A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New C6.5 guy - Feed me tons of info

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Adding paddle shifting via vag is pretty straight-forward.

I recently installed a paddle enabled steering wheel in my C6 and it was actually quite easy. As for programming it, here you go:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24656916

VAG-COM Programming

1) Connect VAG cable to car and open controller 16 - Steering Wheel.

2) Select Recode - 07

3) Write down original softcoding. For my car, it was 02042

4) To enable the paddle shift buttons, change the 3 digit from right from a "0" to a "1"
(i.e. 02042 --> 02142) and click on "Do It". The latest version of the VAG-COM includes a
label file that deciphers the coding on this controller.

5) Close controller. And go test the car.
Wow, Awesome, thank you so much Raj. So Bill? You want to test out paddle shifting? I'm not getting my VagCom for another couple months so your call.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

Being in New England, Snow Package was a requirement for me. Meaning the heated steering wheel. I searched and noticed as shown in Raj's picture that the 3 spoke is not available in a heated, paddle version.

My wheel is a 4 spoke, heated, with paddle shifters. FWIW I never touch them, they do work, but it's over rated to me. If I want performance I'll use Sport mode or click the switch at 100% throttle to put me into Sport mode. I liked WOT too much in the 3.8 with whine.

Raj, both Steve and I are very interested about getting into coding. Do you know if there is a cheat sheet that shows the various modules and where some less intuitive things may be located, or should I go sit in the car with the Vagcom for a couple of hours and look through the modules as you did in the picture?

I am interested in adding the power folding mirrors (for no good reason), front/rear parking sensors, maybe lane assist. However I bought the car with 95K on the odometer and have grand ideas of trading it in next year to move up into a 2012 or higher with HUD. I miss HUD badly, Steve taunts me by having it when I don't.

Thanks both

Last edited by BillBoost37; 06-05-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Found a bunch of the codes etc.

Ross Tech's Wiki on it.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...S6/allroad_(4F)

Also found in Google that many of the other vehicle codes will work if you happen across them. However do this at your own discretion is strongly mentioned all over the place.

Please let me know if this is not allowed. I do not remember anything about not linking other forums if cool stuff is found
VCDS & Hidden menu: The complete list

I'm reading and reading. Back in a jiff
Old 06-05-2015, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Steve,

I am interested in adding the power folding mirrors (for no good reason), front/rear parking sensors, maybe lane assist. However I bought the car with 95K on the odometer and have grand ideas of trading it in next year to move up into a 2012 or higher with HUD. I miss HUD badly, Steve taunts me by having it when I don't.

Thanks both
Bill, Kinda disheartened with the HUD. No stereo, no turn signals, No low gas indicator in Hud. HUD is anemic compared to what we're used to.
However, Hud does have the driving directional arrows from Navigation. So eh, personal preference. But yes I must admit HUD and V6 supercharged was primary reason I settled on the Audi.

Now, before anybody cries Blasphemy!, I love the Audi, just stating that I miss the other more plentiful features of my previous HUD car. Nobody Panic.

Steve,

My wheel is a 4 spoke, heated, with paddle shifters. FWIW I never touch them, they do work, but it's over rated to me. If I want performance I'll use Sport mode or click the switch at 100% throttle to put me into Sport mode. I liked WOT too much in the 3.8 with whine.
Thanks both
Yeah I hear that frequently that few use the paddles or manually shift at all. Best performance is left for the ECM to shift the car for us. BUT, every time I see a movie with a sports car and a high speed paddle shifting scene, i'm left drooling. I know I won't really use them, but just to have them is a dream I'd like to achieve even if it's just for nostalgic value.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 06-05-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Found out today I do not have headlight washers. I'm bummed.

Steve, my HUD's were 97 Bonneville and Regal. You say, Bill.. uh Regal never had a hud. I yanked a 97-03 GP and dropped it in. Since the car didn't originally come with it.. no radio. Basically speed, turn signals and low fuel.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Found out today I do not have headlight washers. I'm bummed.

Steve, my HUD's were 97 Bonneville and Regal. You say, Bill.. uh Regal never had a hud. I yanked a 97-03 GP and dropped it in. Since the car didn't originally come with it.. no radio. Basically speed, turn signals and low fuel.
Wow Nice job Bill. I was not so lucky with my HUD swap.
Procurred a cadillac sts night vision camera and matching HUD that would project night vision onto windshield. After many attempts by me and others, I think the night vision camera is fried. My attempt to swap the HUD to a night vision HUD didn't go to plan.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Prepping to do the brakes.
-Ordered diamond slotted premium rotors and ceramic pads from R1 Concepts.
These but in the correct size with pads Brake Rotors 2 Front 2 Rearpremier Series High Carbon Diamond Slot Disc R67 | eBay

-Motive Black Label European Power Bleeder (Arrived!) (It's time to flush the lines)
Black Label European Brake Bleeder

Will be picking up some black caliper paint to keep them hiding behind the wheels.

-Ordered a bunch of parts from McMaster Carr to make Service Lock Carrier pins.
Black Label European Brake Bleeder
Old 06-11-2015, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Presents arrived.

The brakes arrived (another thread)
The lug stud pilot pins arrived (where do I put this in the toolbox? Maybe I need a bigger toolbox! )
The stuff to make carrier lock position pins came in and I made up one set so far.

Name:  IMG_20150610_180105435_zpsrkv1dzrc.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  122.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20150610_183029620_zps1ktnuccj.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  84.5 KB

I'm excited about getting the new pulley now (SC idler) and pulling the car back apart.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, apparently I left off a while ago on updates.

Put on a new SC idler and that has not fixed the sound I have. Next will be the remainder of the pullies and the tensioners and belts as well. May as well do it all when in Service Position. Took 1.5 hours from start to finish. Much better than the first time out.

Made two sets of Service Position bolts. They work like intended.

Did the brake caliper and pad swap. Painted the calipers and bled the rears. Front bleeders were clogged. Picked up the new bleeders and need to get back under the car.

Hit 100K miles, did my first Audi oil change. Super simple, although I am unsure where the thinner of the two o-rings goes.

Did not know when the plugs were done last, swapped those out with factory replacements from NGK off ebay.

Polished the car up and cleaned the wheels off the car, polished up the exhaust tips. Bought more Wolfgang stuff and some Griot leather conditioner/cleaner for the seats. Got a wheel woolie to keep the rims cleaner inside between tire rotations. It's looking about as best as it can.

Had a new windshield installed to replace the cracked and very road rashed one.

Pulled out the Vagcom and did a little coding with some help/pep talk from a local Corey. Now the instrument cluster needles sweep on start up and the windows will go up and down with the remote. Took a bit of learning and a few different tweaks to get the windows. Mods should be easy going forward with the learning in getting this stuff working.

To Do List:
Wheel balancing
Front brake bleeders
All pullies, tensioners and belts

Last edited by BillBoost37; 08-03-2015 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made two sets of Service Position bolts. They work like intended.
you offering the other set? im interested......

Hit 100K miles, did my first Audi oil change. Super simple, although I am unsure where the thinner of the two o-rings goes.
it goes on the part of the oil filter cylinder that stays attached to the block. it's reeeeally tiny and hard to see, but feel just under the lip (on the outside). comes right off.

Quick Reply: New C6.5 guy - Feed me tons of info