A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-22-2016, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Transmission Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Fluid Change?

Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my transmission fluid and filter this weekend. It wasn't as hard as I originally thought it was going to be. I'm no professional mechanic, but I'm a quick learner. I simply followed this particular online tutorial at Ehow.com.

Step-by-step Procedure:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5000414_chan...i-quattro.html

I used this kit from Blauparts.com and bought two extra quarts of the same exact ATF at a local NAPA Auto Parts store just in case I run into any problems and was I ever glad that I did. I ended up using 7 quarts total because of some unanticipated spillage.

Audi Automatic Transmission Filter Kit:
http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...onfluidvagtool

So far so good. My A6 has 128,000 miles on it and the ATF has never been replaced. I noticed (I think...) some improvement with the shifting, but I tend to feel this way after every oil change or car wash as well. At least, I know that my ATF and filter will be good for another 50-60K miles. The old ATF that drained out was quite dirty. I'm sure that my tranny feels a lot better now.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What kit from Blauparts?

I didn't see a kit for the 2005 4.2 A6. What year is your car?

Mine is now showing signs of the torque converter internal seal going bad. Still have not heard back from the dealer regarding what prior work has already been done. <sigh>

Looking at a 'Precision' converter as a possibility. Will find out tomorrow what the price for it is. Seems like it is going to be a long weekend pulling a transmission out....

Originally Posted by tartar
I just replaced my transmission fluid and filter this weekend. It wasn't as hard as I originally thought it was going to be. I'm no professional mechanic, but I'm a quick learner. I simply followed this particular online tutorial at Ehow.com.

Step-by-step Procedure:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5000414_chan...i-quattro.html

I used this kit from Blauparts.com and bought two extra quarts of the same exact ATF at a local NAPA Auto Parts store just in case I run into any problems and was I ever glad that I did. I ended up using 7 quarts total because of some unanticipated spillage.

Audi Automatic Transmission Filter Kit:
http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...onfluidvagtool

So far so good. My A6 has 128,000 miles on it and the ATF has never been replaced. I noticed (I think...) some improvement with the shifting, but I tend to feel this way after every oil change or car wash as well. At least, I know that my ATF and filter will be good for another 50-60K miles. The old ATF that drained out was quite dirty. I'm sure that my tranny feels a lot better now.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine is a 2000 2.8L A6. Here's the ATF & filter kit for your car.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=F2A1007-D

I'm pretty sure that the step-by-step instructions would be identical.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tartar
Mine is a 2000 2.8L A6. Here's the ATF & filter kit for your car.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=F2A1007-D

I'm pretty sure that the step-by-step instructions would be identical.
Not sure that's correct, but I'll contact blauparts to find out. Mine isn't an AllRoad, rather, it's a A6-C6 sedan, which I don't see specifically listed.

Have a quote from Precision Torque Converters to rebuild my unit, new clutches, updated seal, $262.00. They seem to have a very good reputation, and knew exactly what I meant about the updated seal materials.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by zzz4
It's difficult to comprehend a recommendation of lifetime ATF. There is also a lot of cynicism on what "lifetime" means.

It's pretty much like extended oil change intervals (I still see people recommending oil changes at 1,000 [one thousand] miles on direct injection engines, or people arguing that using 0W-20 oil in Hondas or Fords will kill your engine]. New things like this are unconventional. In 10 years lifetime ATF will be a norm even on cars like Chevrolet and there will still be people who change it every 15k miles.
Any Livery or Taxi or police Crown Victoria drives for ~300K around New York. And I did not hear from any of them that they change ATF.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm planning on bringing the car in for the 65K service and want to have the tranny serviced as well. Dealer is not opposed to doing the work. Wouldn't give me too much definitive info until the get the car up and check the tranny serial #. He did say that it was possible they would only be able to swap fluid but have no option as far as the filter.

Anyone on this thread with a 4.2 that has done this, can you confirm on whether or not filter can be replaced?....thx
Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
Anyone done a tranny fluid change yet? I see them done for older models but haven't seen one done for the C6.
I finally got around to doing the trans fluid change(got the parts end of March). Was not a bad job at all. Will write up a step by step with a few pictures in the next weel or so. Want to recheck level and have the wife give me some feed back on any improvement in shifting. One thing I can tell you now, that old oil was getting wore out. The new fluid smelled like rear axle lube with friction modifier just thinner. Did not smell like your typical atf. I am going to send a sample in to get analyzed and will post that with the tutorial.

Bob
Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Attached is a link to a service guide put out by ZF the manufacturer of the transmission in our Audis. The link discusses that the transmission is designed to be maintenance free. However, it also says that the fluid should be changed every 8 years or between 80,000 kilometers (50k miles)and 120,000 kilometers (75k miles) depending on driving style. Accordingly, Audi's claim of "lifetime" is based on a lifetime of 8 years and 75,000 miles. Personally I inited on keeping the car for longer than 75,000 miles.

http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...011_en0700.pdf
As stated in this post. If you are going to keep the car beyond 100K then it's a good idea to change the fluid around 100K and that way it will last till the car has to be scrapped. By dropping the pan, changing the filter and filling to the recommended level using VAG-COM you will not get all the fluid out, you get about 60% changed, but you will get a lot better viscosity and most importantly new filter that will get all the leftovers shavings.

I did the change on my old B5 Passat at 100K and the filter and fluid was full of shavings, brown in color and stank like dead body. The tranny did get crispier shifting, and smoothed out when stopped and in D. I suggest that you get the fluid and the filter yourself and just pay mechanic for the labor if you can't do it yourself.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am going to change my tran fluid also (123k), do you still plan on doing a write up?

Originally Posted by Robert Schirmer
I finally got around to doing the trans fluid change(got the parts end of March). Was not a bad job at all. Will write up a step by step with a few pictures in the next weel or so. Want to recheck level and have the wife give me some feed back on any improvement in shifting. One thing I can tell you now, that old oil was getting wore out. The new fluid smelled like rear axle lube with friction modifier just thinner. Did not smell like your typical atf. I am going to send a sample in to get analyzed and will post that with the tutorial.

Bob
Old 11-22-2011, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 05whtaudia6
I am going to change my tran fluid also (123k), do you still plan on doing a write up?
Yes I did one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change?