A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Turn signals playing tricks on me

Old 04-12-2016, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals playing tricks on me

07 Avant and I took apart the rear boot trim for backup camera that is in progress.

When I turn and put the right turn signal on, it will activate the left blinker once sort of randomly then blink right a few times and sometimes then it stops even though it is in the 'lock' position. It does it while driving and parked in the driveway. I haven't really noticed issues on the left, but I use the right a lot more.

It is possible that because I have the rear trim removed, and there are 2 electrical connectors on each side undone, that's what's causing it but wanted to see if anyone else ever noticed this as it could be something in the steering wheel or column?

I searched and found a lot of threads about led issues but all my bulbs are ok on the bottom. My brake light (third I think?) up top does have one or two out though.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An update to this and a question:

After a bit more driving and some research it seems like my blinker problem is a bad turn signal stalk that goes on the steering column. Probably a cheap little part inside but of course I would have to buy the whole stalk piece at $180.

Alternatively, car-part has used columns for $100-$150 that come with a new wheel, all of the stalks and the whole column. This would be win-win since I could get a wheel with paddle shifters!!! and replace my faulty stalk with a hopefully working one and get a few extra parts to boot.

My question is the steering columns are listed as key/no key (push button) and electric height adjustment/not. I do have electric height adjst, but I don't have push button. Do I need to get one that doesn't have push button? If I get one that has push button what parts wont work on mine, just the column itself? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks