A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New TPMS Senors

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TPMS Senors

I have to replace two sensors. Can someone explain how the sensors work? I know how to recalibrate after filling the tires, but does that work when you introduce a new sensor into the system. If it doesn't matter, and all sensors are treated the same, does that mean if my spare is low, my pressure sensor light will go off? And if this is not the case, do I need to take it to the Audi dealer to add it to the system so the system recognizes it? If the latter, will any respectable tire shop be able to do the "registration?"
Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by derohanes
I have to replace two sensors. Can someone explain how the sensors work? I know how to recalibrate after filling the tires, but does that work when you introduce a new sensor into the system. If it doesn't matter, and all sensors are treated the same, does that mean if my spare is low, my pressure sensor light will go off? And if this is not the case, do I need to take it to the Audi dealer to add it to the system so the system recognizes it? If the latter, will any respectable tire shop be able to do the "registration?"
Any decent tire place will be able to replace the sensors for you relatively easy. In fact, my local dealer does such replacement without taking the tire off the wheel!

Once the TPMS is replaced all you need to do is access the MMI in Car and you will see "Tire Pressure Monitoring", at that point you can click "Store current tire pressure' and that will be it.

As for the spare, your car only monitors 4 TPMS, therefore if the spare is bad, it will not trigger the alarm for air pressure.

BTW, I'd recommend you use the SEARCH function in the forum, since this is a pretty well researched topic.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if they are new sensors. you will need to have a tool to link it to the car.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

All the sensors are treated equal, that it will trigger a pressure sensor alarm if any 1 of <b>4</b> is bad.

The spare does not matter WHEN it's in the spare tire compartment (in the trunk/boot). It DOES matter when the wheel is actually on the axles.

Therefore, the wheels you have on the axles of the car must have a 'good' TPMS for there not be an alarm raised (i.e. dead battery in TPMS).

Also, after you reset the TPMS it will go off for awhile, but if you have a bad sensor, the light will come back.

The C6 has what is called a Low Line system and here's a detailed description of how the TPMS system works on your car:

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/TPMS/TPMS%20Overview.pdf
Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
if they are new sensors. you will need to have a tool to link it to the car.
no you will NOT need to have a 'tool'. I've changed out the TPMS sensors a number of times and have never needed a tool to sync the sensor with the MMI. All you need to make sure is that you have the correct sensors.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts
Default In the MMI there is an option to change tires

Originally Posted by raj99
no you will NOT need to have a 'tool'. I've changed out the TPMS sensors a number of times and have never needed a tool to sync the sensor with the MMI. All you need to make sure is that you have the correct sensors.
Use the change tires option if you install new TMPS, the car will then find the new TMPS modules and read all of the pressures.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the new sensors, you need to select the "Change tires" in MMI for the best results.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those here that have replaced TPMS sensors, have any of you done so with aftermarket 433 Mhz sensors? I need to replace tires on my wife's '08 Q7 (same system as A6 I believe) and the sensors are the originals, so I'm considering replacements. They aren't malfunctioning, but my guess is the TPMS batteries won't last much longer.

Because the OEM Huf sensors are ~2.5X the cost of many of the aftermarket equivalents, I'd like to explore these more affordable options. My assumption from searching these forums and skimming TPMS threads is that the MMI reset to a wheel changeover is just pinging these sensors and doesn't know if they are OEM or aftermarket as long as it can communicate with them.

Anyone have any experiences they can share with non-OEM TPMS sensors?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VAG-Fan1
For those here that have replaced TPMS sensors, have any of you done so with aftermarket 433 Mhz sensors? I need to replace tires on my wife's '08 Q7 (same system as A6 I believe) and the sensors are the originals, so I'm considering replacements. They aren't malfunctioning, but my guess is the TPMS batteries won't last much longer.

Because the OEM Huf sensors are ~2.5X the cost of many of the aftermarket equivalents, I'd like to explore these more affordable options. My assumption from searching these forums and skimming TPMS threads is that the MMI reset to a wheel changeover is just pinging these sensors and doesn't know if they are OEM or aftermarket as long as it can communicate with them.

Anyone have any experiences they can share with non-OEM TPMS sensors?
I've had my aftermarket tmps for over 2 years and no problems, whatsoever:

Audi A6 2004-2011

read through this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...nsors-2844587/
Old 09-20-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raj99
I've had my aftermarket tmps for over 2 years and no problems, whatsoever:

Audi A6 2004-2011

read through this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...nsors-2844587/
Thanks for the confirmation on that and the link. I've also found units from Amazon (VDO and ITM) for around $40/wheel.