A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Worst (i.e. most expensive) repairs encountered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

This is what happens to the average vehicle owner that has to rely on the dealer for work or advice. They rake you or the Mfgr. over the coals.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
This is what happens to the average vehicle owner that has to rely on the dealer for work or advice. They rake you or the Mfgr. over the coals.
While I do not necessarily agree that all dealers prey on their trusting customers it can sometimes take two to tango. It may seem strange to say but I do hope KevinGary's new ride offers him an equally impressive list of issues to be posted repeatedly as some sort of badge of honor.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
I suspect the service department was creating work to stay busy! One thing led to another and WOW, look at those bills!
Much of the work was my continued wish to have it drive as it did when it left the showroom floor. Had I been willing to have it drive like an older car it would have probably been cheaper.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Perhaps, but much of what is listed is regular maintenance and expenses any owner would incur. I believe we all wish to keep our vehicles driving as near new as possible but there does come a time practicality of decisions must considered particularly if contemplating replacing the vehicle in the near future. Someone fortunate enough to have the skills to do their own repairs has far more leeway in this regard but for us relying upon skilled professionals to maintain their vehicles your experience should serve as a tale of caution as to when emotion outweighs sensibility in vehicle ownership. Hey, it happens. I love my car but if I start pouring major dollars into it at the point I am considering replacing it anyway I'd far rather put the money towards more fun toys on MY new car than to sink all that money into the old car for someone else's benefit. Hindsight might be 20/20 but the writing was on the wall here. Not judging, just saying.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LT2BLT2A6
Perhaps, but much of what is listed is regular maintenance and expenses any owner would incur. I believe we all wish to keep our vehicles driving as near new as possible but there does come a time practicality of decisions must considered particularly if contemplating replacing the vehicle in the near future. Someone fortunate enough to have the skills to do their own repairs has far more leeway in this regard but for us relying upon skilled professionals to maintain their vehicles your experience should serve as a tale of caution as to when emotion outweighs sensibility in vehicle ownership. Hey, it happens. I love my car but if I start pouring major dollars into it at the point I am considering replacing it anyway I'd far rather put the money towards more fun toys on MY new car than to sink all that money into the old car for someone else's benefit. Hindsight might be 20/20 but the writing was on the wall here. Not judging, just saying.
In my particular situation it was not "major dollars" that were being sunk into the old girl. As far as sensibility, my wife will tell you that I have been the President of the More Money than Brains Club for a long time. I enjoyed the old car, she was a great highway car. Plus I taught my children to drive in it and had many fond memories associated with the car. Despite these feelings, once the issues with the old girl shifted from simple dollars to reliability I pulled the trigger. In fact, the very first time the old girl required a flat bed I walked into the front of the dealership and ordered a new car. The new car was delivered three days ago and I am now reading through all of the manuals trying to figure out the 2015 technologies. All of this infra red night vision stuff and sonar scanning is pretty cool but confusing to this old guy.

Last edited by KevinGary; 08-23-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

For the 4.2 pre-FSI, you will eventually have to do some expensive maintenance on the timing chain tensioners and adjusters. If you have the cold-start rattle, and it lasts for more than a second or two, you might wish to preemptively perform the service. I made it to 168k miles before I had the problem.

Seems like the 3.2 FSI has its own share of problems in that area as well.

The 4.2 FSI has a redesigned chain tensioner system, so may be more reliable.

Overall, I love the car, and did the required repairs (and a valve job as well), performing the work myself. I plan on keeping the car until accident or rust stakes a claim. I see that the 4.2 is starting to get to the point where 'sleeving' is being done to the block, and it's not horrible expensive, so if I run to the point of the engine scoring the cylinders, I might go that route.

I've addressed most of the same issues as Kevin, but DIY with VCDS and the Bentley manual, rather than dealer.

My -general- opinion is that it is usually cheaper to fix the car you own, rather than purchase a new car, short of the body rusting away.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
In my particular situation it was not "major dollars" that were being sunk into the old girl. As far as sensibility, my wife will tell you that I have been the President of the More Money than Brains Club for a long time. I enjoyed the old car, she was a great highway car. Plus I taught my children to drive in it and had many fond memories associated with the car. Despite these feelings, once the issues with the old girl shifted from simple dollars to reliability I pulled the trigger. In fact, the very first time the old girl required a flat bed I walked into the front of the dealership and ordered a new car. The new car was delivered three days ago and I am now reading through all of the manuals trying to figure out the 2015 technologies. All of this infra red night vision stuff and sonar scanning is pretty cool but confusing to this old guy.
I simply can't believe that you spent approximately $35,000 for maintenance on this car.....
Old 09-17-2014, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Comfy
I simply can't believe that you spent approximately $35,000 for maintenance on this car.....
Well I did own it for a long time. Half the money was spent between 130k and 140k miles. When you consider that the tranny flush and differentials were approximately $1k each I had the fluids changed, which I did in 40k mile intervals, the first 130k miles were pretty reasonable. It just got very old at the. 9 year 130 k mile mark.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, that's true. May be I am too naive ( or in denial) to think that cars shouldn't cost that much to own in the long run.
I'll start walking more now.