A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Opinions Wanted.. To buy or not to Buy??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Wanted.. To buy or not to Buy??

My employer is offering me his used 06 A6 4.2 for $6500.
185,000 miles..
Technology package
Interior in Great condition, everything works as it should
all 55,000 mile services performed
body is in excellent condition with very few blemishes

I borrowed the car for the weekend and noticed:

Needs front tires
Needs rear brakes
Drivers door handle pulling away from door
Front passenger door does not lock
Rear passenger door must be slammed to latch
Air bag light is on
faulty tire pressure sensor

Car drives exceptionally well as the miles are mostly highway.. Im unsure if the timing chain tentioners have been serviced of not.

IS THIS A GOOD BUY???
I figure if the car only lasted another year, i could prob part it out and recover most of the money???

Thoughts please!!!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshLotterman
My employer is offering me his used 06 A6 4.2 for $6500.
185,000 miles..
Technology package
Interior in Great condition, everything works as it should
all 55,000 mile services performed
body is in excellent condition with very few blemishes

I borrowed the car for the weekend and noticed:

Needs front tires
Needs rear brakes
Drivers door handle pulling away from door
Front passenger door does not lock
Rear passenger door must be slammed to latch
Air bag light is on
faulty tire pressure sensor

Car drives exceptionally well as the miles are mostly highway.. Im unsure if the timing chain tentioners have been serviced of not.

IS THIS A GOOD BUY???
I figure if the car only lasted another year, i could prob part it out and recover most of the money???

Thoughts please!!!!!
Go for it...sounds like a low cost risk for a great vehicle
Old 10-27-2014, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd needle him down some. Some of those could be pricey fixes.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

WOW 77 views and only 2 responses??!?! im assuming that means everyone agrees with the answers given??
thanks to the two who did respond!
as for the price, there is really no room for negotiation... its either a yes or a no.. the blue book is $7900.
the brakes and tires are a no brainer.
I would leave the airbag alone
probably fix tire pressure sensor
the doors will need to be addressed right away.. can anyone direct me to a link for securing drivers door handle?? and another link for fixing passenger door so it will lock as it should??
Thanks for reading and responding!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

I will show restraint and not post my service history.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshLotterman
WOW 77 views and only 2 responses??!?! im assuming that means everyone agrees with the answers given??
thanks to the two who did respond!
WOW - you are BRAND new to the forum, NEVER CONTRIBUTED A THING and only two posts ASKING FOR HELP and you feel like you should chastise US because we don't jump to help you instantly? The nerve!

I disagree with RAJ and agree with (and my heart bleeds for) Kevin and the thousands he spent on a similar Audi. (GEEZ Kevin - I was counting on you NOT showing restraint here )

A ten year old A6 4.2 with almost 200K? Maybe if you are an unemployed mechanic with nothing to do.

And you really warm the cockles of us true Audi enthusiasts when you claim: hey if it does not work out, i can chop it up. Yeah, right....

(Sorry Raj - another one hit wonder)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since you had the car for a weekend you should be able to decide. if the car felt right to you while driving it just go for it . problems and faults can happen to any car regardless of mileage. a user on this forum the other day was talking about his blown engine in a 2011 c6.5 with 60k miles on it and I've seen a 2007 c6 with 300k miles meaning you never know what's going to happen just do your inspection on the car and if you like it just go for it
Old 10-28-2014, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
WOW - you are BRAND new to the forum, NEVER CONTRIBUTED A THING and only two posts ASKING FOR HELP and you feel like you should chastise US because we don't jump to help you instantly? The nerve!

I disagree with RAJ and agree with (and my heart bleeds for) Kevin and the thousands he spent on a similar Audi. (GEEZ Kevin - I was counting on you NOT showing restraint here )

A ten year old A6 4.2 with almost 200K? Maybe if you are an unemployed mechanic with nothing to do.

And you really warm the cockles of us true Audi enthusiasts when you claim: hey if it does not work out, i can chop it up. Yeah, right....

(Sorry Raj - another one hit wonder)
With the OP having waited a mind boggling 4 hours before making his second post, I decided that perhaps he should experience owing an older Audi first hand without my experience coloring his decision to buy the car.

With that said, the 4.2 is a great highway car with a wonderful exhaust note. It was my daily driver for 9.5 years and 142k miles and turned me into an Audi enthusiast. It also gave me Audi VIP status at the dealer.

Last edited by KevinGary; 10-28-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
You are right.. my apologies.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is the deal guys.. I am not looking at this car for a daily commuter.. I already have one of those (chevy).. I am looking for a car to drive on nice days, and something that looks nice to take downtown on a saturday night.. Basically, a toy. MAYBE 5,000 miles per year.

My original search was for an E60 V8 6mt (which have their fair share of $ traps), but this Audi became available for a much better price.
I am well aware that any car with high millage may or may not grenade at any given time.. This particular car was lighly used by a 65 yr old man its whole life, and traveled from Michigan to California and back every year. It has been very well maintained at the dealership, and is a true testament to its brand being in such great shape whilst showing 185k on the clock.
I am a mechanic, and capable of doing my own work such as brakes, suspension, filters, driveline issues, fluid/oil changes, interior problems, minor engine work, and would only need to pay for "dealer only" problems. Any catastrophic failures WOULD result in dumping the vehicle for whatever $ i can recover.

When i looked at Kevins extensive service history, i am saying to myself "i would just do that myself", or "i would just ignore that", but sometimes i said "YIKES"!

With all that being said, i apologize to any/all of you i may have offended or irritated.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted.. To buy or not to Buy??