A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New C6 Avant owner (longtime B5 owner) with a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New C6 Avant owner (longtime B5 owner) with a few ?'s

Hi
Old 02-26-2017, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few questions about this car

Hello C6ers,

I just bought this car last month, my first EVER automatic!! It's really clean cosmetically, and has just over 100k...

I've owned two B5 Avants- a 5spd A4 and a 6spd S4, both silver, both awesome. I sold the S4 in 2015, but I still have the A4 1.8...now with over 252k- on its original clutch!! What a car.

So far, I like the C6 a lot, but I have a few issues with it, and hope to find some advice here...this site came well recommended by QW, where I usually go for b5 advice. I've done some fairly involved services on my own, including cam chain tensioner and full timing belt services...I'm no professional, but I am willing to try services if I can...

first, the car is leaking oil (even when turned off) from towards the rear of the motor...is there something that is typical for this 3.2 motor? I did the VC gaskets (and plugs, coils, etc) already, so that's not the cause...it leaks even when the car is off, so I assume it's something lower on the motor...

second, is the snub mount replaceable without removing the bumper? My stock one was worn to nothing, so I bought a Poly one from ECS...it looks like the post on the motor side and the housing on the bumper side are both removable...
Old 02-27-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by B5A4Dave
Hello C6ers,

I just bought this car last month, my first EVER automatic!! It's really clean cosmetically, and has just over 100k...

I've owned two B5 Avants- a 5spd A4 and a 6spd S4, both silver, both awesome. I sold the S4 in 2015, but I still have the A4 1.8...now with over 252k- on its original clutch!! What a car.

So far, I like the C6 a lot, but I have a few issues with it, and hope to find some advice here...this site came well recommended by QW, where I usually go for b5 advice. I've done some fairly involved services on my own, including cam chain tensioner and full timing belt services...I'm no professional, but I am willing to try services if I can...

first, the car is leaking oil (even when turned off) from towards the rear of the motor...is there something that is typical for this 3.2 motor? I did the VC gaskets (and plugs, coils, etc) already, so that's not the cause...it leaks even when the car is off, so I assume it's something lower on the motor...

second, is the snub mount replaceable without removing the bumper? My stock one was worn to nothing, so I bought a Poly one from ECS...it looks like the post on the motor side and the housing on the bumper side are both removable...
Welcome B5Dave...I've seen your handle on QW.

As for oil leak, I'd start with cleaning the engine bay REALLY well and then putting in some dye and doing a UV test to confirm where it's coming from: oil filter housing, oil pan, ???

The sub mount is pretty easy to do on the 3.2 and here's a great DIY:

All you need is a short hex 8mm socket, a short 13mm socket and the snub mount: part# 8E0199339
Place a square piece of would onto a pump jack, preferably a 2x6, and jack up the engine right underneath the oil pan.
Get the engine up enough so that the mount is right in the middle of the other piece.
Undo all the bolts, removing portion mounted to the engine first, then loosen the core support portion.
Remove old one mount, slip on new one. Then re-mount the core support portion so that it can slide up and down. Re-mount engine portion.
Tighten everything back(not too much on the engine side as it IS aluminum that it's mounted to) and wala! 30 minutes max, even if it's you first time.