A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New C6.5 guy - Feed me tons of info

Old 05-03-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2010 C6.5 Car thread

Hi guys, name is Bill as the username suggests. Picked up a 2010 A6 Prestige with snow package and 95K on it's clock yesterday. The VAG platform is new to me and I am/have been reading til my eyes bleed.

Forum looks fairly packed with info and I look forward to picking a few brains along the way. I've been driving Eaton blower cars for years now starting with a 95 Bonneville SSEi, then a 97, moved my way into Regal GS's etc along the way. The 97 Bonneville was the one of everything car, topping out around 460 CHP. Wrong platform for power though.

Coming from mostly GM's, I have the tools to play with them. Being new to VAG, this means more tools and what guy doesn't get a little giddy about some new tools? Picked up the Ross Tech tool before finding a car, wasn't going to buy without knowing that it was tip top electronically. The other few things like the MMI ****/surround being a little goofed up should be straight forward fixes. I've also heard a vacuum filler for the coolant should be another purchase soon. If you know of tools I'll need, please ... fill me in.

Looks like this is a timing chain motor and shouldn't need that anytime soon (can't seem to find a definitive answer on it being a chain though). Wheels have some rash, they'll become the winter set. I'd like to beat the person that took the owners manual and the child seat hook covers. Overall I'm enjoying the new car and will snag the pieces it needs to be complete.

Anyhow..I'm off to read more.

Thanks for the great source of information!

Last edited by BillBoost37; 08-03-2015 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Welcome to the site

Your A6 will be a joy, I hope. I have had two A6's (2.7 twin turbo and 3.0 Supercharged) and we loved them both. Not Audi's best car for spirited driving although they handle well for the size and they do so much with grace. They quattro system makes them very competent in foul weather and with the sport packages, they clung to corners (big time understeer though).

I think you'll get plenty of answers to specific questions as you post them. The various Audi Clubs are great and I belong to both the New England and Los Angeles Chapters. Don't apologize for GM iron as many of us own multiple marques. Our chapter president has a new Corvette Stingray and it is a royal beast. I was back in New England last summer and managed to rent a new Camaro SS for 10 days and drove for about 20 hours straight one day and couldn't stop smiling. Went from Cape Cod to Mount Desert Island Maine and back to re-acquaint myself with lost lands.

Not sure what part of the country you are writing from, but likely there are Audi events nearby. In New England, there were regular events at the Audi Tech Center in Marlboro. Not only could you meet other Club members, but you could chat with Audi Techs as well.

Below is a pic of our first A6 (2.7 twin turbo) on its first day home in 2004 - Drove from Cape Cod in a driving storm to Mount Desert Island in Maine - classic Audi Country

Vorsprung der Technik!

Eric
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Welcome to the club. You will enjoy the C6 forum.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes... Oddly enough I was moved to the....er C7 forum. Since I need a title change anyhow.. I'm going to hope to not get in trouble and go intro myself to a few of those guys too.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default New C6 guy - Feed me tons of info

Hi guys,

Picked up a 2010 C6 this weekend with 95K on the clock.

Hadn't even gotten a chance to wash it before this picture

Have a little bubbling on the MMI console surround

Prestige with Snow Package. And who knows what else.

I'm a bit out of place being the new guy, there's very little about a GM 3.8L vehicle that I don't know. On Audi's though, I'm reading til my eyes bleed on the new posts etc and searching on a few things as well It didn't come with manuals, sooooo I'm a bit lost on a couple of minor things. Little dealership guy was pretty good when I pulled out the VCDS and checked the car over.

Like I said though, I know I have tons to learn and would be thrilled if you guys would toss a link of favorite mods/fixes/informational threads at me. I need to learn, have a thirst for it. That way I can hopefully start giving back to the community soon enough.

What kind of threads you say, well, what maintenance might my car be telling me is due in 800 miles when the oil is clean. Can VCDS tell me? Will the car tell me and I simply don't know how to use the menus? I was looking at the fogs that come on 4.2 equipped A6's and wondering if they give off more light. Part of my daily commute is over the woods and way the heck past Grannies house. It can be dark with tons of critters looking to explore the exciting game of bumper bingo.

Toss it all at me, tell me anything that comes to mind. I'm also interested in adding the front parking sensors (C6 did have the option, right?)

My plans are to hit up the local dealer and ask them to pull the service records and options listing.

Anyhow.. off to make the trek to work. Will check in later.. thanks for welcoming me to the forum!
Old 05-06-2015, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Bill, another Ma$$hole here. Welcome aboard! Looks like a nice car!

There's a label in the trunk (near spare tire) that lists the production run info on the car. It looks like this:

Name:  A45-10106.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  42.7 KB

That will list the bits 'n' pieces that make up your specific car. It includes all the standard equipment so the list may be long. Somewhere on this site is the PR decoder.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome, that's the kind of stuff I am looking for! Keep it coming guys. BTW I pulled the trigger on a set of 2011 owners manual, nav/mmi, warranty/maintain etc. Couldn't deal with not knowing how to dazzle others with all the features.

In case anyone has needs, I do have Alldata, VCDS and a nice sized box of tool.

Do we have wheel lug studs or lug nuts?
Old 05-06-2015, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Lug bolts. Torqued to 88 ft*lbs.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

PR decoder: VW Group Option Codes Decoder
Old 05-06-2015, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Maint. schedule for 2010 USA cars: http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...-Year-2010.pdf (< print several copies and use as your check list for car's history file)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New C6.5 guy - Feed me tons of info