A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replacement climate control module not working

Old 09-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement climate control module not working

Hello all,

I have a 2005 A6 quattro without stock heated seats. Because my car package didn't come with stock heated seats, I purchased a used replacement climate control module with the heated seats buttons in preparation for installing a heated seats kit. However, upon installing the replacement module, the climate screens both display "Off" where the temperatures are supposed to be displayed. The only buttons that work on it are the defrost and defog buttons. The econ on/off button only lights up when pushed while the car is off. I also can't control the climate from the main dash screen and control ***. I reinstalled my old climate control module back for now and it worked perfectly. The replacement module was said to be working. Any idea why the replacement one won't work, other than it could be faulty?

On a side note, I've read on the forums that there's debate on this car model without a heated seats package over whether it actually comes with heat elements within the seats. Some said it would be cheaper for Audi to make all seats one way and thus include the heat elements. The only things missing would be the dash buttons and the wiring harnesses. Any insight over these claims?
Old 09-27-2013, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

It would not surprise me if you need to recode the car through a VAG-COM for the new module to work. Hopefully someone else on the forum knows the answer.

With regards to the seat heaters, if they are installed there will be a connector for them under each seat. I doubt you will be that lucky.

Installing seat heaters is a challenge but not beyond a DIY project. I have replaced a burned out unit in a 1995 S6. It took about 1/2 day. You will have to remove the seats from the car and then remove the seat covers. Each seat has two heating elements, one on the seat cushion and one on the backrest You will need the Audi heater elements because I believe they are equipped with thermostats. There are cheap afetermarket heaters but they are not thermostatically controlled.

If you do manage to add the heaters take a lot of photos and write up a how-to. It will be useful for those of us who need to replace burned out heater elements in the future.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Agree with SchwarzS6 on this...sounds like it could be a recoding issue since the ECU has no ability to dynamically 'understand' changes in it's peripherals (i.e. climate control module), without being programmed to accept the changes and also to 'learn' what attributes can be turned on vs. off.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
It would not surprise me if you need to recode the car through a VAG-COM for the new module to work. Hopefully someone else on the forum knows the answer.

With regards to the seat heaters, if they are installed there will be a connector for them under each seat. I doubt you will be that lucky.

Installing seat heaters is a challenge but not beyond a DIY project. I have replaced a burned out unit in a 1995 S6. It took about 1/2 day. You will have to remove the seats from the car and then remove the seat covers. Each seat has two heating elements, one on the seat cushion and one on the backrest You will need the Audi heater elements because I believe they are equipped with thermostats. There are cheap afetermarket heaters but they are not thermostatically controlled.

If you do manage to add the heaters take a lot of photos and write up a how-to. It will be useful for those of us who need to replace burned out heater elements in the future.

Good luck!
Thank you both for the input. I'll dig deeper using VAG-COM and will keep you posted. Hopefully that's all it will take for it to accept the replacement module. As for the claims, I'll look for the connectors under the seat and see if I have them already. Should I need to install heat elements, I'll be posting a how-to write-up as requested.

Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default The climate control components are touchy. Use the same motherboard if possible

Originally Posted by amwafa
Hello all,

I have a 2005 A6 quattro without stock heated seats. Because my car package didn't come with stock heated seats, I purchased a used replacement climate control module with the heated seats buttons in preparation for installing a heated seats kit. However, upon installing the replacement module, the climate screens both display "Off" where the temperatures are supposed to be displayed. The only buttons that work on it are the defrost and defog buttons. The econ on/off button only lights up when pushed while the car is off. I also can't control the climate from the main dash screen and control ***. I reinstalled my old climate control module back for now and it worked perfectly. The replacement module was said to be working. Any idea why the replacement one won't work, other than it could be faulty?

On a side note, I've read on the forums that there's debate on this car model without a heated seats package over whether it actually comes with heat elements within the seats. Some said it would be cheaper for Audi to make all seats one way and thus include the heat elements. The only things missing would be the dash buttons and the wiring harnesses. Any insight over these claims?
There is 6 screws and 2 bolts(under the *****) you need to take off to replace just the buttons. Solves quite a few problems. Using the motherboard from your old component solves the not being compatible with your car problem. If you send me the parts I can make the change for you. I just did it to my 06 A6. Best of luck and it's probably too late anyways.