A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New to Me 05 A6.....Intro and progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, Fastbird I am not surprised. I knew you were going to keep it! One of those told you so moments! Hahaha
Old 11-24-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raj99
The reason you don't have the street names appearing is probably because your MMI s/w is antiquated.

The latest ver is 46.1.0 and for the C6 you need to do the following to determine the correct version of s/w:

1. Press ‘CAR’…then release
2. Press ‘SETUP’….then release
3. Press the ‘top right button’, next to the joystick and click on ‘Settings’
4. Move the joystick to ‘Version’ and click it
5. It will display the correct ‘Version’ for all your systems
Yeah, I kind of want to update, but am afraid of hosing the system. Still doing research. Don't want to lose the battery meter either. Use that a lot because I think the battery is suspect.

Originally Posted by roylok
Well, Fastbird I am not surprised. I knew you were going to keep it! One of those told you so moments! Hahaha
Can't help it, I adore the car. All this time I've been driving pos beaters......I've been missing out.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Update is fairly easy, don't worry. I didn't run the car when I did it, didn't even connect a trickle charger, started with a fully charged battery though. I know it was reckless, but it was one of those days. I would recommend a trickle charger since the weather is colder now.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm......500 mile road trip yesterday and all was fine. Started it to go somewhere after a couple of hours of being at out destination.....airbag light. Only thing that changed from my normal daily routine was both of my kids car seats were in the back and were unbuckled and buckled in a couple of time. Havea feeling its the rear seat igniter issue. Time for a VCDS methinks.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Crappy update here. Just left work after a 12 hour shift, car was cold soaked in approx 32ish degree weather. Started funky, and IMMEDIATELY I heard the tell tale diesel sound. And it didn't clear up through out the 20ish minute drive home. I'm NOT happy at all right now. Just over 2k miles and a tensioner failed already? That's pretty poor ROI on a brand new Audi part. Definitely sounds like the drivers side too of course, considering it's the more difficult to get at.

And before anyone says it, my motor is not sludge embalmed. It's actually fairly clean for the miles that are on it.

Hoping the parts have a warranty (expecting actually). And if the valves get bent in the process prior to fixing........Audi may hear from me about that too. Two thousand miles to failure is ridiculous.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang---you and cnyman are really suffering.
If you don't mind my asking--what oil are you running (not that 0C is cold, just wondering).....
I sense you are not ready to throw in the towel yet--please keep us posted with the triage and fix.
Also, did you get the VCDS? Might check the measuring blocks for the cam positions.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Crappy update here. Just left work after a 12 hour shift, car was cold soaked in approx 32ish degree weather. Started funky, and IMMEDIATELY I heard the tell tale diesel sound. And it didn't clear up through out the 20ish minute drive home. I'm NOT happy at all right now. Just over 2k miles and a tensioner failed already? That's pretty poor ROI on a brand new Audi part. Definitely sounds like the drivers side too of course, considering it's the more difficult to get at.

And before anyone says it, my motor is not sludge embalmed. It's actually fairly clean for the miles that are on it.

Hoping the parts have a warranty (expecting actually). And if the valves get bent in the process prior to fixing........Audi may hear from me about that too. Two thousand miles to failure is ridiculous.
Sorry to hear about the failure. I had a worse ROI, I had the dealer replace the chain, tensioners and guides at 138k miles and traded the car in for scrap at 141k miles. It was a tough lesson to learn because I really enjoyed my C6. While these cars are beautiful and a pleasure to drive, they seem to have a design life of 9 years/130k miles. I will be trading in my C7 at the 8 year mark!

Hang in there and good luck.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Sorry to hear about the failure. I had a worse ROI, I had the dealer replace the chain, tensioners and guides at 138k miles and traded the car in for scrap at 141k miles. It was a tough lesson to learn because I really enjoyed my C6. While these cars are beautiful and a pleasure to drive, they seem to have a design life of 9 years/130k miles. I will be trading in my C7 at the 8 year mark!

Hang in there and good luck.
Wow, how'd that end up happening?

Running Mobil 1 0W40 as specified to meet the Audi/VW specs. It's even slightly overfull (not by much).

Not a fluke thing. Just ran the car again and same clatter. DEFINITELY the drivers side tensioner.

Contacting my local Audi dealership tomorrow about a part warranty (from the intel I gathered, Audi parts are warrantied for 1 year or 12k miles).

The positive side of things is that having done this, it should literally be a one day fix once I have a part in hand. As long as it doesn't go and bang valves when I move it into the garage. But the other crappy facts........My garage currently has this in one side of it (although it's not in this state, it's torn down getting "upgrades"):

Given it's torn down state, it's not moving at all.

And the other side has this:

And I absolutely LOATHE the thought of it sitting outside in the winter weather.

What a conundrum, lol. Oh well, more to come. I'm not throwing in the towel yet. Worst case I throw a used (and rehabbed by me) or reman motor at it. Best case, I'm out a couple of easy days of work and my time.

Oh, no VCDS yet. Have some other things to clear up before dropping the money on it.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Wow, how'd that end up happening?

Running Mobil 1 0W40 as specified to meet the Audi/VW specs. It's even slightly overfull (not by much).

Not a fluke thing. Just ran the car again and same clatter. DEFINITELY the drivers side tensioner.

Contacting my local Audi dealership tomorrow about a part warranty (from the intel I gathered, Audi parts are warrantied for 1 year or 12k miles).

The positive side of things is that having done this, it should literally be a one day fix once I have a part in hand. As long as it doesn't go and bang valves when I move it into the garage. But the other crappy facts........My garage currently has this in one side of it (although it's not in this state, it's torn down getting "upgrades"):

Given it's torn down state, it's not moving at all.

And the other side has this:

And I absolutely LOATHE the thought of it sitting outside in the winter weather.

What a conundrum, lol. Oh well, more to come. I'm not throwing in the towel yet. Worst case I throw a used (and rehabbed by me) or reman motor at it. Best case, I'm out a couple of easy days of work and my time.

Oh, no VCDS yet. Have some other things to clear up before dropping the money on it.
0w for life!
I've run M1 0w40 in everything i own and i think it is a very good product. My VH45DEs like a 30 better on the hot end. You *may* consider the GC 0w30 (now made in Belgium) product. it meets vw502-- not endorsed, but says exceeds on the label.
nissan OEM parts are 12/12k, dunno but i would think audi are at least 3/3k

Oh, and your Celica is sweet. always liked that particular chassis. And the WS-6 (at least i think that's what it is from pic)--well I'm not a GM fan, but still I admire anyone who preserves old heavy metal.
hope its just the tensioner...
Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, that was interesting. Found out for a fact that Audi does carry a 12 month 12000 mile warranty on parts.

Spoke with my local dealership, and the parts guy was rather rude. We were discussing credentials and what not (I'm ASE Certified in Engine Repair and Engine Performance hence me doing my own work) and at the point where we got to me telling him that he says to me "Sir I'm going to stop talking to you because you're obviously getting mad at me and we can't continue like this." Mind you I NEVER got aggressive, raised my voice, anything of the like. I simply stated that if Audi pushed back about improper installation that I could more than prove competency. Anyway......

Audi USA's warranty terminology is vague to say the least. Typical disclaimers about competitive use, improper installation, improperly used components, etc. But never mentions anything about IF the defective part fails and takes out other parts what happens. I bring this up because at this point I MUST start the car one last time to put it in the garage to get the work done. And I'm terribly worried about it eating valves when I do that considering it's going to be sitting for at least another week or so before I get to it.

But hey, at least I can just pop out the old tensioner, take it in, and walk out with the new one.

Quick Reply: New to Me 05 A6.....Intro and progress