A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

oil consumption 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption in 2009 A6 3.0T

Originally Posted by nielsn
I just noticed this thread and thought I should let anyone with oil burning issues know how I handled mine. I have 2009 3.Ot and it started using quite a bit of oil at around 80K. by the time I decided to do something about it at 90K.. I was up to 2 qts per 2000 miles. NOT GOOD. so the dealer has a TSB on it and a service they do to fix at a cost of about $2K. I hesitated doing this at first because I was hoping Audi would stand behind their product and do a recall like with the 2.0t, but no such luck. So, after deciding whether to sell the POS or keep, I decided to keep thus avoiding a car payment. the car is paid off so I only pay maintenance and gas. what they do is basically replace a breather valve with one from a new model Q5, replace some gaskets, and reprogram ECU for some reason and call it good. 12 hours labor and some $500 in parts later and you've got it fixed. I've paid my local dealer a lot of money over the years and have a good relationship with the service manager so I was able to get them to do the work for $1350. but it has fixed the problem. I went back 1000 miles after the work was completed for a consumption test and it had no measureable oil loss. So, in my case, their suggested fix does work, but it will cost you, if ANYONE has any questions about the procedure or parts used, PM me.

I'm glad I came across this I have been having this problem for the past few months and its been getting progressively worse. I have a 2009 A6 with the 3.0L and picked it up as a CPO 3 yrs ago with ~43K miles. Never had a problem with oil consumption until ~95K mi. I have 111000 now. (BTW, I still have my 2004 with 150K mi and the 4.2L and its still doesn't consume oil. It started taking a qt at 2200 mi for the first 2 oil changes and now its taking a qt every 500 mi. Audi wanted to do an oil consumption test for $500. I told them I already know its consume oil, what was the problem. They said they would diagnose after that, so I brought it somewhere else. Another mechanic who worked on my car before checked the pcv box and said it was clean I needed rings. I am interested in the work your dealer performed, specifically the gaskets and ECU reprogramming that was done after replacing the pcv box with what sounds like a redesigned retrofit. Can you provide more details? Do you or anyone know if there is an easier way to tell if its the pcv or the rings (telltale signs at the exhaust). Mine seem dirty, but it is an exhaust. Also I noticed when I gun the engine that there is smoke, but it has been cold. And out of the right exhaust there was a clear spot and puff sound, as if one cylinder is missing. Related issue or another problem. Apologies for the lengthy post.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm thinking you don't need an oil consumption test like you stated. what I did with mine was because rings weren't suspected. As far as what they do its the updated breather valve, the gaskets that go around the supercharger inlets and a few other gaskets for the most part. the reason they reprogram the ECU is to take advantage of the new valve the engine needs to run differently. I realize thats not very technical, but it has something to do with the way the car uses the oil and breather valves. all this stuff is controlled by computer. as you know everything on the car is computer controlled. I "might" still have my original quote with all the parts listed as well as labor quote somewhere. Ultimately I fixed the real problem by trading the car for a Mercedes in September. Yes, I've turned to the dark side of the force, but its a new 2016 C-class so won't have to worry about repair issues for at least until warranty goes. Also, my A6 at the time I traded it was at 97,000 miles and once they go to 100K you get a HUGE hit on depreciation and lose thousands on value. With all the mods I did to the car I got what I considered a very gracious trade value and got USAA pricing on the Benz so Audis are history. But back to topic, I can tell you that the oil consumption repair fixed mine, but if its rings, get rid of it! VERY expensive! Since I'm not a mechanic I can't tell you how to know if its rings, but loss of power, black smoke, missing all sound bad. mine never had any of those problems just used oil. ! hope this helps. Niels
Old 12-21-2015, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nielsn
I'm thinking you don't need an oil consumption test like you stated. what I did with mine was because rings weren't suspected. As far as what they do its the updated breather valve, the gaskets that go around the supercharger inlets and a few other gaskets for the most part. the reason they reprogram the ECU is to take advantage of the new valve the engine needs to run differently. I realize thats not very technical, but it has something to do with the way the car uses the oil and breather valves. all this stuff is controlled by computer. as you know everything on the car is computer controlled. I "might" still have my original quote with all the parts listed as well as labor quote somewhere. Ultimately I fixed the real problem by trading the car for a Mercedes in September. Yes, I've turned to the dark side of the force, but its a new 2016 C-class so won't have to worry about repair issues for at least until warranty goes. Also, my A6 at the time I traded it was at 97,000 miles and once they go to 100K you get a HUGE hit on depreciation and lose thousands on value. With all the mods I did to the car I got what I considered a very gracious trade value and got USAA pricing on the Benz so Audis are history. But back to topic, I can tell you that the oil consumption repair fixed mine, but if its rings, get rid of it! VERY expensive! Since I'm not a mechanic I can't tell you how to know if its rings, but loss of power, black smoke, missing all sound bad. mine never had any of those problems just used oil. ! hope this helps. Niels
Thanks, your solution was one I have considered as well, except for it being a MB. I love everything else about the car. Just disappointed this engine isn't as strong as the 4.2 and hasn't lasted as long. I'll take it into my mechanic to get a positive diagnosis and see what it'll cost. I may start looking around to see what's out there in the meanwhile.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello, I have a 2009 A6 3.0 with 83000 miles on it. It started burning oil somewhere between 50-60,000 miles and seems to be getting worse. Just had a oil consumption test done, and it burnt a quart of oil in 1900 miles. Dealer recommended the breather valve fix for $1350. Still thinking whether I should shell out the money for something Audi should either help with or eat the bill themselves. Am I doing any harm to the engine if I delay getting this thing fixed until I find out if Audi will help.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mxjones
Hello, I have a 2009 A6 3.0 with 83000 miles on it. It started burning oil somewhere between 50-60,000 miles and seems to be getting worse. Just had a oil consumption test done, and it burnt a quart of oil in 1900 miles. Dealer recommended the breather valve fix for $1350. Still thinking whether I should shell out the money for something Audi should either help with or eat the bill themselves. Am I doing any harm to the engine if I delay getting this thing fixed until I find out if Audi will help.
They told me the same thing, but I opted to not get the oil consumption test as I already knew I was going through oil. As best I can tell you from my experience with them, they told me there was an Audi paid fix for the 2.0T engine but not the 3.0T, so they wouldn't do anything for me. They also said that going through a qt of oil anywhere between 800-2000 mi was within spec so there was nothing to fix. I was over 100k mi so they said I would be outside the ext warrantee anyway.

Sorry for the long reply but there is a lot to go over. I had an outside mechanic who checked my pcv box and said it was clean, so performing that service wouldn't fix the problem. I doubt your dealer guaranteed it would also, so I would be hesitant to have it done if it isn't going to fix the problem for sure. I spoke with 2 other mechanics who indicated it may be blow by through the rings. One gave me a more in depth answer that made sense. Now others who are a bit more savvy than me may correct the technical details of my explanation, but essentially it goes like this.

Check your back bumper to see if there is a lot of oily dirt which indicates blow by. I do not see any significant dirt on the bumper, but my exhausts are much dirtier than my 2004 with 155k mi. He recommended that I switch from synthetic to conventional oil and use a BG flush at the next oil change. Also go to a higher viscosity oil as it will help. He said he performed this on other Audis, used Shell Rotella and he went from 800 mi to ~1500 between qts. He explained that in order to improve gas mileage Audi engineered the least possible tolerance between the rings and cylinder walls to minimize friction and still be functional. As the engine wears that tight tolerance will create that spacing that allows for blow by, hence our problem. This made sense as I bought a couple of cans of the stuff they sell that's supposed to help seal rings, I know but I was desperate and tired of adding a qt every fill up. It did seem to work. It went from 380 mi for a qt to 700. I am midway through my second measurement and cannot tell you whether it is working consistently. I will bring it in to him for the oil flush and change after this. For ~$65 its worth it. I'll ask him to check my valve as well to get a second opinion. I know earlier in the thread someone spoke of a s/w update for the computer, so I'll look into that as well. As to your question of whether this will damage the engine, I don't think so as the computer will adjust for this. I am curious as to whether this will cause me to fail emission tests. At that time it may need a ring job to resolve the problem, I don't know for sure. I will ask my mechanic whether this is a possibility. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ADT927, Thanks for the info, it doesn't sound good either way. I haven't noticed my exhaust tips being any dirtier than normal and am not noticing any dirt film on the bumper above the exhaust, so I'm not sure which is causing the problem. I am going to talk to some other Audi service techs around my area to see what I can find out. I'll let you know when I do. Aloha.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mxjones
Are you on the long life service (change oil/filter every 19k) or fixed,every 10k ?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I change my oil every 6k to 7k miles using synthetic oil.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody have a TSB # I can reference or a part # for the updated breather? I want to install the breather when I do a 100k service on the car this spring, that way all I'll need to pay the dealer is the fee to reprogram the ECU.

Thanks

EDIT: Looks like the NHSTA# for the TSB is 10051502. Still working on the exact part # for the new breather.

Last edited by B. Rock; 02-15-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update to changing from synthetic to conventional oil and going to a higher viscosity over several months and 3K miles. I have seen a large improvement in the interval between adding a quart. I go another ~400 miles before needing a quart and since I was adding one at around 550 miles it is significant. Being more vigilant to what's going on I've also re-looked at what's been happening at the tailpipe. With the change in weather I've been able to see if there is smoke coming out or its just due to the cold. Glad to say it doesn't look like I'm burning oil and there really isn't any oil debris on the back bumper. Also what I thought may have been a miss in a cylinder was just the way my son had been gunning the engine for me to take a better look.

I change the oil every 5K miles or so, but not sure if I wuill extend that out a bit as I've put in 7 qts of fresh oil by the time I hit 5k miles. I am at that mark now and will probably do it as I will make the complete conversion to conventional oil. So the real question is whether changing the PCV box and upgrading the software will do the trick. Does anyone whose performed this fix feel it was worth it? Has the problem gone away or are you still adding oil between changes and at what intervals? Thanks.

Quick Reply: oil consumption 3.0T