A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Need some purchase advise please

Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some purchase advise please

Due to a pending job change, I'm going to have to trade my Infiniti coupe for a sedan of some sorts. I have always admired the C6's looks inside and out and have located a couple candidates. One is a 2008 4.2 Quattro with 80K. I also found a couple V6's. a 2007 with 80K and a 2008 with 65K. the higher mile V6 is about 3K less than the lower mile one.

I have tried to research here but haven't been able to turn up much as to any common issues on either model.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oscarbravo
Due to a pending job change, I'm going to have to trade my Infiniti coupe for a sedan of some sorts. I have always admired the C6's looks inside and out and have located a couple candidates. One is a 2008 4.2 Quattro with 80K. I also found a couple V6's. a 2007 with 80K and a 2008 with 65K. the higher mile V6 is about 3K less than the lower mile one.

I have tried to research here but haven't been able to turn up much as to any common issues on either model.

Thanks in advance!
by looking at the 2007&2008 3.2 they have been depreciated the same way as it's 15k diff. in mileage and this is what you pretty much use a year so i'd go for the one with more options and less issues so you need to drive both and test them out and most important thing is to get detailed history for both....there is a slight diff. between both but only an audi expert will tell you.. you wouldn't be able to tell be just looking at them they look pretty much the same...........for the 4.2 engine it's a great car and beautiful engine that gives you 335-345hp so it's up to you and depends on what you really need from the car......
Old 10-11-2013, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my CPO 2008 A6 from an Audi dealer. Brought the car back to dealer for repair the next day. Sunroof problem and rear electrical problem that cause the turn signal not working. A few more dealer visits to fix other stuffs. Finally, Audi replaced the entire sunroof for free last year. Since then, the car had been running great. Do the 55K service myself last month.

The car performed very well until it broke. Make sure you can either do the repair yourself or have a reasonable/honest mechanic to do the repair.

Bottom Line. The car is fun to drive even with all those problems.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oscarbravo

Thanks in advance!
Just upgraded from a C5 to C6 - 5th used Audi. Repair records are key if you can get them. My 03 had repair receipts in the glove box which really gave me a good idea of any past history problems. Carfax sometimes can help but it is not always accurate. But if I see no dealership maintenance records under warranty, I would be concerned. If I see multiple check driveability visits to a dealer, I'd also be concerned. If recurring electrical issues show up, another concern. Still it's no guarantee. Not all dealers are reputable, but someone took the time and if out of warranty, the money to have the dealer fix or maintain. My Acura Certified MDX was a disaster despite a clean record.

Bottom line, expect some electrical problems on any high end car - they are just complex vehicles. I wanted the 3.2 because of the mileage and my independent mech's recommendation. I'm still concerned about carbon build-up and premature Catalytic converter failure, especially after noting the soot in the exhaust pipes. But the car runs nice and I pulled the codes before I bought it.

Synthetic oil changes regularly which is why seeing dealer services gives me a higher confidence. On my 03 A6, it's every 3-4K for oil and I'm at 195K now. I'm told that the 4.2 doesn't have a sludge issue and the 3.2 is much better then the earlier v6's (3.0L is the worst).

And, depending upon where you live, check the special carfax site for Hurricane Sandy vehicles. This applies to any make used car. Big problem in the northeast. Type in the VIN and it will tell you if it has been in an area that was flooded. It doesn't mean it was damaged, but check it out much more thoroughly. I got stung on my first Audi (98) with that one - no Hurricane, but the car was under water at least up to the lower door panels. Found that out when I disassembled the seat memory switch which on that car was in the lower door panel - completely corroded inside and that just led to more surprises when I pulled up the carpet.

Very nice driving car - each model just gets better. Enjoy.