A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Something doesn't feel right! Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something doesn't feel right! Help

Ok. 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro S-Line

Today, I was driving to a local store and I notice my car was acting really strange. I pulled out of my driveway and the car felt like it was struggling to move. The engine got louder as in like a deep loud rumble as I stepped on the gas and felt like it had a loss of power. I know the valve cover has a slight oil leak that was discovered about 2 weeks ago (which I'm scheduled to get the work done on Tuesday). Also, it felt like the car wasn't shifting the way it used to yesterday.

Now... if my engine oil was low and causing this issue wouldn't the "low oil" light pop up on the dash? Also wouldn't something pop up under "Engine" in VCDS? (States no fault codes were found). I notice that there is no way for me to check the oil level as well. The option to check oil level on the MMI display is grayed out and nothing about oil level shows up on the dash. I'm starting to think the oil level sensor is not working or it could be something else. While going through VCDS and under "Auto Trans" I noticed there is no serial number for my transmission... is this normal? Anyone's 2 cents is appreciated.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlifephantom
Ok. 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro S-Line

Today, I was driving to a local store and I notice my car was acting really strange. I pulled out of my driveway and the car felt like it was struggling to move. The engine got louder as in like a deep loud rumble as I stepped on the gas and felt like it had a loss of power. I know the valve cover has a slight oil leak that was discovered about 2 weeks ago (which I'm scheduled to get the work done on Tuesday). Also, it felt like the car wasn't shifting the way it used to yesterday.

Now... if my engine oil was low and causing this issue wouldn't the "low oil" light pop up on the dash? Also wouldn't something pop up under "Engine" in VCDS? (States no fault codes were found). I notice that there is no way for me to check the oil level as well. The option to check oil level on the MMI display is grayed out and nothing about oil level shows up on the dash. I'm starting to think the oil level sensor is not working or it could be something else. While going through VCDS and under "Auto Trans" I noticed there is no serial number for my transmission... is this normal? Anyone's 2 cents is appreciated.
Go to the front of your car, open the hood and remove the dipstick...that how you check the oil level on your car. The C6 does not have an electronic means of displaying the level of your oil. FWIW, if the oil light does come on you will be severely low on oil. Although the car is advanced, it's not THAT advanced...you're going to have to get up and actually do stuff from other that the driver seat

Also, you transmission type is stamped on it and can easily be seen from under the car.

As for your issue with regards to "loss of power", it could be that your tranny is going or perhaps something worse. Upload a FULL TEXT log of your VCDS and not the little picture captures you've been doing.

Loss of power isn't usually a low oil issue, but if you already know you have such an issue the car could have other issues which are just manifesting themselves now. Could be spark plugs, coil packs, fuel injectors, etc...
Old 12-04-2016, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Also, if you have a bad valve cover gasket the oil could be getting into the spark plug hole and causing a misfire. If that were happening it would show up in a VCDS scan.

I do not know about the 2005 but I know that my 2008 has an oil level sensor which will come on when you are 1 quart low. I do not think that VCDS tells you the level, as raj99 says, that is what the dipstick is for. Note that it is very unlikely that you would be down a quart due to a leaking valve cover gasket. If that much had leaked there would be a large oil slick where you park your car.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Also, if you have a bad valve cover gasket the oil could be getting into the spark plug hole and causing a misfire. If that were happening it would show up in a VCDS scan.

I do not know about the 2005 but I know that my 2008 has an oil level sensor which will come on when you are 1 quart low. I do not think that VCDS tells you the level, as raj99 says, that is what the dipstick is for. Note that it is very unlikely that you would be down a quart due to a leaking valve cover gasket. If that much had leaked there would be a large oil slick where you park your car.
Where is the dipstick located? The only dipstick I see is a orange handle dipstick on the front right side of the motor that I believe says ATF...

There has been pretty good oil spots whereever I park.

I also notice that my coolant level is a little below the minimum line. What color coolant do you guys use and what brand? My current coolant color is blue/green.

I will try and upload my VCDS log when I get a chance.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

The orange dipstick is for the oil. The transmission is sealed and there is no dipstick for the tranny.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OP, I'd strongly recommend you read your vehicle owners manual to familiarize yourself with the basics of the vehicle.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
The orange dipstick is for the oil. The transmission is sealed and there is no dipstick for the tranny.
Is it? That's what I thought but I saw ATF on it and thought it was some how related to the tranny. Thanks for the clarification, I now feel really dumb.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
OP, I'd strongly recommend you read your vehicle owners manual to familiarize yourself with the basics of the vehicle.
You're right. I actually haven't touch the manual yet.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I also notice that my coolant level is a little below the minimum line. What color coolant do you guys use and what brand? My current coolant color is blue/green...
Your coolant is supposed to be G-012-A8F-A4, which is definitely NOT blue/green. It's looks like the previous owner didn't care what they put in as coolant and just put in whatever was handy. Your coolant should be G12+, which is PINK in color.

Last edited by raj99; 12-04-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You're right. I actually haven't touch the manual yet.
Spend the time and read it...you'll be better informed about the basics.