A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New Ride! What should I do first?

Old 02-19-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Ride! What should I do first?

Hey folks! I'm Audi admirer finally got me one after pouncing on an awesome deal.

Heres the skinny: 2007 A6 Avant 3.2L AT 115k miles, tons of maintenance records. Rides smooth, shifts smooth, has a few quirks - could also use some input on what maintenance and other things I should look out for on my new ride. First order of business was an oil change with Mobil 1 0w40 with OE filter.

When cold in the morning, I'm getting what sounds like a loud creak coming from the passenger front side when turning the wheel, Sound goes away when driven a bit. Possibly one of the control arm bushings or balljoint? Inspected the bushings and they all look fine. Performed the tried and tested tire up/down, side/side and am not getting any play.

Small oil seep (documented in the records) looks to be coming from the passenger valve cover. Easy enough from what I've been reading.

Also read about the chain tensioner issue with the 3.2 - the car sounds fine but I have nothing to compare it to. Sounds like I'm getting normal lifter sounds, but also getting a very slight tinging sound. Plan to invest in a vagcom cable or an ODBeleven Pro for checking tensioner wear. anyone have experience with the latter? Will I be able to check for chain slack with it or is vagcom the way to go?

Assuming that the ATF and diff fluids haven't been changed, is this something I can wait on since I'm not having any issues or should I get on that ASAP?

Anything else to look out for?

cheers!
Slavo
Old 02-19-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 322 Likes on 271 Posts

That's a lot of questions lol. I can say two things for now. First OBDEleven, I placed an order, I waited almost two months. When I asked why it was taking so long I received a full refund with no explanations. Weird...

One thing to definitely check would be your engine snub mount. I recently found out that something like that existed when I got my car checked because there was something wrong when I launched the car hard. I had one locally made and put on the car and WOW!!! The engine response and shifting were awesome. I'm thinking about ordering a performance mount from ECS. It's just a piece of rubber but man, what difference that makes!!!

On my third Guinness right now and a bit tipsy. Will give more info later
Old 02-19-2017, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thx kelisko! Also never heard of a snub mount. Big fan of 034 motorsports and they have a performance one for 30$.

https://www.europaparts.com/034motorsport-snub-mount-b6-b7-c5-c6.html
Old 02-19-2017, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kelisko
That's a lot of questions lol. I can say two things for now. First OBDEleven, I placed an order, I waited almost two months. When I asked why it was taking so long I received a full refund with no explanations. Weird...

One thing to definitely check would be your engine snub mount. I recently found out that something like that existed when I got my car checked because there was something wrong when I launched the car hard. I had one locally made and put on the car and WOW!!! The engine response and shifting were awesome. I'm thinking about ordering a performance mount from ECS. It's just a piece of rubber but man, what difference that makes!!!

I agree with the snub mount replacement, when I purchased my A6 a few months ago the snub mount that was on the car at the time was cracked and really worn out. I replaced it with the same OEM snub mount and let me tell you... it made a huge different in drive quality. I'm also considering switching over to the ECS Tuning snub mount this spring.

As far as things that should be done first.. I would recommend making sure all fluids and mechanical work are done first before spending money on any mods. If gaskets and seals were never replaced, I would aim for those first as well.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Creaking sound

The creaking sound is most likely the front sway bar end links. The rubber bushing go bad and need to be replaced. it's an easy DIY and there are plent of threads on here about it and probably a youtube video. Parts are also cheap.

Originally Posted by Slav0
Hey folks! I'm Audi admirer finally got me one after pouncing on an awesome deal.

Heres the skinny: 2007 A6 Avant 3.2L AT 115k miles, tons of maintenance records. Rides smooth, shifts smooth, has a few quirks - could also use some input on what maintenance and other things I should look out for on my new ride. First order of business was an oil change with Mobil 1 0w40 with OE filter.

When cold in the morning, I'm getting what sounds like a loud creak coming from the passenger front side when turning the wheel, Sound goes away when driven a bit. Possibly one of the control arm bushings or balljoint? Inspected the bushings and they all look fine. Performed the tried and tested tire up/down, side/side and am not getting any play.

Small oil seep (documented in the records) looks to be coming from the passenger valve cover. Easy enough from what I've been reading.

Also read about the chain tensioner issue with the 3.2 - the car sounds fine but I have nothing to compare it to. Sounds like I'm getting normal lifter sounds, but also getting a very slight tinging sound. Plan to invest in a vagcom cable or an ODBeleven Pro for checking tensioner wear. anyone have experience with the latter? Will I be able to check for chain slack with it or is vagcom the way to go?

Assuming that the ATF and diff fluids haven't been changed, is this something I can wait on since I'm not having any issues or should I get on that ASAP?

cheers!
Slavo
Old 02-20-2017, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

wtf!..where did you try to buy the obdeleven from? :O dont give up! its worth the money!.. pm me if you cant find anywhere else to buy it from...we figure sometheing else.. =)
cheers/H

Originally Posted by kelisko

Old 02-20-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

get a vcds cable!.. (genuine prefered) been using vag com/vcds since got my first audi back in -99
cheers/H
Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thx LMSI - will definitely have a look at the front sway bar ends. Would make sense if that's what's causing the creak.

I've been leaning towards VCDS cable as well, been reading lots of good things about it. Mainly want to use it to check for timing chain issues and resetting service notice.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Slav0

cheers!
Slavo
Slavo,

Welcome to the forum. The valve covers are easy enough and while your at it, make sure to change the air filter and spark plugs as well, since you'll be there already. Definitely invest in a VCDS if you can...I use mine quite often.

ATF and dif fluid should be changed every ~70K miles, so yes you should change it and here's some great guides:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...fluid-2816950/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-oils-2843310/

Enjoy the new ride
Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thx Raj - good call on the air filter and plugs. Anyone suggestion on plug brands/types?

The next order of business will definitely be dif and atf fluids. Looks like power steering was done not long ago. Not so sure about when or if the brake fluid was bled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Ride! What should I do first?