A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Oil pressure sensor replaced 3 times in a week--EPC Fault intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure sensor replaced 3 times in a week--EPC Fault intermittent

Background:
Whats up everyone my 2010 Audi A6 has shown an EPC fault-do not exceed 4000RPM's. Using my Vagcom I pulled the code (005707-oil pressure switch~ P164B) and determined since I do not have a lift this is a little outside the scope of my technical savvy. Now my car has been at the dealership for about a 1-1/2weeks I have had to drive a loaner 2016 Q5(oh nooooo ). Anyways I have picked the car up 3 times and the dealership has replaced the oil pressure sensor 2 times in a week, 3 if you count the original. They have the Master Tech working with Audi Germany direct on my car and can't figure it out why it keeps doing this. I've searched for an answer and found most people replaced the sensor and never looked back. For me its 3 sensors and a oil pressure test later as they keep "fixing" it and I keep getting up the street and have to turn around. I'm still in the 2016 Q5 (maybe its destiny) This is the only fault my car is showing, my car is maintained no leaks no headaches no problems until now.

Question:
Who has run into the 005707-oil pressure switch~ P164B fault and what was the identified problem and solution of the issue?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2016, 02:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update: The car is still with the dealer, they have escalated the problem to the shop manager who did a fourth switch and ran a wire direct from the switch and decided it is definitely the switch. They now think something in the coding is messed up but they don't know for sure.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After 2 weeks Im now being told its not the oil pressure sensor its the ECM and I need a replacement has anyone run into this?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since no one has been of help they are saying my ECM failed and I have a new one on order so we shall see. I guess its time to trade in
Old 08-05-2016, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The the ecm was replaced and the problem is still there and now there is an additional code P1719 - 002 - lower limit exceeded (mechatonic) in addition to the original problem P146B - 000 - Oil Pressure Switch. The dealership is at a complete loss and still have the car, still no one has run into this issue?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey friend, did you solve the problem? I'm with the same problem in a Jetta 2.0 engine tsi
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Axelbtsi
Hey friend, did you solve the problem? I'm with the same problem in a Jetta 2.0 engine tsi
No, the ECM was replaced and the car did it again, the dealership eventually pulled and cleaned the oil pan and oil pan filter. I have not had any issues since.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So, you think the problem was in the ECM or the oil filter?

Originally Posted by Phelpha
No, the ECM was replaced and the car did it again, the dealership eventually pulled and cleaned the oil pan and oil pan filter. I have not had any issues since.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this same fault on an A4 2.0T 2011. I have replaced both switches (actually 164b refers to the main oil switch not the 'reduced pressure switch' if you have two like I do). I have traced the wire back to the connector under the dash for good continuity. I have pressure tested the switch, both the replacement and the original, and they both switch on at the correct pressure. Still no joy. I have now cleaned out the oil pan and have ordered a new oil pressure control valve (used on the self-regulating pumps that operate in two modes). I'll post if I ever find a solution. I also did an oil pressure test which showed I was below spec at idle and above 3700rpm. Not sure what to do about that one.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys, have you solved the problem?

I have the same problem on a VW Jetta 2.0 TSI 2012, I think is the same engine of your A4 gbmarc.
My mechanic have replaced the switches but the problem still appearing, also he tested the oil pressure and it was fine.
Now we'll try to replace the oil pump and the oil pressure valve, but I'm without faith that it will work.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sensor replaced 3 times in a week--EPC Fault intermittent