A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-25-2016, 02:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

So you want to change your trans fluid???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ThetaTau87
Nice write up. Any idea why ECS sells 8 liters of fluid with their kits if only 5 will go back in after draining?
because if you decide to flush the tranny you will need all 8, if not more.

FWIW, why bother going non-OEM? When I did mine, I went with ZF OEM all the way.

6 Speed oil change kit Audi

Also, here's a GREAT writeup: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...eplacement.pdf
Old 11-12-2014, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
because if you decide to flush the tranny you will need all 8, if not more.

FWIW, why bother going non-OEM? When I did mine, I went with ZF OEM all the way.

Also, here's a GREAT writeup: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...eplacement.pdf
I'll use OEM and order the parts from Millburn Audi in NJ, but the ECS site is easier to look up parts and get the Audi PNs. They sell genuine Audi and aftermarket parts. Cheaper getting them from Millburn though. I just need to figure out which trans code my wife's car has so I can get the correct filter and gasket.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I finally did a drain, flush, with filter and gasket change on the tranny after 157K

Boy, my tranny needed this drain/flush. The oil that came out was black, dirty, and smelled like the La Brea Tar Pit (see photos). My car wasn't having any real shifting issues, but I knew it was well overdue for one.

I decided to use the Mercon SP ATF instead of the Audi/ZF Lifegurard 6 since members on this forum have had good result with it, and the specs were very similar between the two oils, according to the product information data. Used oem filter and gasket.

Now, the shifting is noticeable smoother and tighter, although I didn't have any real shifting problems prior to the change.
Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

At least there was no dinosaur in your trans!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Schirmer
At least there was no dinosaur in your trans!
lol agree with Bob on that

Glad you did the tranny service Justin...and based upon what came out, it was long overdue, but as the old saying goes, better late than never.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I recently did a trans fluid/filter change along with the front, center and rear differential fluids at 85K miles. The fluids were dark but not burnt. The Audi runs smoother now with new fluids.

One comment about the trans fluid change. I originally leveled the car by leveling the transmission pan but only was able to pump in 4 liters. I then leveled the car by using the frame rail and was able to pump in the additional liter of trans fluid. I always measure what I took out to make sure that I put the correct amount back in.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

anyone did it on an S6? i'm about to do it this weekend but last time I had the car on the lift I saw its a pretty tight space between the exhaust and the pan on the V10, just trying to find out if I have to lower the exhaust or I can get away by squeezing the pan out of there.
thanks
P.S. im doing the whole drivetrain flush as well (front and rear diff, transmission and transfer-case)
Old 12-03-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99

+1 for CTSC.
Klaus was quite helpful to me. It may be worth mentioning that the kit for the 6HP19A was not shown for a while on the website (there was a page, but it said out of stock , or something). So, I fainaaly called and he said they had taken it down due to low demand, but could put together the same kit for me. So that's what we did. Recommend supporting this supplier!
Old 08-23-2015, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am about to prepare for this myself. I was wondering if anyone has details on the flushing itself. I have read that just changing filter and draining oil is 5-6 liters and flushing is 8-9 liters but can't seem to find any info on the flushing procedure. Also read in the service bulletin in the link provided is 16 .. I imagine this is purging also? Wow!

Does anyone have any experience here?

Dealer told me I have the newer fluid in there and gave me the part number G060162A2 - equivalent to ZF Lifeguard 8. Now it's just down to exactly how much to get and how to flush. Thanks!

Last edited by turbo97se; 08-23-2015 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by turbo97se
I am about to prepare for this myself. I was wondering if anyone has details on the flushing itself. I have read that just changing filter and draining oil is 5-6 liters and flushing is 8-9 liters but can't seem to find any info on the flushing procedure. Also read in the service bulletin in the link provided is 16 .. I imagine this is purging also? Wow!

Does anyone have any experience here?

Dealer told me I have the newer fluid in there and gave me the part number G060162A2 - equivalent to ZF Lifeguard 8. Now it's just down to exactly how much to get and how to flush. Thanks!
I just had my fluid and filter done at the dealership. They upgraded to the newer fluid (They claimed the older original fluid was no longer available), and updated the software. Total cost with tax - $834. They said the cant really "flush" the system. I inquired on how they got all 9 liters out if you only get 5 when you drop the pan. The reply was that they have a machine to "suck" it out. At 97,500 Miles, I wasn't having any real issues to speak of, but it just wasn't shifting as smooth as I though it should. I definitely noticed an improvement on the smoothness of shifting after the change. I can now sleep better at night, and as I explained to the wife, I feel it is better to spend the $800+ now, and have it be scheduled, rather than spend who knows how much money unexpectedly down the road. I usually don't shy away from DYI projects, but when it comes to a transmission, I'd rather not take my chances.

Quick Reply: So you want to change your trans fluid???