A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Vibrating Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrating Headlights

While driving with the headlights on, I am noticing the freeway signs as well as license plates of other cars in front (basically anything onto which my headlights are throwing light on) to flicker in a vibrating motion.

Anyone else has this problem?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
While driving with the headlights on, I am noticing the freeway signs as well as license plates of other cars in front (basically anything onto which my headlights are throwing light on) to flicker in a vibrating motion.

Anyone else has this problem?
Yes sir. Have read a few things about it. When I asked my dealer they said it was normal??? But i've heard them say that about a lot of things that aren't, so who knows.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

It took me two trips to the dealership to have them fix my flickering headlight problem. They had to replaced the HID bulbs, under factory warranty.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you talking about the flashing of the signs and plates? This is a normal thing, Typical of HID or Projector's! If they are actually vibrating or shutting on and off at a fast rate you got problem.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts
Default I assume you're asking about adaptive headlights. For these headlights,...

there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB #98–08–02) re: vibrating adpative headlights. Several causes are listed: loose mounts, reflector mounting damaged, headlight fit to body is bad, resonance with engine at idle. I had the same problem as you describe on my '06 A6 Avant and the dealer ended up replacing the left front headlight assembly (under warranty) to fix problem.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this on one of my lights, and they had to take the bumper off to tighten all the bolts down, and that fixed it for me, now I have the other one "dancing". So I might have to do something about that one too.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I saw that TSB - however, that indicates that the headlights vibrate at idle. I checked them last night and they don't appear to be shaky when the car is stopped with the engine running (idle).

Originally Posted by A6Gary
there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB #98–08–02) re: vibrating adpative headlights. Several causes are listed: loose mounts, reflector mounting damaged, headlight fit to body is bad, resonance with engine at idle. I had the same problem as you describe on my '06 A6 Avant and the dealer ended up replacing the left front headlight assembly (under warranty) to fix problem.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have this issue too and I went to the dealer and they said they where able confirm that my headlights flickered while driving but not at idle. They said that the fix is to replace the bulbs and this would not be covered under warrenty. So I didn't do anything about it. Should I call another dealer and explain the issue to them and see if they'll cover replacing the bulbs? Also, does anyone have the TSB in pdf or anything so i can print it out and take it in?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The longer I'm on these forums the more I find wrong with my car... I thought it was just normal for them to flicker.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porschefan
The longer I'm on these forums the more I find wrong with my car... I thought it was just normal for them to flicker.
lol I hear you. I'm going to proceed as if it <B>is</b> normal!

Quick Reply: Vibrating Headlights