A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New C6.5 guy - Feed me tons of info

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll make up a set.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been a while... tossing a little update in here.

Had a vibration in the floor. Went through the usual tire balancing etc. Thought maybe it was driveshaft related. I've been an american car guy nearly all my life. Sure I've worked on other stuff, it wasn't Audi though. Solid learning curve for me diagnosing this car. The vibration was a front CV axle. The way to diagnose, if you have any play whatsoever it's a bad axle and likely your vibration. The axle had under 2mm of play. And no remaining grease in it at all that I could find.

The driveshaft contains a floppy carrier bearing and three CV joints. The reason I felt it was the DS aka propeller shaft was there is play in it. Don't be fooled. Unless the rubber is shot around the bearing or the bearing itself sounds horrible, likely your driveshaft is not the issue.

Next up was a creaking. It occurred when the car was coming to a rest upon a stop or starting to move from that stop. As I was trying to determine the cause, it was progressing a little that I noticed I could induce it by swerving back and forth. A friend who was an Audi tech for years suggested end links. I pulled the endlinks off and the creak remained. I reached under and found the rear subframe bolts to seem a little loose. I torqued them to the proper spec and the car is magically quiet again.

Side note..if you put one of your endlinks on with the hoop in the front instead of the back, your car will pull to the opposing side as long as the other endlink is correctly installed to the back of the control arm.

I learn by having issues and .... it's been a rough month.