A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

noise after replacing serpentine belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFrancis, if you do not mind me asking, did the noise you heard almost sound like a low speed boat motor? I have a 2006 A6 4.2 and recently started hearing this noise in the last 5-7 days. It seems strange though because as the car is parked in my garage, I can somewhat hear a buzzing sound, but nothing really kicks in until I start accelerating. Once I hit 15-20mph I can hear it, and it gradually become louder as I go faster.

I just had a tire rotation and alignment, and am starting to wonder if that had anything to do with it. It almost sounds like a fan is grinding on something; but I do not have any other issues as you stated as well.

I just do not want to make anything worse by letting it go on; I go to my Uncle's mechanic in Toledo (I live in Akron, about 2.5 hours) because he gives me unreal price breaks, but was just there last Friday and did not want to have to run back up so soon.

Any thought?

And thank you in advance for any help.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a wheel bearing issue. Jack your car and hold the wheel at the 6 and 12 oclock position and see if there is any play. If there is, you know its your bearing.

Originally Posted by rstrata57
AFrancis, if you do not mind me asking, did the noise you heard almost sound like a low speed boat motor? I have a 2006 A6 4.2 and recently started hearing this noise in the last 5-7 days. It seems strange though because as the car is parked in my garage, I can somewhat hear a buzzing sound, but nothing really kicks in until I start accelerating. Once I hit 15-20mph I can hear it, and it gradually become louder as I go faster.

I just had a tire rotation and alignment, and am starting to wonder if that had anything to do with it. It almost sounds like a fan is grinding on something; but I do not have any other issues as you stated as well.

I just do not want to make anything worse by letting it go on; I go to my Uncle's mechanic in Toledo (I live in Akron, about 2.5 hours) because he gives me unreal price breaks, but was just there last Friday and did not want to have to run back up so soon.

Any thought?

And thank you in advance for any help.