A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-22-2016, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Transmission Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Fluid Change?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Avantt007
wait a minute...i believe the C6 A6 has a sealed transmission and don't need a "flush". Someone correct me here, but I don't believe tranny oil is listed in our scheduled maintenance manual
Hey guys, I just got back from my mechanic (having rear brakes and oil change done) and he said "you do not change the fluid in the C6 A6 trans" it is a sealed trans with lifetime fluid. These guys are certified top notch mechanics (well known in my area) and said "No" you don't need to do it on these cars. Why do we hear different reports from people in this fourm?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's difficult to comprehend a recommendation of lifetime ATF. There is also a lot of cynicism on what "lifetime" means.

It's pretty much like extended oil change intervals (I still see people recommending oil changes at 1,000 [one thousand] miles on direct injection engines, or people arguing that using 0W-20 oil in Hondas or Fords will kill your engine]. New things like this are unconventional. In 10 years lifetime ATF will be a norm even on cars like Chevrolet and there will still be people who change it every 15k miles.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by rgarretson
Hey guys, I just got back from my mechanic (having rear brakes and oil change done) and he said "you do not change the fluid in the C6 A6 trans" it is a sealed trans with lifetime fluid. These guys are certified top notch mechanics (well known in my area) and said "No" you don't need to do it on these cars. Why do we hear different reports from people in this fourm?
The tranny's manufacturer calls for fluid changes every 50-80K miles depending on driving conditions. Let me tell you I noticed a big improvement in the tranny's performance after I had the ATF changed at 35K miles.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

zzz4, you are correct about the fact that there will always be people doing it regardless. I was trying to determine if I needed that type of work done on my car. I hear different responses from everyone and the answer is not quite clear. There is the half saying don't do it and there is the half saying it should be done. I straight up asked my mechanic should I do it and he said it is not necessary nor recommended. That is not to say he is 100% correct because honestly i dont know that is why I asked.

KevinGary... I am also not doubting you on your report of it functioning better for you nor am I telling anyone it should not be done. I just don't know what to believe.

I guess "for me" if it aint broke dont fix it answer will have to do for now.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

My Z4 is a lifetime fluid, too. I went to the dealer and asked about the fluid change. The service guy said that he did not know about flushes for these transmissions since they are lifetime but when I asked him to check out, he came back with a quote that it's $60 a quart. It was obvious that they do not do these flushes even though it could be a big revenue item. If a dealer does not try to sell you a flush then it's pretty much clear that it's something that is not recommended.

So I am more inclined to assume that it is indeed lifetime fluid no matter how mind boggling it sounds.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Attached is a link to a service guide put out by ZF the manufacturer of the transmission in our Audis. The link discusses that the transmission is designed to be maintenance free. However, it also says that the fluid should be changed every 8 years or between 80,000 kilometers (50k miles)and 120,000 kilometers (75k miles) depending on driving style. Accordingly, Audi's claim of "lifetime" is based on a lifetime of 8 years and 75,000 miles. Personally I inited on keeping the car for longer than 75,000 miles.

http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...011_en0700.pdf
Old 02-06-2010, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I intend on keeping my for a long time as well, I will continue to do my research. Mine currently has 83,000 miles. Thanks for you input guys.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I found a ultra sweet A6 with 40-70K on it..I wouldn't buy it unless (after we negotiated the final price) it had the full flush done. The trannie really is just a big sophisticated hydraulic pump and for the best perforance it needs a first flush after the full break-in period and you'll usually will find ultra fine pieces of metal in the filter, it could end up being your most important (but expensive fluid change *if you plan of keeping the car for more then a 100K but a major piece-of-mind concerning one of the most expensive componates on an A6. I know ppl who don't blink at spending 2 grand on just forged wheels.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum. We recently bought an 06 A6Q for my wife with ~56k on it. I'm working my way through the 55k service and changing the transmission & diff fluids are on my list.

I have seen a lot of posting on a lot of forums about this change and whether or not to do it.

I wonder if anyone who DID do the change sent the fluid off to some place like Blackstone labs to have it tested to see what is actually going on with the oil after xx,xxx miles?

From some of the posts here, it looks as if it would be considerably cheaper to buy the oil through BMW instead of through Audi.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bumpn the old tranny change thread as I'm gonna replace the fluid at my 75k service soon.

Questions:
Where do I get the rteplacement kit and fluid??? I guess the kit includes a new filter, gasket, drain plug o-ring? What else and what fluid should/could I use??? It doesn't have to be the blue 80/qt right? Do I need to specify what tranny I have...thanks. Kev, haven't u done this before?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change?