A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Oil Cooler Leak

Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Cooler Leak

Ok. About 2 months ago my 2005 4.2 was leaking oil. The culprit was from the oil cooler. My indyshop advised that I wouldn't need a whole new oil cooler and would just need to replace the 2 o-rings on the oil cooler.

After the work was done, I went to pick up the car and after letting it warm up for a few minutes my Low Coolant light came on. I then checked the coolant reservoir and there was nothing in there... I told my buddy who works at the shop and he thought that there might be air bubbles in the line and refilled the reservoir. I drove it home after that and the next day I realized the coolant reservoir was almost empty again. So I added more coolant and topped it off. Then drove about 30 mins away and back... then the day after that there was no coolant in the reservoir again. Topped it off, brought it back to the shop... they think I might need a new oil cooler.

Now, has anyone run into this problem? Will I need a whole new oil cooler?

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 03-25-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 147 Likes on 132 Posts

Do you see any coolant leaking?? Or sweet smelling exhaust?
Old 04-05-2017, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sallad
Do you see any coolant leaking?? Or sweet smelling exhaust?
I've actually found the culprit. It was the plastic tube like seal that goes around the pipe part# 077117411A

That OEM plastic piece is known by to crack and cause leaks. I'm replacing it with a metal aftermarket piece instead.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlifephantom
I've actually found the culprit. It was the plastic tube like seal that goes around the pipe part# 077117411A

That OEM plastic piece is known by to crack and cause leaks. I'm replacing it with a metal aftermarket piece instead.
So how did you end up fixing this and was it relatively easy or ??
Old 09-20-2017, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
So how did you end up fixing this and was it relatively easy or ??
I forgot to update this thread...

The manufacture of the oil cooler pipe had mentioned that the part would fit on my 05 4.2 A6. After taking the oil cooler apart and doing a detailed inspection... that part looked like it doesn't exist on my car, it should've been a plastic part. I ended up replacing one of the o rings/seals on the oil cooler feed for the 2nd time and it appears the leak has stopped. The first time a buddy of mine used a new seal he had laying around and there was still a leak, the 2nd time I used a Victor Reinz seal. I had my buddy do most of the work since he had a lift and was much easier to work. It's been about 5 months and no leak.

My only issue now that doesn't seem to relate to the oil cooler at all is a misfire on cylinder 1, 2, and 3 which started after I replaced both engine mounts. My guess is either carbon build up, clogged injector or fuel pump. Spark plugs were changed in February with NGK Platinums. The coilpacks were changed by the dealer about a year and a half ago but I ended up replacing them again 2 weeks ago and still had the same misfires. Also in the very back of my mind... worst case scenario... a broke chain guide or something related to the timing chain.

I plan on seafoaming the motor, vacuum line and fuel tank tomorrow morning... hoping the issue gets fixed. If not my next step would be replacing fuel filter again (also replaced in February) then followed by fuel pump if the problem still exists.

At the moment, check engine light flashes, car idle very rough, rpms stutter almost as if the motor wants to shut off on its own but still drives when there's gas. Been driving it with the misfires for a few weeks.

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 09-21-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlifephantom
I forgot to update this thread...

The manufacture of the oil cooler pipe had mentioned that the part would fit on my 05 4.2 A6. After taking the oil cooler apart and doing a detailed inspection... that part looked like it doesn't exist on my car, it should've been a plastic part. I ended up replacing one of the o rings/seals on the oil cooler feed for the 2nd time and it appears the leak has stopped. The first time a buddy of mine used a new seal he had laying around and there was still a leak, the 2nd time I used a Victor Reinz seal. I had my buddy do most of the work since he had a lift and was much easier to work. It's been about 5 months and no leak.

My only issue now that doesn't seem to relate to the oil cooler at all is a misfire on cylinder 1, 2, and 3 which started after I replaced both engine mounts. My guess is either carbon build up, clogged injector or fuel pump. Spark plugs were changed in February with NGK Platinums. The coilpacks were changed by the dealer about a year and a half ago but I ended up replacing them again 2 weeks ago and still had the same misfires. Also in the very back of my mind... worst case scenario... a broke chain guide or something related to the timing chain.

I plan on seafoaming the motor, vacuum line and fuel tank tomorrow morning... hoping the issue gets fixed. If not my next step would be replacing fuel filter again (also replaced in February) then followed by fuel pump if the problem still exists.

At the moment, check engine light flashes, car idle very rough, rpms stutter almost as if the motor wants to shut off on its own but still drives when there's gas. Been driving it with the misfires for a few weeks.
Appreciate the follow-up. FWIW, your engine shouldn't suffer from carbon, since it's non-FSI. Your symptoms sound very similar to something I had recently when I changed the air filter and some how left the plastic pipe section which attaches to the throttle body a bit loose. By allowing air to get into the throttle body directly and by-passing the air system, the car was behaving very poorly...rough idle, check engine, poor response at throttle, and misfires. Fortuantely I noticed the mistake quickly and tied down the pipe properly and was on my way with no issues.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Appreciate the follow-up. FWIW, your engine shouldn't suffer from carbon, since it's non-FSI. Your symptoms sound very similar to something I had recently when I changed the air filter and some how left the plastic pipe section which attaches to the throttle body a bit loose. By allowing air to get into the throttle body directly and by-passing the air system, the car was behaving very poorly...rough idle, check engine, poor response at throttle, and misfires. Fortuantely I noticed the mistake quickly and tied down the pipe properly and was on my way with no issues.
I cleaned out my throttle body today.... reseated it using VCDS but in the process of putting the intake boot back on to the throttle body... some how the vacuum port from the intake boot that connects to the throttle body broke off... I attempted to epoxy it but didn't not work out to well.... ended up just ordering a new aftermarket intake pipe and new hoses while I was at it. In the process... I also noticed a hose that looks like it's loose in the back of the motor.

Can anyone confirm if this is an issue?