A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

'15 A7 - Windshield Wipers Skipping

Old 07-26-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '15 A7 - Windshield Wipers Skipping

Over the past few months (when it does rain) I have noticed that on intermittent or regular speed the wipers skip on the windshield, while on high they do not. Never had the issue before. Replaced wipers and they didn't do it for about a week and then the issue started. Windshield has been cleaned, rain-x'd, clay barred, and still they do this. I have tried everything. Any other suggestions.

Just for reference my A6 does not have that problem.

Also the problem was there before rain-x and after. The clay bar just takes the junk off the windshield so that shouldn't affect it.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know, but I also clay bar and use Rain X and have for many years, so I know that is not the problem. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You have several factors dealing with windshield wipers. One is air flow or aerodynamics which hasn't changed. Another one is the spring tension holding the arm down. You can compare the spring tension to the arms on your A6.

The third is the friction of the rubber on the glass. You said that new wipers did not skip. New wipers and almost every rubber product has mold release on it. You could try wiping the rubber wiper edges with silicone.

The car is under warranty and you could get the dealer to look at it. I would expect them to replace your blades call it good. Put your old skipping blades on before a dealer visit.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

They've replaced them twice already. Tried the silicon, didn't work.

They said the next step may be to replace the windshield. We will see. It goes back to Audi tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would want the dealer to try replacing the wiper arm before replacing the windshield.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I would want the dealer to try replacing the wiper arm before replacing the windshield.
Already been done. Didn't help.

They have some Audi Engineering coming out on Friday to look at it. We'll see.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 487 Likes on 331 Posts

Given there is nothing wrong with the wiper arms (tension) and wiper blades, there must be something wrong with the glass.

A clay bar will not get rid of mineral deposits etched into glass. If so, it sounds like the windscreen needs to be polished.

But it is slightly weird that you have 2 C7 models which are presumably exposed to identical environments, and yet only one has this issue. So I can understand why windscreen replacement is being mentioned. Between the dealer and Audi, seems like they have the right attitude in trying to fix it, as they should.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was thinking about this earlier and was going to mention that one of my past cars had spoilers on the wiper blades. I went out and checked the A7 and it has them on the back of both blades.

Does your car have them? Probably it does but they are small and not very noticeable unless you're looking for them.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I was thinking about this earlier and was going to mention that one of my past cars had spoilers on the wiper blades. I went out and checked the A7 and it has them on the back of both blades.

Does your car have them? Probably it does but they are small and not very noticeable unless you're looking for them.
Not sure. I'll have to look and see.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine does it too. If the glass is constantly wet it doesn't happen. But as soon as it begins s to dry like when using the washer or when the rain has stopped it skips on the last couple swipes falling to fully dry the glass.