back and forth and them took a garden hose and gave it a long thorough rinse. After it dried i shook it again while moving the internal flaps to make sure nothing was lodged in the internal flaps. The procedure was quite ghetto but it did the job.
by the way, who is rebuilding your engine? I have another 3.2 in parts thst i'd like to reassemble but the cost of puston rings and the bearings makes it not worth it. Just wondering if anyone makes rebuild parts for these engines as i was not able to find anything other than the dealer and even then was not sure which parts to get as there seem to be multiple variations of the same rod bearing for example.
Actually after a bunch of searching with the idea of fixing my engine but was looking around 3 grand in parts and lots of labor or buying a used engine for $3500 and then another $1000 in timing parts and lots of labor. I happen to run into a company in California that has a engine with 60k miles and there going to open up the engine and do a sludge clean and then replace all the timing parts and install a upgraded water pump for $3100 shipped. Decided to not chance doing internal work and saved some time. I have 2 weeks to get the old engine off before the new one comes.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have exactly the same problem with my car. It's so expensive to fix the engine. Thinking to sell for scrap but getting very low price. So thinking to get a used engine for the car.

Quick Reply: NEED 3.2 QUATTRO ENGINE OR REBUILD