A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S6 V10 reliability and driveability

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer sez' new long block on the way

My wife's daily driver is a 07 S6 with 63K on it. I bought it CPO with 45K - don't know how it was treated prior. Started to blow white smoke last week which was coming from the oil separator. Bad cylinder results in significant "blow by" overwhelming the oil separator. New long block for $80.00. Will report back if forensics can dig up a cause. This is the first real problem we have experienced with the car.

For a combination of comfort, power, and cool factor, this car is hard to beat. It is my choice for anything but the track, and it works pretty well there. It would be my daily driver of choice, but alas, I don't have that choice . . . . .

----------
07 S6
05 Z51 Corvette
'69 SCCA Door Slammer 'Cuda @550HP
09 R1200GS BMW
Old 09-24-2015, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We bought our '08 S6 new and 7 years later, we're still in love with it. It is my daily driver. No reliability issues, just needs gas, tires and brakes. We also have a '12 A7 3.0, my wife's daily driver. It has a hair trigger and loves to go fast. The great people at Phil Long Audi in Colorado Springs pamper it (and us).
Old 09-25-2015, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this thread has awoken from a long rest, I'll add my comments....

I bought an S6 earlier this year with 56k miles. This is my third 6 series Audi. The power is great, the sound is great, the seats are great. I like the size; an A8 is probably too big for me. The worst thing I can say about the car is the gas mileage. Typically I'm in the 16 mpg range but every now and then I'll be happy to find that I got 17 mpg!

I have not had any major repairs but as others have said, repairs are not cheap. I spent $4.9k on an ext warranty through USAA, $800 on the 55k service, $1.5k on pads, front rotors and flush. Finally I spent $1.4k on pilot SS tires and an alignment, which made a huge difference in the ride. The tires it had looked good but were terrible. So all told, I have put $8.7k into a 6 year old vehicle before any major problems and I'm still happy with it.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I also have a 2007 S6. It is right around 54k miles now. Car has been completely trouble free so far. It does drink fuel, and the tires aren't cheap. But the sound is absolutely amazing. I love that it drives like a luxury car in D mode, but in S mode it has a whole different character.

As much as I love the car, some life changes are dictating that I'm probably going to have to sell the S6 in the next few months. So if you know anyone looking....
-Dan
Old 11-05-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Your S6

Originally Posted by cord4530
I also have a 2007 S6. It is right around 54k miles now. Car has been completely trouble free so far. It does drink fuel, and the tires aren't cheap. But the sound is absolutely amazing. I love that it drives like a luxury car in D mode, but in S mode it has a whole different character.

As much as I love the car, some life changes are dictating that I'm probably going to have to sell the S6 in the next few months. So if you know anyone looking....
-Dan
How much are you asking for it.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi everybody. a few years passed. I was wondering if any of you still own an S6 and what are the costs of repairs on your cars that by now should have 100k+ miles
Any major repairs?
I am debating buying a 2008 now with about 90000 miles on it.

Much appreciated
Old 03-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hey xplosive, I just spent about $5K in maintenance around December. - It's not my daily driver...think I let it sit for too long inbetween driving it, which might have contributed to some issues. I had several oil leaks, with one still on the rear seal which is the back of the engine....that requires dropping the motor to fix...so needless to say....the leak is still there....not too bad but annoying just to know it's there. I still love driving it. At 90k it would be good to know when last a carbon cleaning was done... if you need to do it (recommended every 50-60k i think) it will run about $1100 from a private shop, not sure what dealer charge. Look out for leaks...you wont see it from top and you may not see it on the bottom unless you remove the engine shield. If car checks out and runs great otherwise..then you're in business.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still driving and enjoying my '09 S6 2 years later but have put more miles on it than expected - about to hit 100k. I have had some expensive repairs. Some have been covered by my USAA Ext warranty (Assurant). The ext warranty has covered more than than its $5k cost in repairs. In addition to the ext warranty expense, I have paid another $9k in parts and repairs, including: 2 sets of Mich P/S tires, two brake jobs, Carbon Cleaning, 55k/75k/85k services and a host of other problems like both rear seat belts, ABS sensors, airbag sensor, oil separator, sway bar links/bushings, throttle body gasket, oil leak, headlights, etc. Lots of repairs for just 50k miles and 2 years as the owner.

Sound similar to other experiences?
Old 08-04-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2008 S6

I am thinking about purchasing a 2008 S6 with 85k from a used car dealer. Any advice? This will be my first Audi. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are not going to do your own maintenance & repairs, expect to spend about $5-6k
/yr to keep it up.

Quick Reply: S6 V10 reliability and driveability