A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Worth the risk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worth the risk?

I've had a soft spot for the C6 A6 models ever since they came out. Noticed one sitting by the road on my daily commute and it piqued my curiosity. Heres a link to the craigslist ad: http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/4673014581.html

It's a 2005, 178k miles, but is REALLY nice cosmetic condition inside and out. I've stopped and looked at it in person and you'd never guess it has the miles it does. The catch? They got a shop quote for $6k+ to fix. Shop wants to pull and replace all timing related stuff.

Now.....I am an ASE certified tech. Not scared of this type of work by any means. The owner is willing to let me briefly start it to grab a quick listen to see if it sounds like one or both upper tensioners went. He is also willing to let me run a quick compression test on it.

If the signs point to tensioners and the compression test comes back ok, I will probably buy it because i know thats a one day fix and about $800 in parts and tools. If the compression test hints towards bent valves........I'm not sure I want to get it because I'd have to pull the motor at that point.

My question.......with the mileage, if its just the tensioners, do you think it would be worth picking up? How reliable are the transmission and differentials on these, or how pricey to fix/replace? Other issues i should take into consideration? Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I wouldn't buy a 178K audi with ZF trans that hasn't had the trans fluid changed. It's just a matter of time.
Audi says lifetime fill…ZF says to change the fluid 30-50K miles.

That being said, it all depends on the price. $500 is worth the risk. You can always part it out for the wheels.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 09-21-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

I finally got rid of 05 4.2 after 140k miles because it became a real money pit
Old 09-21-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

4Driver4 on this forum just did this work on a C6 A6 with a 3.2 with about 140k miles. He was able to do both the timing chains and repair the bent valves without pulling the engine. He was able to do the chains from the rear of the engine after pulling the tranny on a lift. He was able to remove the passenger side head with the engine in the car. I stopped by and watched a couple of times while the work was in process and he had plenty of room to work. Having a lift and a tranny jack was key.

It is not clear if this could be done on the 4.2 engine, the extra 2 cylinders will make the engine bay much tighter but the car you are looking at is a 3.2 so it can be done.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looking at the pics I have ZERO doubts of pulling the heads in car. I was however under the impression that to reset the timing you had to have access to the rear of the motor. If not doing the lower chains (which the research I've done show those to rarely if ever have an issue) though, I am under the impression that timing can be set without needing rear motor access. I understand if you're replacing the upper chains you need access, but just the tensioners, you do not.

The trans is a worry point for me. That and the likelyhood of being nickel and dimed by it.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Finally got to look at it closely today. Just cranking the motor over you could hear the chains, tensioner(s) out. Car has barely been run, not driven since the problem first happened. Easy fix for me, especially after seeing how much space there is to work with (I have always had GM 4th Gen F Body cars as toys, those are tight engine bays).

Seller said he'd let me have it for $3500.......really considering it because it was bought in march as a certified pre owned from a local audi dealer. May be worth the risk at this point.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
...really considering it because it was bought in march as a certified pre owned from a local audi dealer. May be worth the risk at this point.
Audi CPO is only offered on cars that are 5 yr or less in service and less than 100k afaik.
but that is really not the issue. If you like the car, go for it but without a detailed service history its hard to know how much other stuff awaits you.

I like the dark blue on cardamom--one of my favourite combos.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FL C6.5 Avant
Audi CPO is only offered on cars that are 5 yr or less in service and less than 100k afaik.
but that is really not the issue. If you like the car, go for it but without a detailed service history its hard to know how much other stuff awaits you.

I like the dark blue on cardamom--one of my favourite combos.
Ok, my bad there. I figured it was a CPO as it was sold at an Audi Dealer. Thanks for the correction. And you're spot on, that color combo is gorgeous.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Decided to take the risk. Will know tomorrow if deal goes through or not.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope it all works out and is a keeper....

Quick Reply: Worth the risk?