A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Questions about my Audi A6, from a computer nerd

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my Audi A6, from a computer nerd

Hello everyone!

I just joined this forum, seeing a lot of good expert advice, information and also some pretty awesome projects by people (lots of reading material!) and because I have questions.

A bit about myself:

I am 31 years old, I'm from Denmark, I work in software development (Quality Assurance is my speciality) and I am utterly hopeless regarding anything related to mechanics (though in the long run I aim to change that - I have a LOT of respect for mechanics) and I absolutely adore Audis..my dad has an audi, my cousin has an audi, I have had an Audi a4 1.6 from 1995, which served me faithfully without failure, for 10 years (I still miss it really :-/ )and now have a used Audi A6, 2.7, S-Line, Diesel, from 2010, which so far runs like a dream.

Now the context of my upcoming question:

As I'm sure a lot of you awesome people know, an Audi like mine, comes with some level of technology that appeals especially to someone like me (ie. The MMI system) and I've sat and spent a lot of time fiddling with this thing, reading up on what it can do, how to configure more sensitive parts etc.

In doing all this, I noticed that there are a lot of options, like tire pressure, fuel range, fuel capacity and other such things, which despite my best efforts, I have been unable to get displayed anywhere, also I find the interface a bit dull, but that's a different topic altogether.

I slightly suspect that while the software is there, perhaps the actual mechanical parts and sensor equipment aren't, which means that I can enable these things jut fine, but nothing will get displayed - though I could be wrong about this.

My question:

How do I, software or mechanically, go about seeing something like tire pressure in my MMI? The option is there and it is enabled, but not displayed anywhere in any cluster. Same question for all the other options like fuel range, fuel capacity and so forth.

Also any hints about configuring/using the MMI would be appreciated! :-)

Bonus question:

Are there any computer/MMI hardware upgrades available? I know this may sound silly, but sometimes I think it's a shame that the system isn't more smooth, has touch screen, video capabilities and so forth..and if so, what do things like that cost? including perhaps getting someone to install it for me..I most likely can't afford this just yet, but it's nice to have long term projects :-)

Thank you in advance for any help/answers rendered!

Regards
- Jacob
Old 04-16-2015, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh and one more thing!

I currently run this version of MMI:

mmi bnav_eu_p0022_d1

And I've noticed a few weird things here and there (like navigation sometimes going "Now turn left!" in a round about, or going completely nuts in other situation)..is there an update? And is it worth getting if there is one? And what does such things cost?
Old 04-16-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are some things that you can do - C6 Easter Eggs

Also -

A6 C6 VCDS Changes - Post & Pre Facelift
Old 04-16-2015, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

You might find this interesting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqddpcb9hn...trics.pdf?dl=0
Old 04-16-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I don't think I'm quite ready for doing it myself tbh..Never done a single thing mechanical in my life, but good info nonetheless!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just my two cents on MMI- I just got my 06 Audi a6 4.2 so I've been doing required maint. I upgraded my MMI through a member here-(or Audiworld) Raj99 Sundance. His software and Navigation CDs were well worth the money.

I lost some functions that you want to acquire e.g. battery level. However, after speaking with an Audi "guy" I chose to not re-establish Battery Level, Tire Pressure system of Climate control.
Yes, the car has the ability for these functions built in BUT sometimes too much information is too much. Do I really need the system to tell me 3 tires are at 38psi and one is at 36psi? No, I need to put air in my tires at times- so I'll di it. Plus, when the TP sensor battery goes all you see is the damn tire icon on the dash. Oh, my! my battery level is at 72%! What will I do? I replace it every 5 years so who need it. I found the Climate control popping up on the MMI screen annoying. I want to keep my eye on the Nav screen and the CC take 10 seconds to fade out. its too much. You can get the needles to sweep across the gauges- Wow- that's cool- but what does it do? Who sees it to make it cool? Would they even know that's cool? Focus on maint. do the plugs and filter-change the oil- a car that runs good is way cooler than one with silly mmi functions
Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I meant to say: Audizine.com I would add I'd enjoy playing music through the Bluetooth function from my phone, but I think it requires a Dennison (sp) box install.